Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Undecided and confused :S

Undecided and confused :S

Old Sep 11th 2015, 5:44 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Undecided and confused :S

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I've spent a lot of my day worrying about the children getting mauled by the large black bear spotted on the road that borders my property yesterday. I know that the bear is full on berries, Cubs are bigger and it's more scared of us but all of this knowledge doesn't take away from being brought up in a country without bears/spiders/snakes and the sheer anxiety that brings. My neighbour tells me I should be more worried about the dog and porcupines or the coyotes around here
My partner, who's from the UK but lived in Australia for 29 years thinks that when we visit Ontario he's going to see bears strolling around the cities. I'll have to show him your post.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Bubble90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Once you have your heart set on a place it's very hard to change your mind lol it has always been Australia for us, everyone in our family including us have been at least once. They didn't stay simply because they didn't have a job that's on the SOL (we have this advantage). My dad did complain about working in the heat, which worries my husband a little , I think that's why Canada has been the talk of the house for the past few weeks. But then every time he hears anything about Australia he's straight back to 'nope, its definitely Australia I want to be'.

I think a visit to Canada will be worth it before we splash all our savings on our move to Australia, just to be sure. But its seeming like every time we talk about Canada there just isn't the same excitement or enthusiasm we have for Aus. I think the real thing that's had us torn in the middle is, 'would having family to help us settle make the move easier?', but as we've done all the research on Oz and we've never depended on family, I'm definitely starting to think it's not worth going to a Country we've never been drawn to just because we have family there.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 10:21 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bubble90
Once you have your heart set on a place it's very hard to change your mind lol it has always been Australia for us, everyone in our family including us have been at least once.

They didn't stay simply because they didn't have a job that's on the SOL (we have this advantage). My dad did complain about working in the heat, which worries my husband a little I'm definitely starting to think it's not worth going to a Country we've never been drawn to just because we have family there.

But then every time he hears anything about Australia he's straight back to 'nope, its definitely Australia I want to be'.

I'm definitely starting to think it's not worth going to a Country we've never been drawn to just because we have family there.
Back quite a few years ago, my sister then aged 21 with her 24 year old husband emigrated to Australia, no job, no family or friends, no pre arranged accommodations - it was do or die.

Why do you need the certainty of every possible 'which one, should we, shouldn't we, should we do a recce etc'.

If your mind is set on emigrating then 'do it', worse that can happen is you'll return back to your old life in the UK

Last edited by not2old; Sep 11th 2015 at 10:37 am. Reason: edited
Old Sep 11th 2015, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bubble90
Once you have your heart set on a place it's very hard to change your mind lol it has always been Australia for us, everyone in our family including us have been at least once. They didn't stay simply because they didn't have a job that's on the SOL (we have this advantage). My dad did complain about working in the heat, which worries my husband a little , I think that's why Canada has been the talk of the house for the past few weeks. But then every time he hears anything about Australia he's straight back to 'nope, its definitely Australia I want to be'.

I think a visit to Canada will be worth it before we splash all our savings on our move to Australia, just to be sure. But its seeming like every time we talk about Canada there just isn't the same excitement or enthusiasm we have for Aus. I think the real thing that's had us torn in the middle is, 'would having family to help us settle make the move easier?', but as we've done all the research on Oz and we've never depended on family, I'm definitely starting to think it's not worth going to a Country we've never been drawn to just because we have family there.
I'm the reverse to you.

I have a much older sister who moved to Australia before I was even born!!! I have a fantastic relationship with her BUT Australia has just never appealed so here I am with by husband and kids in Canada and I can most certainly say I don't regret my decision.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 12:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
My partner, who's from the UK but lived in Australia for 29 years thinks that when we visit Ontario he's going to see bears strolling around the cities.
Don't forget the zombies.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 5:10 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Why do you need the certainty of every possible 'which one, should we, shouldn't we, should we do a recce etc'.

If your mind is set on emigrating then 'do it', worse that can happen is you'll return back to your old life in the UK.
Anecdote on this. Family friends of ours had decided Canada or New Zealand were going to offer a better life for themselves and their kids. They'd never been to either before and didn't want to spend the money or time visiting to ensure reality matched their expectations.

They decided New Zealand was to be their new home.

Since this was during the financial issues the globe was suffering, their house was worth less than they paid so they rented it out.

Long story short, 12 months later they moved back home due to the following:
  • They struggled to find jobs they expected to walk into
  • The kids were very unhappy (girl was bullied at her new school)
  • They missed family and friends, and skype didn't cut it
  • A parent died
  • The renters trashed their house and cost them upwards of 20,000 pounds
  • They realised the grass is rarely greener

On top of this, they had to put their dog in quarantine for 6 months after they got home, and another parent died months after they arrived home.

They regret every bit of it, and wished they'd spent time there prior to moving.

Take from that what you will. They were ****ing stupid.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Back quite a few years ago, my sister then aged 21 with her 24 year old husband emigrated to Australia, no job, no family or friends, no pre arranged accommodations - it was do or die.

If your mind is set on emigrating then 'do it', worse that can happen is you'll return back to your old life in the UK

I would be less inclined with the 'do it' attitude when kids are involved.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 4:08 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
That almost makes up for the rest. Every time I go there I'm at least $50 poorer.
It's getting very busy these days. And around Christmas time its insane. You have to get there as soon as the market opens otherwise it can be a long wait.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 4:49 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
It's getting very busy these days. And around Christmas time its insane. You have to get there as soon as the market opens otherwise it can be a long wait.
Yeah, they have that number thing now though - I usually nip round to the cake shop if there is enough of a gap ahead. Last time I was there the stereotypical grumpy frenchman who runs it was shouting at his staff for putting the salami in the wrong place which also helped pass the time.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 5:38 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
putting the salami in the wrong place which also helped pass the time.
My wife once shouted at me for doing that
Old Sep 12th 2015, 5:58 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Its easier to ask for forgiveness than to get permission.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 12:21 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Maybe your missus has some grumpy frenchman in her that you don't know about.