Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

University of Ottawa or Carleton

University of Ottawa or Carleton

Old Mar 21st 2008, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

ottawaharvey is a jewel in the roughottawaharvey is a jewel in the roughottawaharvey is a jewel in the roughottawaharvey is a jewel in the roughottawaharvey is a jewel in the rough
Default University of Ottawa or Carleton

My daughter has been offered places at both University of Ottawa and Carleton. The dilemma she has is that last year we purchased a property for her to live in 5 minutes away from University of Ottawa. We did cycle from the property to Carleton and she would be very happy to cycle that distance every day but appreciates that it wouldn't be practical for the months that have snow on the ground.
She is also aware that the universities do share some facilities so she could end up going to Ottawa but having classes at Carleton. Can anyone please shed any light on the difficulties of travelling between the two.
She does have a full UK driving licence but has only held it for a year so as far as I can tell from information gained on this forum she wouldn't be able to swap her licence but would have to take the test, would this be difficult for her to arrange?
Any comments will be really appreciated.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: University of Ottawa or Carleton

Originally Posted by ottawaharvey
She does have a full UK driving licence but has only held it for a year so as far as I can tell from information gained on this forum she wouldn't be able to swap her licence but would have to take the test, would this be difficult for her to arrange?
I don't know why there's confusion about this. For Ontario, you can swap with less than 2yrs experience. I did it. I'd only had my GB license for 9mths. You get given a G2 license (which is normal apart from conditions: no blood alcohol allowed, and no more passengers allowed in car than there are working seatbelts). She needs to take a G2 exit test (I didn't do it, was in another province by then) by the 2nd anniversary of her GB test date. It's not a big deal I'm sure.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 5:20 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter has been offered places at both University of Ottawa and Carleton. The dilemma she has is that last year we purchased a property for her to live in 5 minutes away from University of Ottawa. We did cycle from the property to Carleton and she would be very happy to cycle that distance every day but appreciates that it wouldn't be practical for the months that have snow on the ground.
She is also aware that the universities do share some facilities so she could end up going to Ottawa but having classes at Carleton. Can anyone please shed any light on the difficulties of travelling between the two.
Any comments will be really appreciated.
In general, U Ottawa has a better reputation (academically) than Carleton. It's also better situated. What is your daughter going to study?
Old Mar 21st 2008, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

ottawaharvey is a jewel in the roughottawaharvey is a jewel in the roughottawaharvey is a jewel in the roughottawaharvey is a jewel in the roughottawaharvey is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I don't know why there's confusion about this. For Ontario, you can swap with less than 2yrs experience. I did it. I'd only had my GB license for 9mths. You get given a G2 license (which is normal apart from conditions: no blood alcohol allowed, and no more passengers allowed in car than there are working seatbelts). She needs to take a G2 exit test (I didn't do it, was in another province by then) by the 2nd anniversary of her GB test date. It's not a big deal I'm sure.
Thanks Biiiink you have just made her day

We are getting conflicting views on whether Ottawa is better than Carleton

She has been offered Bachelors of Science Honors at Carleton and Ottawa but is waiting to hear if she has a place on the Bio Medical programme at Ottawa. Her goal at the moment is undergraduate Science and then Graduate Law as she is hoping to be a Patent Law Officer.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 6:12 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Biiiink you have just made her day

We are getting conflicting views on whether Ottawa is better than Carleton

She has been offered Bachelors of Science Honors at Carleton and Ottawa but is waiting to hear if she has a place on the Bio Medical programme at Ottawa. Her goal at the moment is undergraduate Science and then Graduate Law as she is hoping to be a Patent Law Officer.
The Ottawa Biomedical program is very competitive, best of luck to her. For the BSc., I'd recommend Ottawa over Carleton.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 7:27 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The Ottawa Biomedical program is very competitive, best of luck to her. For the BSc., I'd recommend Ottawa over Carleton.
Am I allowed to make comments about people starting out studying science then converting to law?
Old Mar 21st 2008, 7:30 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
Am I allowed to make comments about people starting out studying science then converting to law?
Yes please.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 7:32 pm
Born again atheist

Feel free. Not everyone who starts out studying science is any good at it.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Yes please.
It's just WRONG. Science is beautiful, inspiring and endlessly challenging. It makes you learn how to use your mind, how to really thing about things and gives you the ability to detect all the spurious bullshit in this world.

Study law and you'll be dead on the inside. I find it endlessly depressing that someone's ambition is to be a "patent law officer".

Still, whatever floats your boat.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 7:42 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I find it endlessly depressing that someone's ambition is to be a "patent law officer".
Quite, though I guess someone has to do it. If you are going to specialize in scientific inventions I suppose a knowledge of scientific methodology is useful.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Quite, though I guess someone has to do it. If you are going to specialize in scientific inventions I suppose a knowledge of scientific methodology is useful.
I know a few people that have done this, but mainly because they failed as scientists. Not that I'm counting myself as a success, mind.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 8:06 pm
Binned by Muderators

Unfortunately, I must dash now. In contrast to the tedious world of patent law, I've an exciting afternoon lined up visiting the IRS website and filling in tax forms.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

It's just WRONG. Science is beautiful, inspiring and endlessly challenging. It makes you learn how to use your mind, how to really thing about things and gives you the ability to detect all the spurious bullshit in this world.

Study law and you'll be dead on the inside. I find it endlessly depressing that someone's ambition is to be a "patent law officer".

Still, whatever floats your boat.
I found my science degree endlessly depressing and consequently failed miserably to get a half-decent grade....by contrast, the law I studied since has been fascinating and has made me a more logical, inventive person when problem solving.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 8:14 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by G586
I found my science degree endlessly depressing and consequently failed miserably to get a half-decent grade....by contrast, the law I studied since has been fascinating and has made me a more logical, inventive person when problem solving.
I have a niece who studied science at Cambridge. She is now a manager for Marks & Spencer's. We are not close.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 11:39 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter has been offered places at both University of Ottawa and Carleton.
Ottawa is part of the top Canadian group of universities (Group of 13), Carleton is not: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_o...niversities%29

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.