Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Unsure - Too many options :(

Wikiposts

Unsure - Too many options :(

Old Jun 1st 2011, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

sas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unsure - Too many options :(

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
True but I don't have kids or any commitments and was able to just move here 'for a change' so to speak.

If you already have a work permit then could a 1 month reccie trip or something be do-able for you? That way you don't have to move over lock stock before finding a job/place to live.
I don't have a work permit, i have Canadian residency (along with my children) and in order to meet the criteria of being present in the country for 2 years, i need to be here permanently by Feb 2012.

If it falls by the wayside then thats an awful lot of money that was wasted on medicals/visa/flights etc when in truth i could of just come here for a holiday or 3.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 9:26 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sas-lou
I don't have a work permit, i have Canadian residency (along with my children) and in order to meet the criteria of being present in the country for 2 years, i need to be here permanently by Feb 2012.

If it falls by the wayside then thats an awful lot of money that was wasted on medicals/visa/flights etc when in truth i could of just come here for a holiday or 3.
So, honestly, is this mainly about not wanting to lose your PR?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

sas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
So, honestly, is this mainly about not wanting to lose your PR?
Yes, along with the opportunity of living in another country.

When my marriage broke down (in Canada) i ran away (to the UK) as i didn't know how to cope in that situation. I was devastated and hurt as i didn't see it coming.

The ball is now in my court but i need to work out a strategy to minimise potential stress. And this is why i came to you guys. You have the experience and the wisdom and i was asking for you to share a little.

I know i could stay in the UK, i have thought of that option. I was hoping for other potential options from you lot in favour of Canada. I suppose what you hope for and what you get are 2 very different things.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:08 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, along with the opportunity of living in another country.

When my marriage broke down (in Canada) i ran away (to the UK) as i didn't know how to cope in that situation. I was devastated and hurt as i didn't see it coming.

The ball is now in my court but i need to work out a strategy to minimise potential stress. And this is why i came to you guys. You have the experience and the wisdom and i was asking for you to share a little.

I know i could stay in the UK, i have thought of that option. I was hoping for other potential options from you lot in favour of Canada. I suppose what you hope for and what you get are 2 very different things.
Vancouver is a very nice city that has lots to do, with nice weather, decent enough schools and is by the seaside. The main drawback is house prices are very high. But it's the only place in Canada that I could in good conscience recommend. You might want to take flight out here and check it out.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:09 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes you just have to cut your losses. The money that you have not yet spent on a move back here could also pay for a holiday or 3.

The facts are:-

1 - You are a single mum with teenage kids not a 22 yo back packing around Canada.
2 - You have no source of income here.
3 - Welfare here is no place to be; and unless you're BristolUK having a low wage isn't easy either.

Personally, the only way I would even consider coming back here in your position is if I had a decent enough job lined up first. Decide how much of your savings you are prepared to lose searching for this job. Stick to it, and if your budget runs out first, then let it go and move on with your life. At least this way your risk/hedge is known beforehand and you can plan accordingly.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:18 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Go for it, it's totally awesomely great.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:22 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Go for it, it's totally awesomely great.
You've really warmed to this affirmation meme.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:36 am
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought (I wanted to post this idea this morning but didn't have time) but do you have the option of coming back over alone and, within a set time line, try to establish stability somewhere here, then bring the kids over if they're up for it?

If it doesn't work out it might make the adventure a little easier...
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canbritdenise
Just wanted to come on and give you a big virtual hug. I know thats no help, but just to let you know someones thinking of ya.
My two pennies worth is, stay in the UK if you have family help, no fun bringing teenagers up on your on, then maybe when their off your hands abit, think about coming then...
I think +1 to this comment. If the kids are about to flee the nest, so to speak, give them a couple of years to ensure that they're ok and then make the break. Meantime, consider your options in terms of your careeer... BUT don't do the degree in the UK ... wait until you get to Canada and do it here.

When I read your post I feel that you're conflating so much and putting yourself under this time pressure - which seems daft, really. It makes decision-making almost impossible, certainly very stressful.

By the way, it is expensive in Toronto. Let me get you down from that pink cloud you're on ...

Good luck
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:45 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if this comes across as presumptuous but I'm bored. It seems that having your children so young you missed out on the freedom and adventure that being a teenager and in your early 20s bestows. I'm afraid you did and that's life. Given the relatively young ages of your children I'd say you need to hold off on trying to recapture that for a few years. Why not take a nice boating holiday on the Norfolk Broads instead?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

mmmm
I see where youre coming from!
does it have to be one of the mega cities?
why not look at manitoba,maybe not winnipeg ,,,,winkler,morden,brandon.
all largeish b ut rural and booming ish .
as you have PR ,,,look for work in those areas..
best wishes ...jimmy.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Some woman at Gatwick on Sunday told me that without a degree, you'd be referred to as a Macky/Mc'y (unsure how to spell it) when i asked her to go into more detail she said that without a degree you will work in McDonalds only.
Ignore her. Wherever you go there are people who translate an anecdote into a general rule. Sure, there are jobs you won't get without a specific degree, but then that's the same in every country I've lived in.

The kids here are so darn innocent. i was walking behind a group of young (12-14 yrs) school children in China Town this afternoon and well They didn't have the latest look, label wise. They spoke politely and they didn't seem in a rush to grow up. How sweet.
I'd agree with that, the teenagers I've interacted with here are definitely less awful than the UK. Having said that, there's some crappy areas with some horrible kids too of course.

I am so worried about screwing up my kids lives by moving them here
Well, to be blunt, unless one or both of them is on track for a place at a top tier uni or some such (which it sounds like they aren't) I can't see how it would make much difference aside from social life issues, which will pass in time anyway.

My 14 year old is going off the rails and doesn't want to move to Canada but in 2 years wants to move to Australia with his girlfriend (sigh).
If it helps, you can tell him that my young 'un has found his English accent a major draw for the girls...

The job front is crap (to put it mildly) so if made redundant, lol, i'm screwed.
From everything I know about benefits in the two countries, you're substantially less screwed if you find yourself jobless in the UK than in Canada. In the UK you would most likely get your rent paid for example, I don't think that's the case here although someone may correct me.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:05 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
You've really warmed to this affirmation meme.
I get blasted when I'm a realist so I thought I would just say what people want to hear.... what do you think so far ?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram
I get blasted when I'm a realist so I thought I would just say what people want to hear.... what do you think so far ?
I'm impressed. I might try it myself. If we keep it up eventually "it's totally awesome" will come to mean "it's totally shit"
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:09 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'm impressed. I might try it myself. If we keep it up eventually "it's totally awesome" will come to mean "it's totally shit"
Oh ironically.... I like it. I must admit I stole the "awesomely great" from Steve Jobs, but I think it works.

I have started using at work. Unfortunately they realise I am being ironic/sarcastic as they know me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.