Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Unpaid hire car charges

Unpaid hire car charges

Old Nov 16th 2010, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Mickey690 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Unpaid hire car charges

I was in Calgary in Feb on a research trip and rented a car from Budget. I paid via the UK and was given a voucher. This was then used to rent the car and I paid an additional $90 for fuel and something on the return of the car.

Now in May my credit card got charged again by Budget for $190.53 with no explanation. I contacted Budget UK who in turn got in touch with the Calgary office. No-one could explain or find out what the charge was for. So my Credit Card company refunded the amount.

I got a letter sent to my old address (which is currently being re-directed) from Budget saying that my credit card company has refused to pay and they want payment. Still no explanation of the amount.

Now my question is if I just leave it and don't pay could this come back to bite me when we finally get our PR and land? If anything comes of it I could plead ignorance as the letter was sent to my old address and I never received it! Also who's to say the letter actually got to delivered in the first place!
Old Nov 16th 2010, 12:17 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unpaid hire car charges

You know, I had an issue with Budget in Calgary charging me double as well. I picked a car up from Budget in Calgary and dropped it off in Vancouver. Both locations charged me for the full amount. I contacted Budget customer service, complained, they told me they had a 10 day turnaround and I informed them that that was nice but I don't and expected an answer within 2 days. I eventually got an apology, however I'd already got the Credit Card to reverse the charge and eventually they went away.

Just call Budget, explain the situation, and tell them to check their records and get it sorted.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

Had same prob with another rental car agency. Paid them cash (had reciept) and then about 3 months later a charge on visa. So called them...they had no idea what charge was for, meanwhile I am writing down time and names and dates of all calls.
I then called visa and explained, they were great, and all charges were reversed, and never heard nowt from car agency.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

It's becoming a common problem in many countries. Google Elliott.org rental cars for articles on this and other rental car issues to be aware of. Christopher Elliott is a travel columnist for MSNBC and The Washington Post, and National Geographic's travel ombudsman.