Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Unsure - Too many options :(

Wikiposts

Unsure - Too many options :(

Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

sas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unsure - Too many options :(

Thanks for the input. To reply to a few.

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Sometimes you just have to cut your losses.

Personally, the only way I would even consider coming back here in your position is if I had a decent enough job lined up first. Decide how much of your savings you are prepared to lose searching for this job. Stick to it, and if your budget runs out first, then let it go and move on with your life. At least this way your risk/hedge is known beforehand and you can plan accordingly.
Maybe cutting my losses is an option. It would surely reduce the stress.

Wise thinking.

Originally Posted by Greenhill
Just a thought (I wanted to post this idea this morning but didn't have time) but do you have the option of coming back over alone and, within a set time line, try to establish stability somewhere here, then bring the kids over if they're up for it?

If it doesn't work out it might make the adventure a little easier...
The plan this week was for my 16 year old to stay at home with the cat (he's 16 going on 40, too sensible, bless him) and for my mother to have the 14 yr old but kiddo has other ideas the day before i left so my brother is staying at my house watching them both, much to my elder son's annoyance. 1 week is/was OK, any longer then unfortunately, not an option.

Originally Posted by London Mike
I think +1 to this comment. If the kids are about to flee the nest, so to speak, give them a couple of years to ensure that they're ok and then make the break. Meantime, consider your options in terms of your careeer... BUT don't do the degree in the UK ... wait until you get to Canada and do it here.

When I read your post I feel that you're conflating so much and putting yourself under this time pressure - which seems daft, really. It makes decision-making almost impossible, certainly very stressful.

By the way, it is expensive in Toronto. Let me get you down from that pink cloud you're on ...

Good luck
Can someone in their 30's get a 2 year work visa? I'm thinking this may be an option at a future date.

Yes. The fact i have to do this by next Feb is putting a lot of pressure on me and thats why for the last year i have saved up again every penny i can.

Originally Posted by Oink
Sorry if this comes across as presumptuous but I'm bored. It seems that having your children so young you missed out on the freedom and adventure that being a teenager and in your early 20s bestows. I'm afraid you did and that's life. Given the relatively young ages of your children I'd say you need to hold off on trying to recapture that for a few years. Why not take a nice boating holiday on the Norfolk Broads instead?
Are you seriously taking the piss here? Or is being facetious one of your many talents? You don't know me other than god knows how many posts i've made so how would you know what i've missed out on by having children so young? I don't need to recapture anything darling, i'm just trying to attempt something that most people only talk about.

Next time your bored may i suggest ......

Originally Posted by jamesmc
mmmm
I see where youre coming from!
does it have to be one of the mega cities?
why not look at manitoba,maybe not winnipeg ,,,,winkler,morden,brandon.
all largeish b ut rural and booming ish .
as you have PR ,,,look for work in those areas..
best wishes ...jimmy.
Of course it doesn't need to be a mega city, like i said, i am open to suggestion and am happy to go off and do some research. I'll check out the places you've mentioned. Thank you.

Originally Posted by dgagitw
From everything I know about benefits in the two countries, you're substantially less screwed if you find yourself jobless in the UK than in Canada. In the UK you would most likely get your rent paid for example, I don't think that's the case here although someone may correct me.
I am aware worse case scenario, i'm better in the UK. I wouldn't be able to get any help financially in Canada other than from the ex-husband who at present has his own issues to deal with and doesn't speak to me due to excess paranoia. However we are talking of worse case here and it may not come to that. If it got to the point where my savings were dwindling dangerously low then i would have to look at coming back to the UK. Or if i take my ex husbands advice, i could work at Loblaws and find myself a rich boyfriend (You'd think he knew me better than that unless he was just projecting, lol)
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:47 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I'd suggest Moncton but I think you've been through enough.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

sas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
I'd suggest Moncton but I think you've been through enough.
I doubt my own strength sometimes .. I'm made of tougher stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:06 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sas-lou
I doubt my own strength sometimes .. I'm made of tougher stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion.
It's lovely to see you back here sweetheart, I hope things work out for you and the kids ....... xxx
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

I think she should move as I said before and as Jimbo said to a mid sized town that will be cheaper to live in, Work should not be a problem as mutch as in the bigger cities. The effect on her 2 kids should not be so drastic and probably have a better chance of succes here than in the UK. Lets face it they dont sound as if they are going to be doctors or lawyers, so they should fit in with the simple rural folk of Canada.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

I've just been reading up on the IEC initiative to come to Canada on a working holiday. The UK is participating in the programme but one site says the age range is upto 35 years old and another 30. Where is the consistancy?

