Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Upcoming holiday in Whistler - Vancouver/Whsitler locals advice?

Upcoming holiday in Whistler - Vancouver/Whsitler locals advice?

Old Feb 15th 2012, 7:30 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Upcoming holiday in Whistler - Vancouver/Whsitler locals advice?

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Just another thought. For parts of the Sea to Sky Highway winter tires or chains are required between October 1 and March 31.

Although I regularly run this risk and have never seen the rule enforced I believe the police do sometimes check cars, especially in bad weather. To be on the safe side it might be worth asking the rental company if they can supply a set of chains, or you could pop into Canadian Tire
When I lived in Oregon you could buy a set of chains from a local tyre shop and if you didn't take them out of the bag they'd give you a full refund at the end of the snowy season.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

HSJones is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Just another thought. For parts of the Sea to Sky Highway winter tires or chains are required between October 1 and March 31.
Originally Posted by Oink
When I lived in Oregon you could buy a set of chains from a local tyre shop and if you didn't take them out of the bag they'd give you a full refund at the end of the snowy season.
Originally Posted by tee1
I'd just do your shopping in Squamish, its on your way and pretty much the same price as supermarkets in Vancouver. For proper grocery shopping in Squamish, fruit, veg etc go to save on foods which is close to the town centre just of the highway. There's a walmart 5 mins further up the highway, good for frozen stuff

Do NOT do your shopping in Whistler, the prices amount to extortion
For example a normal box of cornflakes in Whistler $6.50, same box in Squamish $2, which is why I regularly head to squamish.
Very good to know. I'll check in to snow chains, maybe ask AVIS about that.
And I think given the earlier advice of there being a home Canucks game, we'll head on straight through and aim for Squamish for groceries and picking up a bottle of wine or two on arrival in Whistler.

We're in Whistler Village north in a self catering apartment. Forecast doesn't look too good over the coming week, but fingers crossed the snow base holds out and it doesn't rain too much!!!
Old Feb 17th 2012, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HSJones
Very good to know. I'll check in to snow chains, maybe ask AVIS about that.
And I think given the earlier advice of there being a home Canucks game, we'll head on straight through and aim for Squamish for groceries and picking up a bottle of wine or two on arrival in Whistler.

We're in Whistler Village north in a self catering apartment. Forecast doesn't look too good over the coming week, but fingers crossed the snow base holds out and it doesn't rain too much!!!
The weather didn't look too good on paper when we were there last week either, but stay away from the bottom 3rd of the mountain and I'm sure it will be great.
I recommend the Max 4 ski lessons where there is one instructor per 4 students. They are doing a great buy 2 days get the 3rd free deal.

Just don't do what I did and break your leg! I'm now stuck at home for 12 weeks of recovery. Puts a bit of a damper on things ;-)
Ski patrol are great though!

Have a fab time