Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Unsure where to go

Unsure where to go

Old Nov 7th 2005, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Wayner is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Unsure where to go

mls.ca is defiantly a good research tool. While you’re looking on that site take a look at Calgary and area, Alberta’s economy is booming at the moment and finding a job isn’t a problem to anyone who wants to work.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

karen wild has a brilliant futurekaren wild has a brilliant futurekaren wild has a brilliant futurekaren wild has a brilliant futurekaren wild has a brilliant futurekaren wild has a brilliant futurekaren wild has a brilliant future

we have just come back from a research trip annd we have a small budget and we have decided on chilliwack which is 62 miles east of vancouver. also look at Hope, agassiz, abbotsford, sardis. we have found houses there are about 250,000$ for a single house and for a townhouse of 1700 sq can cost 179,000$.
it is nice there even though i really loved vernon, but little economy around it.
karen

Originally Posted by Grendel
My wife and I have decided to settle in BC, and we're just about to send off our application forms, but we're having serious trouble trying to settle on somewhere to live.

Our plan centres on selling our home and using the £100,000 equity to buy a three or four-bedroom place in Canada, preferably with a decent-sized garden of up to an acre, outright. Our budget rules out anywhere around Vancouver, and we decided that living in the Okanaghan, Kamloops or Kootenay areas would leave us stuck in a relatively small house when we could get much more for our money further afield. Vancouver Island is nice, but I've read a lot about how it's full of tourists every summer, and how hard it can be to get a ferry to the mainland as a result.

After much thought we focused on northern BC, and Prince George in particular, simply because it looked like a reasonably-sized city with enough amenities and property prices that meant we could live in a large house mortgage free. However, looking at previous posts, I discovered that forum members have a very low opinion of PG.

So, does anybody have any suggestions about where we should be heading? We're going on a research trip next summer, and want to narrow down our options? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

guitarslinger is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much for that information. We'll keep looking on the net, this forum, etc, and hopefully our research trip - driving north from Vancouver to Prince George and stopping off at various towns along the route - will give us a better idea of where we should be headed.

I don't know about other people, but we've found it hard trying to settle on a town that's a compromise between what we dream of (a four-bedroom in West Vancouver!) and what we can actually afford. While we're hoping for a decent-sized home, we're not stuck on the idea so much that we want to live in the middle of nowhere just so we can have an acre or two of land.

Surely (fingers crossed!) there's somewhere between Vancouver and PG that has affordable housing, some nice scenery and an economy where there's a reasonable chance of getting a job. We're not looking for paradise, just somewhere pleasant to call home. Here's hoping...
Hi
Why not think about other provinces, like Ontario. there is plenty of small towns and if you stay out of Toronto and Ottawa there is still reasonable pricing on houses to be found. I have been here in Canada 25 years and live in Ontario, athough when I came here first I was going to move out west but by the time I had finished al the paper work I just never got around to moving. The other advantage is if you plan to fly home it's closer from On.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Grendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really nice

Originally Posted by guitarslinger
Hi
Why not think about other provinces, like Ontario. there is plenty of small towns and if you stay out of Toronto and Ottawa there is still reasonable pricing on houses to be found. I have been here in Canada 25 years and live in Ontario, athough when I came here first I was going to move out west but by the time I had finished al the paper work I just never got around to moving. The other advantage is if you plan to fly home it's closer from On.
We thought long and hard about what province to head for, and as far as we're concerned, BC has the best combination of quality of life, scenery and job prospects. Ontario is our Plan B, though!
Old Nov 9th 2005, 3:16 am
Living It!

saund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant future

We thought long and hard about what province to head for, and as far as we're concerned, BC has the best combination of quality of life, scenery and job prospects. Ontario is our Plan B, though!
Agree with the post above. East Fraser Valley, Abbotsford/Chilliwack. Still within easy reach of Vancouver but without the prices. Prices are rising there though at about 10% per annum. Bought a very large up market house there in Apr for £160,000. Is still much more expensive than many other parts of Canada but good value for Vancouver region. As the Olympics approach in 2010 prices are also expected to grow, and for a few years afterwards.
Again use http://www.MLS.ca to see what you will get for your money.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 3:27 am
Living It!

