Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The Up/Down Scale

The Up/Down Scale

Old Aug 27th 2005, 5:30 pm
Jelly Belly

Michelle Rodgers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Up/Down Scale

Me and my husband went for his final interview last week regarding our move to Canada (Calgary). While we were there we were shown a scale chart. It showed how we would be feeling from now (before we go) to when we've been there a year. Well, the early stages show an up/down scale - basically going from total euphoria at the thought of the total life change we are about to make to total and utter despair.

At this present moment in time I am LOWER than total despair. WTF am I doing? I CAN'T DO IT. Can I? NO, I can't, can I?

He leaves on the 6th October, Im staying here with our 3 children to sell the house. OMG I can't do it.........................................
Old Aug 27th 2005, 7:26 pm
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Up/Down Scale

I think what you're going through, is not an unknown phenomena to others in the same situation. I know I feel the same way, even if I don't have kids, a husband, or selling a house to think about. Happy as a larch one day, looking forward to going, and then down the next day, thinking I'll "never" hear anything from London. My downs aren't about if I'm doing the right thing, but about the time it takes, and whether I'll make it.
My best advice is to focus on the things that made you want to move to Canada, and keep the focus on those.

You can do it.

Originally Posted by Michelle Rodgers
Me and my husband went for his final interview last week regarding our move to Canada (Calgary). While we were there we were shown a scale chart. It showed how we would be feeling from now (before we go) to when we've been there a year. Well, the early stages show an up/down scale - basically going from total euphoria at the thought of the total life change we are about to make to total and utter despair.

At this present moment in time I am LOWER than total despair. WTF am I doing? I CAN'T DO IT. Can I? NO, I can't, can I?

He leaves on the 6th October, Im staying here with our 3 children to sell the house. OMG I can't do it.........................................
Old Aug 27th 2005, 11:05 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, just TWO WEEKS ago we decided that we would have to do the very same thing ........... well not quite the same actually; we are all going over to Land in Calgary 1 week today!! then I am coming back alone to the UK to continue working to pay the mortgage and get the house packed up and sent out, leaving my hubby and two boys to start the new life without me!

The only thing makes it at all bearable is that we accepted an offer on the house last week, and if all goes well it will complete in 6 weeks or so!! I am not even thinking about if the chain breaks! :scared:

I am booking a flight for me and the dog to join them 13th October, then at least I have a finite time for my misery!! It's amazing, you really can get a house sorted out and a family ready to emigrate in the space of three weeks! If the house sale is not complete by the time I leave, we have given our solicitor power of attorney to finish things up for us. Hubby has an interview 6th September, and I am banking on him getting offered a job, so my earning is not so important, at least for a while.

I too am teetering between extreme terror and excitement, and I have one fingernail left I am saving for a REALLY bad day!!

Come on!...We are the brave ones! ..... WE CAN DO THIS!!!!

{{{HUGS}}}

Morw
Old Aug 28th 2005, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

Believe me, if I can do it anyone can!!

I never wanted to come here and still have regrets, however
it's not all as bad as you think it is.

A lot of the difficulties when you arrive in Canada is going to be related to employment, however Calgary is about the best place in Canada in that regards. It has far lower unemployment than Ontario, fewer immigrants
and a booming economy.

There are many things I don't like about the place, but there is a lot that
is better I assure you. If you have a great job here you'll probably love it.

Old Aug 28th 2005, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

All I can say is keep thinks about the positives. You'll soon find that days in the dumps are outnumbered by the days thinking "Yipee, we are out of here"

We are in the same boat, although I've been in Calgary since the beginning of June. Mrs Posidrive plus our son and the dogs have been stuck back in the UK, also trying to sell our house. There have been some tremendous ups and downs since then, but we still feel we want it to work. Plus in the last couple of days we have had two offers for our house, one of which we have accepted (the other showed a sense of humour ....). So there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Although I don't know what the housing market is like where you live, but don't rely on estate agents. Both our offers came through an ad in a local evening paper. We also put our details on www.propertybroker.com. No direct interest from this but it was a great place to put a really detailed desciption of the house plus photos, that we refered potential viewers from the newspaper ad to when they asked for more info. More viewings in a week from that than in five months from the estate agents!!! Less house tourists!!!!!!!!!!!

So, CHIN UP, you will make it.
Old Aug 28th 2005, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

tobyjug is an unknown quantity at this point

.At this present moment in time I am LOWER than total despair. WTF am I doing? I CAN'T DO IT. Can I? NO, I can't, can I?

He leaves on the 6th October, Im staying here with our 3 children to sell the house. OMG I can't do it.........................................[/QUOTE]

This was like you read my mind !!!, hubby is leaving me and 16 year old daughter here to sell the house, ( not easy with the market dead ) he leaves in a few weeks, (he has a job to go to ) and yes I've been through all the ups and downs, but im keeping positive and keep in mind the new life ahead, ( till tomorrow when it will be a down day lol )
Pat
Old Aug 28th 2005, 3:42 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Feeling that way today. Yesterday was a positive. euphoric one and last week I couldn't wait to go. Must be the dreich weather outside.

I'd love to see that scale. Maybe I could predict where I would be on a given day? We have to organise the medicals in Glasgow and I'm dreading that and thinking: "Maybe we'll just wait off as long as possible and it'll all go away?" To add to the feeling of Doom, we got passport photos for the medicals yesterday and the bl**dy machine stole my money, wouldn't give a refund and then took a photo of me half-in, half-out of the booth, red in the face and attached a calendar to it as a 'FUN' photo. Wouldn't have been too bad if the calendar went past December!!!!

Anyway, I see from this happiness scale: http://asuwoo.20six.co.uk/pub/eiyuu/...ness_scale.jpg

that Puerto Rico is the happiest country on Earth. Now where is the link for their Immigration office?

Best wishes and push on through.