Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Unsure - Too many options :(

Wikiposts

Unsure - Too many options :(

Old Jun 3rd 2011, 3:20 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unsure - Too many options :(

Originally Posted by sas-lou
I've stopped biting to the bait .. Some people just see things in black and white *sigh*

Actually i don't want him to be like a typical 14 year old (although i'd be grateful if he dealt with his hormones in a more constructive manner, lol). He is different (some said weird) but i hope he embraces his individuality.
While i wait for my coffee to come alive, i'll give my 2p.....

You clearly have an itch to scratch and reading between the lines it seems a part of you would like to prove you can do this. Add to this your job uncertainty in the UK, i say go for it as long as you have some savings to back you up for at least 6 months. Without the latter as a minimum, especially with kids, i would not do it.

Your kids are at the difficult yet malleable stage so don't worry too much about them. They should adjust if you're successful and happy i would imagine.

The only downside is if it goes pear shaped, you could set yourself back even further financially and emotionally, and your kids potentially the latter as well. Not sure if you have the support network in Canada or the UK. If your aversion to risk factors that in, then great.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 6:29 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Coming late to the thread, I should also be cautious about being able to live and support a family on 15 to 16 dollars per hour in any of the major cities.

My son recently informed me that Calgary actually has the highest cost of living of any Canadian city right now. Housing is second only to Vancouver in price, but food etc are highest. I don't know her he got that from so cannot quote a source, but I wouldn't be surprised anyway.

Maybe a small to midsize town would be a better option, but that I agree may be harder for teenagers to fit in.

Whatever is said on here, and whatever you decide to do, I wish you well anyway!
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 6:49 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
Maybe a small to midsize town would be a better option, but that I agree may be harder for teenagers to fit in.
We moved here from Montreal's south shore where we were a twenty minute drive or short bus/metro ride the centre of the city.

Our teens are still very happy with the move and none of their friends ever said WTF did you come here?
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 7:25 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered Yorkshire? It has some lovely cheap areas up there with great access to larger cities and work. The fish & chips are much better than the shit you get over here and the weather's been much nicer, if that's important to you.

The kids will also toughen up and become salt of the earth, which we all know ensures happiness and success from the ground up. The likelihood of them wanting to leave is also minimal, reducing the risk of you being lonely in a few years

This house is round the corner from my old house. I'm pretty sure they'll take 10% off the asking price - http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-22824538.html
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 7:49 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
This house is round the corner from my old house. I'm pretty sure they'll take 10% off the asking price - http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-22824538.html
That's a nice looking house.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 7:55 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

This house is round the corner from my old house. I'm pretty sure they'll take 10% off the asking price -
So just under half a million then. Bargain.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 8:28 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It will still be standing when 99% of canadian houses have fallen down or at least had the trigger's broom treatment several times over.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 8:46 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

A swimming pool in Yorkshire how flash is that? The place is a bit too Reggie Perrin for my tastes.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 8:48 am
Purpe80 in another life..

Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back sas-lou, what ever you decide I hope it works out....
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
Coming late to the thread, I should also be cautious about being able to live and support a family on 15 to 16 dollars per hour in any of the major cities.

My son recently informed me that Calgary actually has the highest cost of living of any Canadian city right now. Housing is second only to Vancouver in price, but food etc are highest. I don't know her he got that from so cannot quote a source, but I wouldn't be surprised anyway.

Whatever is said on here, and whatever you decide to do, I wish you well anyway!
That dosn't suprise me but it would be interesting to know the source. Probably to be expected with the economic success, availablility of jobs etc
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Eilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really nice

Not really sure if I can help with this or not, but if you already have a PR card & the kids to, WTG! I'm working on hopefully getting mine, married a Canadian too (september2010) & only just been able to apply now for it.

Anyways, if you are looking for places around the Toronto area, is an hour too long for travel time? Reason I ask is I live with my husband in the Kitchener Waterloo area, usually shortened to KW & it's part of the Tri Cities area of KW, Guelph & Cambridge, all pretty near each other, good places to live & an hour's drive from Toronto, lots of places around here advertise for basements or shared apartments, especially on Kajiji, my husband actually bought a house here for us to live in though in the end.

As for the kids, speaking from experience, my father came out here & got his residency when I was 19, just over the age limit to get it by default to me & my sister, I wish we had got it, but ah well, such is life, but I love it over here.

The pace of life is so different from what I used to, I grew up mostly in the Scottish Borders then moved to Edinburgh for 6 years then Aberdeen for 5 years, here, t's just lovely, he makes a good wage $25 an hour as a cellerman to make beer & we're doing very well on just his wage as I am not allowed to work as no work visa, he has degrees but absolutely nothing to do with what he is currently doing so it is very possible to get into work here & make good wages by yourself.

We do also have car manufactuing places here, Toyota is the main one in the KW area & they make loads of money but work LOADS of hours too.

Anyways, whatever you decide make a list of pros & cons for staying/coming here & same with the UK too, with your kids being as young as they are, they will adapt & probably get along just fine, even if the younger one does throw a few tantrums.

