Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Unsure - Too many options :(

Wikiposts

Unsure - Too many options :(

Old Jun 3rd 2011, 3:11 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unsure - Too many options :(

Originally Posted by BristolUK
So just under half a million then. Bargain.
It is. Better value than something like this near me in TO

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...dKey=328908035
Old Jun 4th 2011, 1:11 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
It is. Better value than something like this near me in TO

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...dKey=328908035
OTOH there's this that someone else posted yesterday.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

Lilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sas-lou
Just out of curiosity, why did you move to Canada?

I was sold a dream for 6 years and wanted to give it a try. My life is not shit, just challenging and i'm aware i'd have to deal with different challenges in Canada.

Gain Canadian experience, maybe meet someone one day. Save and study nursing so one day i have the opportunity to live elsewhere in the world and be able to take my qualification and experience with me. How will i attain it? Pure stubborn determination.

I don't expect Canada to change me, i'm hoping it will lead to different opportunities and experiences.
Good God. This is a terrifying thread. At first, I was on the side of the original poster. Now I wonder how somebody who has had two children a decade and a half ago can be so rudderless in their life. I am not trying to be mean or rude, I am concerned over your decision making process:

Move to Canada. With no job prospect(s) and no idea where you want to live? Are you serious? Sometimes I worry about the level of nanny state in the UK. It's as if they do everything for people; cradle to grave and leave people completely without common sense.

There is no hand-holding here by the state. There will be no automatic job seekers' allowance, no council house. A nursing degree takes FOUR YEARS and it isn't funded by the NHS because there is a 'shortage'.

Honestly. Your frame of mind scares me. I am a bit worried for the welfare of your kids. I don't mean that in a nasty way... I'm just a bit shocked by the 'fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants' attitude towards life.

:-(

Last edited by Lilipuddlian; Jun 4th 2011 at 1:40 am.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

sas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond repute

^^^ And on that note, i think my time here is over.

Thanks for the replies, some were more helpful than others.

I will bear in mind the advice but ultimately i am going to go with my intuition.

This place isn't what it once was and god help the people who come to this site with a dream hoping for advice, guidance and support. The hypocrisy is outstanding (not from all though )

I was thinking if/when i do settle in Canada, i'll drop you guys a line but i don't need to gloat so you'll never know.

Sarah.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 2:08 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sas-lou
This place isn't what it once was
You're right there.

It's still a great resource but I'm not sure if intolerance levels have gone up or if the more tolerant posters are no longer here to balance them out.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 3:39 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

OTOH there's this that someone else posted yesterday.
Aaah but the one i posted is in an area with better opportunities
Old Jun 4th 2011, 3:52 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

You're right there.

It's still a great resource but I'm not sure if intolerance levels have gone up or if the more tolerant posters are no longer here to balance them out.
I agree.

However, i'm not sure if many of the regulars are just jaded when it comes to people asking for impossible answers such as "where should we live?", or "is Canada for us?".....etc. I'm not sure if these forms of questions were all the rage a few years ago but they do seem to be getting more frequent.

As for sas-lou, i think getting away from this site will do you good in that you can make your own informed decision without the subjectiveness clouding any judgement. Anonymous people on a large forum such as this can help with immigration processes and advice such as where to buy Cheesy crisps, but to offer guidance on how to live your life and/or help make such a critical decision, it's the last place i would personally look. Good luck with whatever you decide but i think you've made your mind up so stick with it, save as much money as you can, and try to enjoy the ride.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 7:01 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by el_richo
However, i'm not sure if many of the regulars are just jaded when it comes to people asking for impossible answers such as "where should we live?", or "is Canada for us?".....etc.
Good point.

I'm not sure if these forms of questions were all the rage a few years ago but they do seem to be getting more frequent.
I wonder if the site is just too big now. A few years ago there were fewer posts and maybe people found their answers more easily with a search. Now a search reveals millions of answers - or it seems like it - and a question is posted rather than spending five years looking.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 7:20 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

You're right there.

I think moving abroad is like getting married, at first everyone's dreamy eyed and full of anticipation of the opportunities and new experiences to come but after a while . . .
Old Jun 4th 2011, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

samanthajohn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,I am Sam, feeling for ya girlfriend! I have just moved to Stoney Creek with my hubby, I have a 19 yr old in Devon living with my parents. I was feeling quite upset untill I read your story!!!! I will admit, I have just started to miss home a little, only because of the TV, lol, an its Sat nite!! I suppose I am lucku=y in a way as my fella has dual notionality, but that doesnt come without its set backs. It doesnt mean I am able to live here as he can, but Im sure you know the immigration/sponsor programmes. I would just like to say, you have to do wot you have to do, only you can decide, and if you dont give it a go, you will never know. The kids are growing up, an my son said, " mum, you do what YOU want to do, I am a man( so he thinks), lol and I dont want you to regret not having a go,at least!" I can see its a great place for the kids/teenagers, much different to the UK. We have been here 6 weeks now, an John will be working we hope my next month, we have a 2 bed apartment in Stoney Creek/Hamilton, its a lovely little Town ( the original Old Town) just off highway 8. I would love to keep in touch, if you decide Canada is for you, because I am determind to stay! Take care, an think about the rest of your life, the kids will do what they want soon enough!!! Thanks for giving me time to type this, it took the emphisis off me feeking sorry for my self!!! Lol
x Sam.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 5:05 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samanthajohn
my fella has dual notionality
I can see why you are in two minds.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 6:02 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I can see why you are in two minds.

That's like running over three kids; two with drums and one with a cymbal.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 5:46 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Under normal circumstances I would agree with the posts about giving your children stability and whatnot, however these are not normal circumstances, the UK economy is in the toilet. The best job market in Canada at the moment is probably Alberta, so that would be my advice, move here.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 5:49 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eilowny
Anyways
Just a pet peeve of mine, but as I keep explaining to Canadians, this is not a word. Nor is: "anyhoo".
Old Jun 7th 2011, 6:04 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Just a pet peeve of mine, but as I keep explaining to Canadians, this is not a word. Nor is: "anyhoo".
It's not addicting either, it's addictive!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.