Union Hall

Old Oct 7th 2011, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

lindabey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Union Hall

Can anyone tell me the answer to this question please. When I come
to work in Canada the company who will be employing me is with the Union.
I am a Crane driver and I have heard that if there is no work that you have to sit in the Union hall and probably not get paid until you are called to work
again.
If anyone has any experience in this situation I would be pleased if you can
give me any information.
Thank you
Old Oct 7th 2011, 8:47 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Union Hall

I, for one, have no idea what you're talking about.

Perhaps it's just me.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 9:17 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

The labour unions (Union Halls) are the employers of tradesmen.

Imagine that Client A wants a refinery built...

Client A contracts with Contractor B to build the refinery.

Contractor B does not employ crane drivers directly. Contractor B is signed up with a number of Trades Unions who will supply labour when 'called', under pre-agreed terms and conditions.

Contractor B puts a call in to Union C (call in to the Hall) for XX number of crane drivers.

Client A pays Contractor B to build the refinery.

Contractor B pays Union C for supply of crane drivers.

Union C pays crane driver.

If there is no work, I suspect Union C will pay crane driver a minimal token amount until there is another 'call' from a Contractor.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 9:37 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Really?
Old Oct 7th 2011, 9:42 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Really?
Some contractors employ some tradesmen directly of course. But Unions are employers, yes. Basically they act as labour-supply contractors.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 9:46 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

It is the same with stevedores who work in the freight terminals. The owners contract with the union and the union allocates the work to its members.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

in the woods will become famous soon enough

the union takes your dues. and gives you a call if there is any work if they like you if not they just take your dues.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 1:15 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by in the woods
the union takes your dues. and gives you a call if there is any work if they like you if not they just take your dues.
Bugger me. It's all a bit "On The Waterfront" innit? I had no idea.

Which union? Which locals?
Old Oct 8th 2011, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

lindabey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty

Imagine that Client A wants a refinery built...

Client A contracts with Contractor B to build the refinery.

Contractor B does not employ crane drivers directly. Contractor B is signed up with a number of Trades Unions who will supply labour when 'called', under pre-agreed terms and conditions.

Contractor B puts a call in to Union C (call in to the Hall) for XX number of crane drivers.

Client A pays Contractor B to build the refinery.

Contractor B pays Union C for supply of crane drivers.

Union C pays crane driver.

If there is no work, I suspect Union C will pay crane driver a minimal token amount until there is another 'call' from a Contractor.

Many thanks for the replies . Things seem to be done quite differently in Canada to here in the U.K so any information and advice is a great help