Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

University - a teenager who would like some advise!

University - a teenager who would like some advise!

Old Oct 19th 2008, 11:14 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: University - a teenager who would like some advise!

Originally Posted by dingbat
Edited as per.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 11:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Many people do just that, a medical or law degree comes to mind.
Some people do that but generally I think higher cost degrees are for the children of the rich. We don't get the best doctors society could provide, we get the doctors who showed a combination of talent and funding.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 11:18 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Some people do that but generally I think higher cost degrees are for the children of the rich. We don't get the best doctors society could provide, we get the doctors who showed a combination of talent and funding.
I agree but I do know there are exceptions to the rule.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 12:06 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cup of tea
Hey

I'm 19 years of age an I have just emmigrated to Canada about 2 weeks ago. Personally, I found this move really difficult as I was all set to go to university in England until 3 weeks before my starting date.... I cancelled everything to go here.
Are you a Canadian permanent resident?
Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hey

I'm 19 years of age an I have just emmigrated to Canada about 2 weeks ago. Personally, I found this move really difficult as I was all set to go to university in England until 3 weeks before my starting date.... I cancelled everything to go here.

I was planning on going to university next year here in Canada instead, but didn't realise that the government here are eligible with not giving you a student loan over here, unlike in England where everybody gets a basic loan? I found this out yesterday when I visited the U of BC. I was wondering how young Canadians get the money to go to uni? Has anybody gone through with the Candian system? I also noticed that 95 % of first years are 18 and slightly immature compared to an 18 year old in Canada? This has also worried me as I like to think I'm fairly mature for a 19 year old (it might just be all in my head but hey, one can hope) and so I've been wondering whether I would find it difficult meeting people on the same level as me.

These are just my observations, but its got me thinking a lot about whether I should re-apply in England to do my degree over there - something which I'm reluctant to do as it would just be plain confusing going back there (for me and my friends) and tough to make the move back here after my degree. Not only that, I would just get seriously mixed up about where I'm actually gonna be living and what I'm actually doing!

It would be great if some of you guys could get back to me!
Whereabouts in Canada are you? Presumably BC?

What were you thinking of doing in the year before Canadian university?

What do your parents think about this?

Perhaps I'm cynical but I smell a troll perhaps? Anything to do with the "train spotter" from Sidney?

Last edited by fuschiagirl; Oct 20th 2008 at 1:14 am.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Not wishing to sound too pedantic, but my advice would be to learn the difference between advice and advise- you ask for ADVICE, but you ADVISE someone.
Seriously though, I sympathise with the costs of the thing, but as someone already said- did you research this before you emigrated? You will have to work to pay your way through, and get a loan on top of that. Mind you most students in the UK have loans that they have to pay back, and end up £30k in debt. That is a lot of money to pay back for the next ten years after graduation. Do you have savings or a benevolent grandparent????
Research your options, and decide if you want to go to Uni straight away, work for a bit to build up funds, or go into the workplace and take a course later that is work-related or sponsored by a firm.
Hope that helps.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 4:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I paid for my kids tuition and books. They worked for rent and food. I think this is more typical of the children of immigrants than any sort of loan arrangement. It seems to me that "opportunity for our children" is often cited as a reason for emigrating and that, if one cannot provide the opportunity to be educated without getting into debt, emigration has failed on that score.

I think the OP should go home and finish school.
Your kids and any kid who has this is a lucky kid.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 4:56 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hwp
waiting tables four nights a week. This is very difficult in some ways but very possible and 'puts hair on your chest.' And you'll never make better money than waiting tables (in the right establishment) which might make you question the whole notion of going to uni to gain better prospects.
According to their website, Hooters doesn't have any locations in B.C. And I'm not sure you want to admit a hairy chest HWP
Old Oct 20th 2008, 5:29 am
Just Joined

cup of tea is an unknown quantity at this point

Smell a troll from Sydney...? I'm sorry I dont know what you're on about. So yep, have to admit did not properly research the difference in student loans between the UK and Canada properly - I was just pretty worried that Canadian employers wouldn't recognize a British degree.

Thanks for the adviCe everybody - I was thinking of working in another ski resort this year (Whistler) as I worked in Banff last season. Was planning on travelling after university so yes, I will travel, but not just yet.

Am seriously considering going to a UK university next year - I was also unsure with the degree I was planning on doing this year at Manchester so that was part of the reason why I emmigrated here with my family.
My parents are offering to pay tuition fees here or in the UK, and I pay for rent/living fees so we'll see how it goes next year!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck!
Old Nov 7th 2008, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

Am seriously considering going to a UK university next year - I was also unsure with the degree I was planning on doing this year at Manchester so that was part of the reason why I emmigrated here with my family.
My parents are offering to pay tuition fees here or in the UK, and I pay for rent/living fees so we'll see how it goes next year

Hi , C of T

Sounds like a dilema both my sons went through and both have kind of reached the same decision as you have, one is now doing his masters in the Uk and the other is settling in rather nicely into his first year of a degree in journalism
the younger one was a little luckier in that he graduated from high school here so with that and adding a masters to his initial degree after three years should be okay to pursue a career here in Canada if thats his choice at the end of the day
All the very best in whatever decision you come to
EB
Old Nov 7th 2008, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Smell a troll from Sydney...? I'm sorry I dont know what you're on about. So yep, have to admit did not properly research the difference in student loans between the UK and Canada properly - I was just pretty worried that Canadian employers wouldn't recognize a British degree.

Thanks for the adviCe everybody - I was thinking of working in another ski resort this year (Whistler) as I worked in Banff last season. Was planning on travelling after university so yes, I will travel, but not just yet.

My parents are offering to pay tuition fees here or in the UK, and I pay for rent/living fees so we'll see how it goes next year!
Hindsight is wonderful eh? But when the rest of your family is emigrating and the timescale pulls you along it's not always easy to find the time to research everything in both countries.

My elder son has the exact same dilemma as you... but having been around to visit the various universities and looked into the courses, teaching staff, options etc. has realised that it is supremely advantageous to do the first degree in the UK. (Depends on your subject etc...)

In effect you are now taking a gap year so enjoy it... and then get your first degree in the UK where you will have far greater financial support and where tuition fees are far more reasonable. Canadian employers will all recognise a UK degree... and you can always do a postgrad in Canada. Best of luck.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:32 am
Just Joined

cup of tea is an unknown quantity at this point

wow thought i was the only one that was stuck in that situation, lol

Newshoney, how is your son paying back the loans after he finishes? is it in 6 month installments or something when he comes to live here with you guys?

just wondered if you knew how that worked?

Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

I was at the end of my first year university in the UK when my family moved to Canada. I found it very disruptive and confusing. I went on to finish my degree over there, but found myself pulled in different directions.

Knowing what I know now, I would have quit there and applied to Uni in Canada, even if it took me some time to get accredited..
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

wow thought i was the only one that was stuck in that situation, lol

Newshoney, how is your son paying back the loans after he finishes? is it in 6 month installments or something when he comes to live here with you guys?

just wondered if you knew how that worked?

That's not featured as a worry for us (yet). And who knows if he will come and settle in Canada afterwards... he may be ready to fly the nest altogether.