Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Undecided and confused :S

Undecided and confused :S

Old Sep 10th 2015, 6:21 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Undecided and confused :S

Not one further peep from me on the matter, I can promise you that!!!
Old Sep 10th 2015, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Bubble90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not to sound rude to anyone.... But my phone has been going mad with emails from a conversation started on this thread that has nothing to do with my question... Can we keep on the pros and cons of Canada? Or can I unsubscribe from this thread.... Lol seems to be getting a bit too personal and negative.. Sorry
Old Sep 10th 2015, 1:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bubble90
Not to sound rude to anyone.... But my phone has been going mad with emails from a conversation started on this thread that has nothing to do with my question... Can we keep on the pros and cons of Canada? Or can I unsubscribe from this thread.... Lol seems to be getting a bit too personal and negative.. Sorry
See posts above from Siouxie and I, we've asked the people concerned to take the conversation elsewhere. You can of course unsubscribe from the thread too (I never subscribe to any threads, can't be doing with notifications!) if you don't want to be alerted of any new replies. Be warned though, thread drift is perfectly normal and you're unlikely to find that any thread you start stays on track. The only reason we commented on this one was that it was very much a conversation between two people on a completely different subject, but threads often go off on a tangent!

HTH.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Lol oh how can I stop notifications? Would be a lot easier if I could just check replies when I'm on instead of getting them emailed. Forums and social media are not something I'm used to...lol
Old Sep 10th 2015, 1:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Lol oh how can I stop notifications? Would be a lot easier if I could just check replies when I'm on instead of getting them emailed. Forums and social media are not something I'm used to...lol
Just go to your profile (top left) and then in there somewhere is the option to either automatically subscribe to all threads, to only subscribe to certain ones, or to not subscribe to any - I think it's in the 'edit options' if I remember correctly.

If it's not there, then have a look at the FAQ as that should tell you how to do it.

HTH.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 2:48 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just go to your profile (top left) and then in there somewhere is the option to either automatically subscribe to all threads, to only subscribe to certain ones, or to not subscribe to any - I think it's in the 'edit options' if I remember correctly.

If it's not there, then have a look at the FAQ as that should tell you how to do it.

HTH.
Sorry!!! Although health care in Canada (albeit loosely) is relevant😉
Old Sep 10th 2015, 4:09 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this has already been asked, but why the switch from Australia to Canada?
Old Sep 10th 2015, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

We ideally want Australia BUT we have family in Canada so trying to decide where we'd be better off. Family isn't a big part of it really as we keep to ourselves and our families are already scattered across the world. We haven't exactly 'switched', we're undecided. Had a recent visit from family in Canada who suggested we have a look into it before we start paying out for assessments etc for Australia.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 5:00 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

We ideally want Australia BUT we have family in Canada so trying to decide where we'd be better off. Family isn't a big part of it really as we keep to ourselves and our families are already scattered across the world. We haven't exactly 'switched', we're undecided. Had a recent visit from family in Canada who suggested we have a look into it before we start paying out for assessments etc for Australia.
If you're contemplating such a huge move I think you're right to look at all your options. Never been to Australia so can't really comment on the standard of living or lifestyle, but I never really fancied all the killer bugs and snakes. Here you just have to worry about being torn apart by something.

I would have thought the big thing for you guys would be the ease of obtaining a visa. If you want something more permanent the the IEC 2 year route for Canada, you might find there are quite a lot of requirements to meet. Again, can't speak for the ease of visa for Aus.
Good luck though...
Old Sep 10th 2015, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody country shoppers I hate them
As with anyone contemplating a move to another country there are many variables but in the end its YOUR decision rather than relying on a bunch of strangers on an internet forum. There will be those who will give you some great advice on both countries but you will decide.
Moving to any country will cost money its how much you are prepared to invest and remember the grass isn't always greener sometimes its just a different shade and in certain parts of Canada you won't see grass for 5 to 6 months a year due to the bloody snow.

My priority would be where can I find work but then you have the visa issue.
There are those who can get visas for countries but on arriving find it very difficult to get a job in their required field. Some get offered jobs but find it hard to get a visa as Canada has recently cracked down on what they deem unskilled workers or limiting the number of workers skilled or not that they will accept.
Do your research then it will be up to you to make a decision if to emigrate or not.
Thats my 2 cents worth.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 5:29 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, I'm new to this forum

I have a lot of questions so I will start with the big one!
What do you love / hate about Canada?

We are a small family of three. My husband and I have been talking about moving for years. At first, we looked into Australia (a lot!) But we want to explore our options before we start paying out for migration agents etc. It has been suggested to us by friends and family members that we look into Canada for various reasons (proper seasons, we have family there, slightly cheaper cost of living than Australia etc).

I would love to hear anyone's pros and cons? I really don't know much about Canada. We live in Northern Ireland and I am determined to move before our son starts school and we decide to have more children making the move that bit more difficult. Thanks in advance for any responses !
Leap of faith & a bunch of strangers opinions, all which will never ever IMO match your reasons to want to emigrate.

Pick a country, do all of the research yourself, spend some time & money possibly doing a recce

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Bloody country shoppers I hate them

As with anyone contemplating a move to another country there are many variables but in the end its YOUR decision rather than relying on a bunch of strangers on an internet forum. There will be those who will give you some great advice on both countries but you will decide.