I would have loved to come here when I was younger it's a chance of a lifetime for anyone coming here, good luck!
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 9:37 am
Beep

And here was me thinking you were cheap. Nice to see you have some taste

Originally Posted by Oink
A swimming pool in Yorkshire how flash is that? The place is a bit too Reggie Perrin for my tastes.
I know and there's the River Ouse at the end of the garden so you have 2 swimming options. Plus there's an old school bowling green next door for the more active types.

Originally Posted by Alan2005
That's a nice looking house.
My all time favourite house
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sas-lou
(Apologies if i've submitted this in the wrong place, please feel free to move to its correct location)

Hi Guys.

Seriously i must have some hedonistic tendencies going on at present.

Well some of you will of known my story. Married a canuck, moved to Ottawa, moved back to the UK when marriage broke down, picked myself and kids up, started saving again and present day .. I'm in Toronto ..
Only for the week, i return to the UK on Sunday evening.

For the last year i've been telling myself i can do this. I've done it once so whats a second time, lol. Granted i have no husband this time just me and 2 teenagers and some savings but i'm sitting in this room listening to the trams going by my window, not paying attention to the humidity, trying to make up my mind what i'm going to do when i get back as i need to let the children know one way or another what the next step is.

So .. I decided i am not going back to Ottawa. I do not have any contact with the ex husband and he has shown he's not supportive With the kids on half term in the UK they are staying with family so i could come out to Toronto to experience this city alone and make some enquires as to if i/we could at some point call this home.

Some woman at Gatwick on Sunday told me that without a degree, you'd be referred to as a Macky/Mc'y (unsure how to spell it) when i asked her to go into more detail she said that without a degree you will work in McDonalds only. Great start, utterly deflated and i hadn't even boarded the plane. Yeah, i don't have a degree, just work experience in Retail, Banking and my current role is working in the community by assisting people to gain the skills necessary to get back into employment. To mention, i do have a lot of qualifications but not the holy grail.

So i've been here 2 full days and my observations so far .. Well i went to Randstad with my resume and although i don't speak french nor have a degree, she said i do have many transferrable skills so would be looking at $15-$16hr. I think that is positive news. I only want canadian work experience so would consider anything to start with.

I have a bank a/c set up. Another positive.

And lastly, eveyone has told me that Toronto is expensive. Now maybe it's because i am a cheap bastard but i haven't found that to be the case (yet).

The kids here are so darn innocent. i was walking behind a group of young (12-14 yrs) school children in China Town this afternoon and well They didn't have the latest look, label wise. They spoke politely and they didn't seem in a rush to grow up. How sweet.

This city although is rather large does not faze me in the slightest. I've been walking everywhere. Thank gosh i took the advice and didn't get a hire car.

Now the not so positives ..

The people are quirky, bordering on slightly crazy, not all of them of course. The snobbery is evidently clear which i don't quite understand as the people here are/seem very diverse.

I've been told it is hard to find a place to rent. I put an ad on Kijiji as soon as i got here asking about apt's/basements in mid Sept. No replies yet and within several hours my ad's being bumped to page 15. I keep posting in the hope ...

I am so worried about screwing up my kids lives by moving them here and failing thus returning to the UK. However i know i will regret this if i don't do it. All that time/sweat/money acquiring those visa's in the first place must not of been in vain. Or is this narrow thinking??

When i see the kids on Monday they are going to want to know what Toronto was like and my decision .. I don't have a clue what i'm going to tell them.

oh, and to top it off. I'm staying in a pack packers hostel (told you i'm cheap, lol) and last night a lovely chap from Ireland shared the room and we got talking for 6 hours (as you do). He lived in Vancouver for a year (carpenter by trade) and told me to head over that way as it's a lovely place to live or to consider Calgary. When i was looking at flights to come over here it was either Calgary or Toronto and i picked the latter (obviously, lol).

I now feel that with more options being thrown at me, i'm lost as to which step is the appropriate one to take forward.

Just a snippet of my life in the UK - I'm in a private rented house for which i could get a mortgage and pay the same amount (not that i could get a mortgage). On Friday i was told my job is at risk and 16 of us will have to reapply for the 9 jobs going which will require extra responsibilities. My eldest is finishing his GCSE's next week and applied to go to College (although he'd rather go out and work) but was not successful in the course he wanted so they've decided to put him on another course. My 14 year old is going off the rails and doesn't want to move to Canada but in 2 years wants to move to Australia with his girlfriend (sigh). The job front is crap (to put it mildly) so if made redundant, lol, i'm screwed.

I know ultimately i have to make this decision but i am looking for advice/suggestion etc as maybe i am missing something as i am too focused.

I've gone from living day to day to becoming so focused on the future yet i am aware things may not turn out as planned but maybe for the better.
I'm sitting on the fence here but a decison needs to be made by Feb 2012 the latest as i need the 2 years in canada to meet PR criteria.

Please ask any questions.