saund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant future

Try this one right on your budget:
go to http://www.mls.ca and in the put this number in the MLS No search box: F2508575

Good Hunting!
Old Nov 9th 2005, 4:20 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

We thought long and hard about what province to head for, and as far as we're concerned, BC has the best combination of quality of life, scenery and job prospects.
BC is also expensive compared to some other provinces, e.g. personal taxation, PST, allowances, cost of groceries, real estate prices, all these could be 'bettered' living elsewhere. So if finances are a serious issue, a trade off against another province is a serious consideration.

Rich.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 10:48 am
Cowtown

Did you notice that Alberta is just on the other side of the Rockies? It also has the good scenery, high quality of life and as someone else pointed out, very good job prospects (in many -but not all- jobs) at the moment

Old Nov 9th 2005, 10:55 am
Just Joined

guitarslinger is an unknown quantity at this point

Remember BC is one of the most expensive places to live. Ontario is the richest province and has the most jobs to offer. I don't know what jobs that you require so that may make a difference. BC is a nice province and generally has a mild and wet climate if you live in Victoria or on the island, up the northern part its colder.
Whatever you decide good luck.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

The options are as follows:

If the location/lifestyle is important then take whatever jobs you can get. If the jobs are your priority then live wherever your employment takes you.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 1:30 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Vancouver Island is nice, but I've read a lot about how it's full of tourists every summer, and how hard it can be to get a ferry to the mainland as a result.
I wouldn't say Vancouver Island is so full of tourist in the summer that it actually creates many problems. In Victoria, certain areas of town can be irritating and are definitely no-go zones for locals but even the busiest moments in Victoria are sedate compared to a normal day in most British cities.

In regards to the ferry, in the summer, on weekends and/or if there's something going on in Vancouver the ferries can be busy but by busy what people on the Island mean is that they drive to the ferry terminal expecting to catch the 2:00 boat but have to wait for the next sailing or possibly the next after that... it's not like you can't actually get on or off the Island anything.... well unless you've missed the last boat of the day (and I've done that a few times! ).

Many years ago it was essentially guaranteed that you could show up 15 minutes before the the next sailing and breeze right on onto the boat... people had it good and that's what they're used to.

Plus, you can fly, helijet, hop on a PCL bus (like a Greyhound bus - they're guaranteed to get on the ferry) or 'walk on' the ferry and hitch a ride (taxi, hitch hike, city bus, PCL into Vancouver). Actually, a lot of people who live on the Island rarely go to the mainland anyway... the whole point of the Island is that it's an island and you're away from Vancouver and the rest of the mainland and the world! When living on the Island, I have had a stretch of about 5 plus years when I hadn't touched my feet on the mainland. Most people don't miss it... or prefer to go down to Seattle instead.

£100,000 won't buy what you're looking for in or near Victoria but it could elsewhere on the Island. Vancouver Island isn't teaming with jobs but there are a lot of entrepreneurial opportunities (imo). I'm not sure how close, or if, you need to be where there are jobs.

Good luck!
Old Nov 10th 2005, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

The sight www.mls.ca is THE WAY to in a few hours see what Canada costs re. a place to live.

BC is WET basically.

Come to NB, they are so friendly, the housing is lovely.

OOOOPS, it`s snowing !!!!
Old Nov 10th 2005, 3:31 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0

BC is WET basically.
Some of BC is wet....the bit where most of the people and jobs are. On the other hand BC also has canada only actual bonafide desert.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 5:15 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Some of BC is wet.
Pick the bones out of this, as an example of different weather stats (all based on annual norms):

Rain [mm] Snow [cm]
Vancouver 1117 57
Kelowna 282 106
Toronto 665 123

Rich.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

If you have yet to even send in your application, house prices today will have little bearing on what they will be 3 years from now when you can actually move over here. Few things on earth seem to rise faster than property prices in Canada, so add at least 20% to what you see today to budget for 3 years from now. Of course if an area becomes popular, the prices may rise more than that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.