Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Unemployed, got PR, should I pack up and go?

Unemployed, got PR, should I pack up and go?

Old Nov 12th 2012, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

listener has a spectacular aura aboutlistener has a spectacular aura aboutlistener has a spectacular aura about
Default Unemployed, got PR, should I pack up and go?

Hi guys,

Looking for some genuine advice please. My situation is that a few years ago I went on holiday to Toronto and loved it. As soon as I got back I applied for PR and was successful as a FSW. I landed, filled in some paperwork and got my PR card and came back here due to a sudden change in family circumstances and a decent job opportunity that arose at the time.

Fast forward 3 years and I'm unemployed and finding it difficult to get a job, it's been over 7 months now since I was made redundant. My field is IT - previously was a technical support analyst doing 2nd/3rd line work and most recently was an infrastructure manager looking after a small organisation.

And so I find myself in a position where I'm seriously considering trying to get a job in Canada and living there for a while to see how it goes.

I'm a single guy and living at home so wouldn't need to wind anything up here. I have the security of knowing that I could just come back should nothing work out over there. I don't really have any commitments or anyone else to consider which makes it all the more appealing... and as I get older my friends are mostly getting married and having kids which means my social life doesn't particularly amount to much.

I have family in Ontario and could stay with them, although transport in their area is limited without access to a car. I guess what I'd like to get an idea of is will I realistically have a better chance of finding work in Toronto/Ontario within a similar IT role or should I just keep trying here?

I would love the opportunity to live over there and make a living, it doesn't have to be fancy. If I could start working and then down the line afford a small place somewhere in a half decent neighbourhood I would be happy.

I guess my fear is going over there, spending time and money from my savings and failing. I don't want to be a burden on my family over there (Aunt, Uncle and cousins) and become a moocher. I never thought I'd be out of work so long here but reality has kicked in and I think maybe I should just go out there and give it a go... but what if the situation is no better?

All constructive and realistic advice welcome please
Old Nov 12th 2012, 6:50 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unemployed, got PR, should I pack up and go?

If you are serious about giving Canada a go, now would seem to be as good a time as any to give it a try if you have some funds to live off here while you get established. The clock is ticking before your PR expires anyway, so in some respects its now or never...

If the situation is no better then you at least gave it a go and are no worse off for the experience.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 12th 2012 at 6:59 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by listener
Hi guys,

Looking for some genuine advice please. My situation is that a few years ago I went on holiday to Toronto and loved it. As soon as I got back I applied for PR and was successful as a FSW. I landed, filled in some paperwork and got my PR card and came back here due to a sudden change in family circumstances and a decent job opportunity that arose at the time.

Fast forward 3 years and I'm unemployed and finding it difficult to get a job, it's been over 7 months now since I was made redundant. My field is IT - previously was a technical support analyst doing 2nd/3rd line work and most recently was an infrastructure manager looking after a small organisation.

And so I find myself in a position where I'm seriously considering trying to get a job in Canada and living there for a while to see how it goes.

I'm a single guy and living at home so wouldn't need to wind anything up here. I have the security of knowing that I could just come back should nothing work out over there. I don't really have any commitments or anyone else to consider which makes it all the more appealing... and as I get older my friends are mostly getting married and having kids which means my social life doesn't particularly amount to much.

I have family in Ontario and could stay with them, although transport in their area is limited without access to a car. I guess what I'd like to get an idea of is will I realistically have a better chance of finding work in Toronto/Ontario within a similar IT role or should I just keep trying here?

I would love the opportunity to live over there and make a living, it doesn't have to be fancy. If I could start working and then down the line afford a small place somewhere in a half decent neighbourhood I would be happy.

I guess my fear is going over there, spending time and money from my savings and failing. I don't want to be a burden on my family over there (Aunt, Uncle and cousins) and become a moocher. I never thought I'd be out of work so long here but reality has kicked in and I think maybe I should just go out there and give it a go... but what if the situation is no better?

All constructive and realistic advice welcome please
You may have lost your PR status due to not fulfilling the 730 days in each 5 year period requirement. Obviously, this will depend upon how long you have been away from Canada.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

I moved over to Canada nearly 5 years ago.

At the time I had a good job in the UK. I sold up and book the first cheap flight i could find to Canada. I like you worked in IT Support.

Before I came I started looking for work. I found a job. I sent off my CV with a positive covering letter statting why I thought I would be perfect for the Job anbd after a short telephone interview they told me to contact them once I arrived. Once I arrived, I started work with them. Since then I have not been out of work and am contacted often by recruiters looking for people with my skill set.

The first job I had in Canada was in some ways below my skill and pay level, but gave me enough to get by, and gave me an in to the Canadian job market.

My advice to you would be to start looking for work in Canada from now. Send your CVs to some companies and try and line up some interviews before you come over.

Another key to finding work in Canada is networking. If you are a confident outgoing person willing to ask others to help in your search, you have more chance of success.

If I was you, I would also speak to my relatives, tell them about your plans to come to Canada, and get them to start sending your CV around.

From checking your previous posts, you landed about 2 1/2 years ago. You are running out of time for making the move. But it is up to you to decided if you still want to be here, if not, then your best bet is to try to make things work in the UK, as if you don't mind moving, there are probably more prospects there than in Canada.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Like others say, the clock is ticking and you need to double-check that your PR status is still valid.

IF it is, AND IF your skillset is reasonably up to date, AND IF you have enough $$ to support yourself cheaply for a few months while you get a job, AND IF you are the kind of person who will apply himself with determination, regardless of the outcome - lots of 'if's in there, I know, spaghetti-code conditional branching - THEN get your azz out to 'Tronna, where there should be no issues finding work!