Originally Posted by Gremmie
I think she should move as I said before and as Jimbo said to a mid sized town that will be cheaper to live in, Work should not be a problem as mutch as in the bigger cities. The effect on her 2 kids should not be so drastic and probably have a better chance of succes here than in the UK. Lets face it they dont sound as if they are going to be doctors or lawyers, so they should fit in with the simple rural folk of Canada.
My eldest is going to be a blue collar worker, he's not academically inclined for the moment at least, who knows in the future. My younger kid once he sorts his rebellious nature out will be destined for great things as he is too bloody smart for a 14 year old. Too intelligent sometimes and would make a great additon to a debating team, lol.

You say mid sized town? Can you give me a figure as to what's considered mid sized? (for research purposes).

Thank you.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

I've just been reading up on the IEC initiative to come to Canada on a working holiday. The UK is participating in the programme but one site says the age range is upto 35 years old and another 30. Where is the consistancy?

My eldest is going to be a blue collar worker, he's not academically inclined for the moment at least, who knows in the future. My younger kid once he sorts his rebellious nature out will be destined for great things as he is too bloody smart for a 14 year old. Too intelligent sometimes and would make a great additon to a debating team, lol.

You say mid sized town? Can you give me a figure as to what's considered mid sized? (for research purposes).

Thank you.
Mid sized in MB would be Brandon,Selkirk,Portage la Prairie,or any where within say 30 miles of Winnipeg so the commute would not be to far if you try for employment there.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 2:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Mid sized in MB would be Brandon,Selkirk,Portage la Prairie,or any where within say 30 miles of Winnipeg so the commute would not be to far if you try for employment there.
That someone should attempt to move two teenagers from the UK to such a place as Brandon MB is, I think, the most plainly stupid suggestion I've yet seen on this board.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 2:36 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Sometimes you just have to cut your losses. The money that you have not yet spent on a move back here could also pay for a holiday or 3.

The facts are:-

1 - You are a single mum with teenage kids not a 22 yo back packing around Canada.
2 - You have no source of income here.
3 - Welfare here is no place to be; and unless you're BristolUK having a low wage isn't easy either.

Personally, the only way I would even consider coming back here in your position is if I had a decent enough job lined up first. Decide how much of your savings you are prepared to lose searching for this job. Stick to it, and if your budget runs out first, then let it go and move on with your life. At least this way your risk/hedge is known beforehand and you can plan accordingly.
I would agree with this totally.

I think you are very brave to attempt this move on your own with 2 kids and no job or home lined up.
I have been a single mother myself and I considered myself very independant, but I don't think I could brave a move abroad.

If you moved here, spent all your savings, and didn't find a job, how would you return?
Do you have a good network in England with family and friends? a house, a job?
Just wondering because if you have then you may find it lonely coming here on your own.

I wish you luck in whatever you decide, I can totally understand it must be a very tough choice!
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 3:52 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

It's 30 for brits and 35 for everyone else. But a WHV? seriously?
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
That someone should attempt to move two teenagers from the UK to such a place as Brandon MB is, I think, the most plainly stupid suggestion I've yet seen on this board.
Why Oh wise all knowing one ?????
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 4:59 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Why Oh wise all knowing one ?????
What are two fashion aware non-skaters who've never seen a pregnant mare, still less milked one, going to find in common with the youth of small town Manitoba? The British kids probably haven't even tried meth, they'll be mocked for the good condition of their teeth and will be begging for the chance to walk and swim home.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

What are two fashion aware non-skaters who've never seen a pregnant mare, still less milked one, going to find in common with the youth of small town Manitoba? The British kids probably haven't even tried meth, they'll be mocked for the good condition of their teeth and will be begging for the chance to walk and swim home.
Well they could stop off at your place for a few weeks to learn all of the above... idiot post from you as usual
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 6:51 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

small town Manitoba
What is it with the letter "M"?
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:05 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I completely agree with this, and apart from the milking stuff, that it applies to almost ever small town in Canada. To move British teenagers on a low income, where cultural adjustment and low career perspectives will subject them to a miserable experience seems half baked and very self-absorbed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.