Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Unusual situation?

Unusual situation?

Old Jul 6th 2012, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

OidnGoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Unusual situation?

Hi everyone, been lurking around here for a while now.
Last October we received PR and have plans to move over to BC, October this year.

I've seen lots of posts of folks in similar situations but nothing ever seems to match to your own situation!

My wife will be living in BC 'full time'. I on the other hand will be commuting to Azerbaijan where i have a steady contract (for now).
I will continue to be employed by a UK company and my salary will come from the UK and either paid into my UK bank account or direct into the RBC.
They will pay me without deducting taxes, apart from the Azerbaijan income tax.
I have a 28 days on, 28 days off contract and I'm not sure this whole boring tax thing will work. Regardless of the time spent out of Canada I will be declaring my world wide income but is there the 180 day rule like the UK?

I realise that I need to also meet the 730 day rule to maintain PR.

The more you think about something, the more complicated it's going to be!
I'm not averse to paying tax, I've done it so far, I just don't want to get caught out down the line by not paying something I should have done, or in fact paying tax when I didn't need to

Hopefully you'll all have something to comment on,

BR
Mark.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 3:27 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unusual situation?

Welcome to BE,

Seems to me a no brainer that you will be liable for canadian income tax, you will be resident here about half the year ( so no concerns regarding maintaining PR), and have a wife and home established here.

Save about a third of your income and pay off what you owe in the spring tax season if they cant figure out how to do this at source.

No idea if there are reciprocal tax treaties between Canada and Azerbaijan, it would suck if there isnt.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 6th 2012 at 3:30 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 4:05 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.fin.gc.ca/treaties-conven...aijan_-eng.asp

Article 4 is pretty much the same as the UK Canada treaty.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

Why not get a job in Canada even if it's less money and Spend more time with your wife?
Old Jul 8th 2012, 2:24 am
Just Joined

OidnGoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your comments. That's pretty much what I thought.

I'd rather do my own taxes, when I have access to someone with knowledge rather than let my work sort out the deductions.

As for for getting a job at 'home', well that's the overall plan is to do just that, but in the meantime, I'd thought keeping my current job in the meantime because I can would smooth the move over.
Having read some of the posts on here we're going to need all the help we can get!

Now just need that house in the UK to sell...