Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Unsure - Too many options :(

Wikiposts

Unsure - Too many options :(

Old Jun 1st 2011, 6:10 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unsure - Too many options :(

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Boy am I glad I didn't write that... Thought it tho Got a royal roasting last year when her life went "Tits" up for telling her 'To grow a pair"

I wasn't trying to be rude or insensitive, I just think sometimes a differing opinon is useful.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I wasn't trying to be rude or insensitive, I just think sometimes a differing opinon is useful.
Nor I, but her she does seem to live a life on the ragged edge, and unable to make a discission in whitch direction to go. She did pretty much the same thing last year.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 6:25 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Nor I, but her she does seem to live a life on the ragged edge, and unable to make a discission in whitch direction to go.
Which is a cool way to live if you don't have kids or any commitments.

Probably not the best idea for a mother of two though.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Which is a cool way to live if you don't have kids or any commitments.

Probably not the best idea for a mother of two though.
Very true..
Old Jun 1st 2011, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Woah i see the "Im perfect" gang have arrived.

Give the women a break for christ sake, shes unsure of whats best for her and her family! how do you know the kids dont want to come she never mentioned that!

Shes here to get advice not be roasted on what a bad mother she is. This whole forum is for expats and people thinking of taking the leap over isnt it?

It takes a lot of guts, courage and sheer grit and determination to come and live in a completely different country especially as a single parent. Shes not flip flopping or 'living on the raged edge' seems to me that shes thinking about all her options and not making quick start decisions, hence why she is still considering it from last year!

Yet he who is without sin throw the first stone!
Old Jun 1st 2011, 6:38 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
Woah i see the "Im perfect" gang have arrived.

Give the women a break for christ sake, shes unsure of whats best for her and her family! how do you know the kids dont want to come she never mentioned that!

Shes here to get advice not be roasted on what a bad mother she is. This whole forum is for expats and people thinking of taking the leap over isnt it?

It takes a lot of guts, courage and sheer grit and determination to come and live in a completely different country especially as a single parent. Shes not flip flopping or 'living on the raged edge' seems to me that shes thinking about all her options and not making quick start decisions, hence why she is still considering it from last year!

Yet he who is without sin throw the first stone!
I certainly wasn't lambasting her, she wanted some advice, mine was to stay in the UK and provide some stability for her children.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

sas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond repute

Wow .. I wasn't expecting that at all. Thanks for dissecting my character. You don't need to remind me of my past, i'm well aware.

Oink .. You speak of stability yet if i were to purchase a house at 5x my income i still couldn't afford one. My job is at risk of redundancy and the unemployment rate is high in the city i live in. My eldest kid didn't get his college course he wanted to attend so now as to make do even though he'd like to go and work but IF he does find work at min wage, he won't get full time hours (i know as it's my job) and my other kid has been on self destruct since we came back from Ottawa in 2009 (don't lecture me, i know). Yeah, so as you can see, this stability you speak of, is a pile of shite. Do you not think i sat down and tried to work out the pro's and con's previously?

Thanks to those who gave constructive advice, i do appreciate it and will mull over your thoughts.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by sas-lou
Wow .. I wasn't expecting that at all. Thanks for dissecting my character. You don't need to remind me of my past, i'm well aware.

Oink .. You speak of stability yet if i were to purchase a house at 5x my income i still couldn't afford one. My job is at risk of redundancy and the unemployment rate is high in the city i live in. My eldest kid didn't get his college course he wanted to attend so now as to make do even though he'd like to go and work but IF he does find work at min wage, he won't get full time hours (i know as it's my job) and my other kid has been on self destruct since we came back from Ottawa in 2009 (don't lecture me, i know). Yeah, so as you can see, this stability you speak of, is a pile of shite. Do you not think i sat down and tried to work out the pro's and con's previously?

Thanks to those who gave constructive advice, i do appreciate it and will mull over your thoughts.

It was just an opinion it wasn't a judgment and it was an opinion I meant constructively.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 7:37 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to those who gave constructive advice, i do appreciate it and will mull
over your thoughts.
You know it's not often I agree with Oink, however on this occasion I am inclined to do so. The Canadian "welfare" system is as much unlike that in the UK as it can possibly be. Unless you can return with a goodly chunk of change in your wallet it will, IMO, be very difficult for you. You will receive virtually no assistance from the Canadian/Ontario governments. There is no Job Seekers Allowance here, limited Housing Allowance, etc, etc, etc. I think the instability here will surpass that you're experiencing in the UK.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 7:49 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, so as you can see, this stability you speak of, is a pile of shite.
What makes you think that you would find stability here though?

I'm not sniping at you, just asking. Most people would usually say that the UK has a lot more opportunities than Canada does and the Canadian labour market is notoriously complex for newcomers, even those with experience, qualifications and full working rights.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

sas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
What makes you think that you would find stability here though?
I don't necessarily know that i willfind it in Canada but just like all those who went before me, you took a risk trying to find it also. For some it worked out well and for other, not so well.

So am i really any different for wanting to try?

If nothing else, least i have sheer determination as most poeple would of run for the door if in my shoes. I am not a quitter.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 7:59 am
Sidecar Falcon

I don't necessarily know that i willfind it in Canada but just like all those who went before me, you took a risk trying to find it also. For some it worked out well and for other, not so well.

So am i really any different for wanting to try?

If nothing else, least i have sheer determination as most poeple would of run for the door if in my shoes. I am not a quitter.
True but I don't have kids or any commitments and was able to just move here 'for a change' so to speak.

If you already have a work permit then could a 1 month reccie trip or something be do-able for you? That way you don't have to move over lock stock before finding a job/place to live.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=DigitalGhost;9403440]True but I don't have kids or any commitments and was able to just move here 'for a change' so to speak.
QUOTE]

Having kids doesnt tie you to a kitchen sink, barefoot ya know LOL they come with and adapt!
Old Jun 1st 2011, 8:15 am

Seriously i must have some hedonistic tendencies going on at present.

Please ask any questions.

Thank you in advance.

Maybe we be more help if you gave us some context.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 8:38 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

If the choice is instability in the UK or here, I'd pick the UK.

If you were to take a chance on Canada a smaller city with cheaper housing costs might be better. You could move later if you made a go of things and still wanted to.

I'm not surprised at no response from kijiji. I advertise on there when I have a vacancy and I get about 20 enquiries within 3 or 4 days of advertising. A vacancy is filled in a week and I still get enquiries. In my experience there's really no need for a landlord to go looking for tenants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.