Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Understanding Canadian Cable TV

Understanding Canadian Cable TV

Old Jun 12th 2005, 8:16 pm
Living It!

saund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant future
Default Understanding Canadian Cable TV

We currently have terrestrial and satellite TV in the UK. When we move to British Columbia we have the option of Cable TV. Having never experienced Cable how does it work? In particular can you run TV in multiple rooms without having to pay extra, as with terrestrial TV?
Old Jun 12th 2005, 9:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Understanding Canadian Cable TV

Cable...less flexible as you'll have to have cable outlets set up in your home, no probs if it is your own gaff, but if you rent...
anyway, if it's basic cable it's no probs with lots of tele, if it's digital cable, you'll need a reciever for each tele, or all the tv's will see what the channel on the reciever is...as to how much, don't have a clue for Canada
Old Jun 12th 2005, 9:47 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Bob
Cable...less flexible as you'll have to have cable outlets set up in your home, no probs if it is your own gaff, but if you rent...
anyway, if it's basic cable it's no probs with lots of tele, if it's digital cable, you'll need a reciever for each tele, or all the tv's will see what the channel on the reciever is...as to how much, don't have a clue for Canada
Shaw in BC is $5.95 per month for each additional outlet. You cost for Cable is for the number of additional channels you order after the basis. See: www.shaw.ca for costs.

PMM
Old Jun 13th 2005, 8:38 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by saund_cp
We currently have terrestrial and satellite TV in the UK. When we move to British Columbia we have the option of Cable TV. Having never experienced Cable how does it work? In particular can you run TV in multiple rooms without having to pay extra, as with terrestrial TV?
From my perspective, cable is similar to terrestial but instead of a yearly license you pay a monthly bill depending on how many channels you want and whether or not you want to use cable for accessing the internet.

In BC, I had full cable and highspeed net accesss for about $75 and was not charged additional fees for additional outlets but that could have been included in the particular "bundle" I selected. The price has probably increased.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 11:49 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
From my perspective, cable is similar to terrestial but instead of a yearly license you pay a monthly bill depending on how many channels you want and whether or not you want to use cable for accessing the internet.

In BC, I had full cable and highspeed net accesss for about $75 and was not charged additional fees for additional outlets but that could have been included in the particular "bundle" I selected. The price has probably increased.
We're in Quebec and so subscribe to Videotron cable. We pay about $90 per month for a cable TV package (nothing fancy and not digital) and a high speed internet connection (unlimited use, which is just as well). The cost includes $5 for a second outlet. We bought a digital router, instead of buying a second modem, and I've split the cables, so we can have two TVs and two computers running at the same time. Technically, splitting cables is a bit naughty but I've been told by someone from the industry that they don't care except when it comes to pay-per-view stuff.