Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Unsure - Too many options :(

Wikiposts

Unsure - Too many options :(

Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:16 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unsure - Too many options :(

What is it you actually want to move to Canada for?

Or is it just because you've got PR and your life is a bit shit in the UK? (no offence meant)

What are your goals in Canada? How do you think you might attain them?

How do you think that you can change your life by living in Canada in Canada in a way that you can't in the UK?
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

sas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
What is it you actually want to move to Canada for?
Just out of curiosity, why did you move to Canada?

Or is it just because you've got PR and your life is a bit shit in the UK? (no offence meant)
I was sold a dream for 6 years and wanted to give it a try. My life is not shit, just challenging and i'm aware i'd have to deal with different challenges in Canada.

What are your goals in Canada? How do you think you might attain them?
Gain Canadian experience, maybe meet someone one day. Save and study nursing so one day i have the opportunity to live elsewhere in the world and be able to take my qualification and experience with me. How will i attain it? Pure stubborn determination.

How do you think that you can change your life by living in Canada in a way that you can't in the UK?
I don't expect Canada to change me, i'm hoping it will lead to different opportunities and experiences.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 9:59 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Dreams that are exposed to the constraints of reason and the context of time become fantasies.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 10:18 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sas-lou
Just out of curiosity, why did you move to Canada?
Only for a job. As soon as the job's finished, I'll be off. I never have had any notion of actually emigrating here.

Anyway, good luck to you, I mean that seriously. But do think of the upheaval for teenage lads. If it wasn't for the time limit imposed by needing to avoid losing your PR, would you think now would be a good time to move your kids? If the answer is no, then are you putting your wants ahead of theirs...?
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 10:41 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
If it wasn't for the time limit imposed by needing to avoid losing your PR, would you think now would be a good time to move your kids? If the answer is no, then are you putting your wants ahead of theirs...?
Lots of fair points made about this difficult situation.

Over in the MBTTUK forum a recurring recommendation made to people returning, or thinking of returning, to the UK is to get Citizenship before doing so. That way they keep options open for later.

The OP has a chance of gaining that by making a go of it. Presumably this applies to the kids too? If the deadline is missed, the chance of the kids being able to choose Canada or the UK at some future point is lost too?

So maybe it's not just about the OP.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

sas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Lots of fair points made about this difficult situation.

Over in the MBTTUK forum a recurring recommendation made to people returning, or thinking of returning, to the UK is to get Citizenship before doing so. That way they keep options open for later.

The OP has a chance of gaining that by making a go of it. Presumably this applies to the kids too? If the deadline is missed, the chance of the kids being able to choose Canada or the UK at some future point is lost too?

So maybe it's not just about the OP.
Very good point.

Having the choice of which country to reside in does appeal to me. My youngest when he was 12 was researching the internet to find which visa's he needed to be able to get into America as that's where he wanted to reside when older. Now at 14, he's thinking of Australia. like his mother he's willing to take a risk rather than just dream.

I listen to my family talk about going to Spain, America but thats all it is, talk. Granted its a risk, but isn't crossing the road in the morning. I know it's not in the same context but looking at the bigger picture

The older kid, well he's introverted and has told me he'll never leave home. Such a mummy's boys but he's a good kid ultimately.

I'd never do anything to intentionally harm my children. Not many people get the opportunity to live in other countries. I want to give them opportunities and when they are older if they decide they want to return to the UK, i'll respect their decision.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

canbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to behold

Everyone seems to have forgotten that the op has lived here before, and her children, so they must have some idea about what living in Canada is like. they both sound like they are open to new experiences, and as you have pointed out, we all at some point made the decision to move here, so why not give it ago, UK will always be there if it fails and at least you can say you tried it on your own. I'm sure some nice helpful people on here will put you up.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 11:23 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't mean to be harsh or mean but shouldn't 12 and 14 year olds be thinking about their mates, Playstations, sports and maybe what school courses to be taking rather than about buggering off to all corners of the world?
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

lol....re small town manitoba,
i dont think ive seen a horse or even a cow needing milking on main st. somerset.( there are only around 500 of us here) Brandon is Manitoba s second city,, and i know its not in the ontario or BC.class but they are still worthy of a look! imo..
jimmy.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 12:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesmc
Brandon is Manitoba s second city
And the world centre for the PMU industry.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

dbd33: if that's all you found when you researched Brandon (and I am sure you did, smart as you are) ...if must have years you did so.

but then.. I am sure Brandon can do without snobbish brits... they take the nice ones though :P
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
And the world centre for the PMU industry.
Grow up,,,,
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 1:15 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Grow up,,,,
Suddenly it isn't?
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I really don't mean to be harsh or mean but shouldn't 12 and 14 year olds be thinking about their mates, Playstations, sports and maybe what school courses to be taking rather than about buggering off to all corners of the world?

At 14 i was always thinking about where i wanted to travel, some kids are just inclined to be adventurers in reality not via a playstation.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
At 14 i was always thinking about where i wanted to travel, some kids are just inclined to be adventurers in reality not via a playstation.
I've stopped biting to the bait .. Some people just see things in black and white *sigh*

Actually i don't want him to be like a typical 14 year old (although i'd be grateful if he dealt with his hormones in a more constructive manner, lol). He is different (some said weird) but i hope he embraces his individuality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.