Alternatively, move elsewhere in the UK and drive yourself mad over the next 10 years wondering whether the grass really was greener.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

listener has a spectacular aura aboutlistener has a spectacular aura aboutlistener has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the replies guys.

The PR timeline is also one of the factors which is pushing me to give it a try, as the 3 year mark since landing is approaching in a few months. If I want to give it a go, I'd have to make sure I get there with enough time to fulfil the remaining 730 days.

Also looking at the new FSW criteria, I wouldn't be eligible to reapply should this one run out... So essentially I'd have wasted time and money in applying for it in the first place if I don't use it.

I agree with you guys that now is as good a time as any. The networking thing puts me off slightly as admittedly I'm not great at it yet I read a lot on how thats the best way to get a job.

Can someone recommend some job sites where I could look at whats out there? Although I'm not sure whether that would be a reliable indication of job availability - I apply to at least a dozen jobs a week here and barely get an interview. But anyone from outside would look at how many IT jobs there are and think it's a goldmine!
Old Nov 12th 2012, 10:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If I want to give it a go, I'd have to make sure I get there with enough time to fulfil the remaining 730 days.
Give yourself at least a couple of months leeway on top of that as well, just so you can leave Canada if you need/want to. The last thing you'd want is to need to return to the UK for an emergency, or to be sent abroad by work, etc, and be unable to leave without losing PR.

So if your three years is up in March, personally I'd move by early Jan at the latest.

Good luck.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 12:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you guys that now is as good a time as any. The networking thing puts me off slightly as admittedly I'm not great at it yet I read a lot on how thats the best way to get a job.
You do have the advantage of some extended family here, you can ask them to keep their ear to the ground and put the word out, here its who you know, and you start off by knowing at least that many people... The bottom line though is its a lot easier to find work once you are over here, so dont wait for everything to fall into place if it means your PR will expire in the mean time.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 1:06 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Give yourself at least a couple of months leeway on top of that as well, just so you can leave Canada if you need/want to. The last thing you'd want is to need to return to the UK for an emergency, or to be sent abroad by work, etc, and be unable to leave without losing PR.

So if your three years is up in March, personally I'd move by early Jan at the latest.

Good luck.
id go now..what you got to lose?..hes single lives with his mum, has no assets to liquidate..no job..no prospects...chance to start again with a clean slate fresh opportunities..no point arsing around for another 2-3 months..i would be on the first flight out.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 1:42 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

you're young with no ties, what have you got to lose??

Give it a go. Take any job you can as soon as you arrive. Tim Horton's or other fast food, go to the staffing agencies, try security work. Then at least you will have some money coming in while you look for a job in IT.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

HSJones is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd take the leap and go for it....so long as you have enough savings to support yourself for at least 6-9 months.

Good luck!
Old Nov 13th 2012, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see that you have anything to lose, so why wouldn't you do it? Rather than staying with family in some remote area though, I'd suggest staying somewhere cheap in Toronto (house or flat share) as you'll find it much easier to get work there and you'll meet some people. There seem to be a decent number of IT jobs on offer so I wouldn't think you'll have too much trouble finding something.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 3:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I suppose for IT Toronto is a good base, but I never got this "more jobs in Toronto" thing... yes, there are more jobs, but there are a lot more people there going for them too, I figure that its hard to stand out from the crowd as just another new immigrant there.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
id go now..what you got to lose?..hes single lives with his mum, has no assets to liquidate..no job..no prospects...chance to start again with a clean slate fresh opportunities..no point arsing around for another 2-3 months..i would be on the first flight out.
Originally Posted by bats
you're young with no ties, what have you got to lose??

Give it a go. Take any job you can as soon as you arrive. Tim Horton's or other fast food, go to the staffing agencies, try security work. Then at least you will have some money coming in while you look for a job in IT.
+1. You have nothing to lose!
Old Nov 15th 2012, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

Hi listener,

I was in a similar situation to yourself. A lot of my friends have married and are part of the 'im now married club.'
I too was single, I worked as a application support analyst in London. I gave up my job and came to Canada on a work permit for three years. My PR took forever to come through, so after my work permit I moved back to London. For a whole year I was unemployed. I could not get a job anywhere. I applied to jobs like Mcdonalds, Starbucks, entry level jobs etc. I could not get anything. A year later my PR came through and I have moved back to Calgary. Im staying with family too till I get myself a bit more settled.
I got offered a entry level job at a Bank here a not long after coming here(and I start Monday whoot whoot!).

So to come full circle and answer your question should you go. I would say yes. You have nothing to lose. If it does not work out, just go back. Ok there is a financial cost, but nothing ventured nothing gained? Don't worry about failing, I have failed loads. Lost most of my money too. But I got here in the end (albeit lots of life lessons learned).

When I look back at the decision I made to move it cost me a lot. But it depends on what type of lifestyle you want. In Calgary Alberta, lots of outdoors things to do. Its not as cosmopolitan like London (but thats why I moved), but infrastructure is better (i.e if a leaf falls on a railway track the whole country does not grind to a halt like the UK) and pace of life is much slower.
There are lots of opportunities here. But don't get me wrong, the grass is not always greener on the other side. If your willing to adapt and try new experiences it can be a great place with life changing experiences.
It changed my view and perspective on things when I moved back home for a year.
Don't focus on the failing. See it as a chance and opportunity and go for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.