Thank you in advance.
Hi Sas-Lou, late to this thread I know but please do NOT base any decision on the posts of certain individuals on here, they have lived in Canada awhile and no doubt know their own part of Canada very well but all you will get off them is negative comments regarding Canada and positive comments for the UK, they are so out of touch with thinhs in the UK it is scary and if they hate Canada so much it defies belief why they are still here although at least in Oink's case he has stated his desire to return to the UK so I can understand him

I for my part have only been here a couple of weeks which doesn't qualify me to make any real statements other than what we have found so far, we came on PR without jobs, we left good jobs in the UK, who in my case have stated that job is open for me if I should return.
We came to Canada with open eyes, believe me it is not the UK which for many reasons is a good thing otherwise why move. I have already found work, I was a qualified UK electrician yet I was prepared and comfortable taking a temporary backward step in working as a 3rd/4th yr apprentice till my Canadian experience is at the stage I can comfortably pass the red seal, I don't anticipate this will be long but we shall see.
We are surviving on $16 an hour along with our savings, it pays the rent and puts food on the table but we did our research and live in a mid size town/city not a major one, the taxes and house prices are much less than say Calgary, Vancouver or Toronto. For you this would be an important thing I would imagine. For a teenage kid living in a smaller town however I don't know, it depends on their makeup, the nightlife is not great compared to the UK although less fights for sure.
We were lucky to have built a small circle of friends over visits the last 2 years and have made many more acquaintances in the short time we have been here through the ones we already had.
If you are coming on your own with your 2 sons you will need some friends that is certain, you already know how things work here so that is an advantage you have, if you want to stay in Ontario you may want to look at Barrie, from people I know who live there they speak highly of the area, there are many Brits, its an hour from Toronto and it has many outdoorsy things to do there.
I suppose the main thing you have to decide is can I really do this again and do you have the savings to survive at first or get back to the UK if you need to. We spent $5000 in the first 10 days of being here however it has slowed now as alot of that was a SUV, some furniture (as our container is very late), and deposits which we will get back I'm assured
As for renting, my wife arranged several viewings and came out early to secure a rental which she managed even with us having dogs. We could have easily stopped in the UK but we knew we would regret not giving it a go, if you can afford it do it!
Best of luck in whatever you decide
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 11:35 am
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

If you were to take a chance on Canada a smaller city with cheaper housing costs might be better. You could move later if you made a go of things and still wanted to.
This is key. Montreal excepted, all big centres here are very expensive to live on, and she'll be living paycheck to paycheck with two kids on $15/h if she ever came to live in Toronto.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

sas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eilowny
Anyways, if you are looking for places around the Toronto area, is an hour too long for travel time? Reason I ask is I live with my husband in the Kitchener Waterloo area, usually shortened to KW & it's part of the Tri Cities area of KW, Guelph & Cambridge, all pretty near each other, good places to live & an hour's drive from Toronto, lots of places around here advertise for basements or shared apartments, especially on Kajiji, my husband actually bought a house here for us to live in though in the end.
Thank you for your insight. Funnily enough the ex mentioned the Tri cities when we were deciding where to live in 2008. I was the one who suggested Ottawa. I've just spent the last 2 hours researching the area and it seems OK. I do drive but if/when i get here permanently, a car will not be at the top of my prioroty list until i'm a little more settled. Although looking at the jobs within the area, i should be able to pick something up.

Good luck with everything

Originally Posted by Alphawolf
We are surviving on $16 an hour along with our savings, it pays the rent and puts food on the table but we did our research and live in a mid size town/city not a major one, the taxes and house prices are much less than say Calgary, Vancouver or Toronto. For you this would be an important thing I would imagine. For a teenage kid living in a smaller town however I don't know, it depends on their makeup, the nightlife is not great compared to the UK although less fights for sure. If you are coming on your own with your 2 sons you will need some friends that is certain, you already know how things work here so that is an advantage you have, if you want to stay in Ontario you may want to look at Barrie, from people I know who live there they speak highly of the area, there are many Brits, its an hour from Toronto and it has many outdoorsy things to do there.
I suppose the main thing you have to decide is can I really do this again and do you have the savings to survive at first or get back to the UK if you need to. We spent $5000 in the first 10 days of being here however it has slowed now as alot of that was a SUV, some furniture (as our container is very late), and deposits which we will get back I'm assured
As for renting, my wife arranged several viewings and came out early to secure a rental which she managed even with us having dogs. We could have easily stopped in the UK but we knew we would regret not giving it a go, if you can afford it do it!
Best of luck in whatever you decide
Thanks for your wisdom

We don't need a nightlife. I am not a party animal and neither are my children, lol, so a small/medium town would work in our favour, i'm sure.
I know i'd need to network pretty quickly and when i don't feel intimidated i can be rather extroverted and pretty much talk to anyone so thats another tick in the box. I've been checking out Barrie and i'm in 2 minds at the moment. Just seems really small.
Oh, the savings are not a problem. If i leave in September i'll have in the region of £10K and i've opened an a/c with TD here and have almost $1K in it.
Saving it is easy, i struggle spending it (not your typical woman, lol).
I've posted some more ads on Kijiji in different areas so we'll see what comes back.

Good luck with your endeavours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.