Do your research then it will be up to you to make a decision if to emigrate or not.

Thats my 2 cents worth.

seems most everyone these days wants the internet forum 'easy, quick fix' answer to tell them what they [smiling] should do as to the right choice to make

Is the grass greener or better where you're at or in another country?

Try emigrating without having all this somewhat useless nonsense available today that's on the internet or forums
Old Sep 10th 2015, 6:20 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

The only way you are going to know is to visit any country you are thinking of immigrating to at least once, twice is better.

I doubt you'll find any one better or worse from where you are for lifestyle, just different.

If looking for a 'better life' stay where you are, moving countries for this reason is like chasing rainbows. Better life for the kids is another one. It isn't, it'll be pretty much the same, just dressed differently.

If you want an adventure and happy to take whatever comes your way, it's worth a shot. Worst than can happen is you move back form where you started.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 6:33 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

OP, some good information & advice has been provided to you by BE members that have travelled the 'immigrant road'

You can never ever get it 100% right & all the what-if's & planning' can go off the rails once you emigrate to a new country.

What you have in your favour are your age & at 26, my opinion is take the bull by the horns & apply, after all you mentioned you have family in Canada & that there would be few issues to you leaving the UK.

Come for a holiday first (a recee) - winter is a good time because you'll get to see Canada at its weather worse. Sometime mid February should do it

In the meantime have your Canadian family [that know you] answer some of the questions which are personal to you as to 'is Canada a good place to emigrate to today & why'.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 12:33 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I was born and raised and lived my first 40+ years in Canada. I have now lived in Australia for just over 9 years. I was born in Southern Ontario but have lived in BC, Alberta and Northern Ontario. In Australia I've lived in both Adelaide and Perth - currently Perth but travel to ADL 4 times a year for university (I study externally at a university in South Australia).

Australia and Canada are similar in a lot of ways; more similar IMO than say Australia is to UK or Canada is to UK. However they're also very different. It's coming to spring here so it's starting to be drier with a lot less rain. With that brings extreme heat and bushfires. It's only been spring for 11 days but there have already been two bushfires in Perth metro. I know people say they want to move here for the warm weather and beaches, but honestly when it's 40+ out with a UV of 15 you cannot be outside for more than about 10 or 15 minutes - most people spend the day hiding from the heat in air conditioned offices or shopping centres. As for being at the beach, I've lived within a 5 minute drive from the beach since moving to WA and can count on one hand the number of times I've been in the sea. The house I'm in now is a 5 minute walk to the beach but we haven't been here in summer yet, so I'll let you know if we actually manage to get there this summer.

When I go home to Ontario I'm always struck by how busy it is compared to Perth. And I always notice the brown haze that hangs over the area in the sky. My family don't see it, but I do. While I do love the variety of shops and the opening hours, I don't know that I could live where it's so busy now after so many years somewhere quiet.

If Australia is where you want to be then my vote (FWIW) is for you to move to Australia. If Canada is where you truly want to be (don't do it for family) then move to Canada. Don't do it for the weather, for the beaches, for family, for some perceived "better". Do it because you're drawn to a place.

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
If you're contemplating such a huge move I think you're right to look at all your options. Never been to Australia so can't really comment on the standard of living or lifestyle, but I never really fancied all the killer bugs and snakes. Here you just have to worry about being torn apart by something.

I would have thought the big thing for you guys would be the ease of obtaining a visa. If you want something more permanent the the IEC 2 year route for Canada, you might find there are quite a lot of requirements to meet. Again, can't speak for the ease of visa for Aus.
Good luck though...
In 9 years here I have seen 2 large spiders (lots of little ones but no bigger than anything in Canada) and have seen one snake - dead on the road. It's a myth that there's a whole lot of wildlife out there just waiting to kill you.

Visa wise, it's not difficult to obtain a permanent visa to live in Australia if you have a skill on the list, are under 50 and have no serious medical or criminal background. The place to start is Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection
Old Sep 11th 2015, 1:24 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I was born and raised and lived my first 40+ years in Canada. I have now lived in Australia for just over 9 years. I was born in Southern Ontario but have lived in BC, Alberta and Northern Ontario. In Australia I've lived in both Adelaide and Perth - currently Perth but travel to ADL 4 times a year for university (I study externally at a university in South Australia).

Australia and Canada are similar in a lot of ways; more similar IMO than say Australia is to UK or Canada is to UK. However they're also very different. It's coming to spring here so it's starting to be drier with a lot less rain. With that brings extreme heat and bushfires. It's only been spring for 11 days but there have already been two bushfires in Perth metro. I know people say they want to move here for the warm weather and beaches, but honestly when it's 40+ out with a UV of 15 you cannot be outside for more than about 10 or 15 minutes - most people spend the day hiding from the heat in air conditioned offices or shopping centres. As for being at the beach, I've lived within a 5 minute drive from the beach since moving to WA and can count on one hand the number of times I've been in the sea. The house I'm in now is a 5 minute walk to the beach but we haven't been here in summer yet, so I'll let you know if we actually manage to get there this summer.

When I go home to Ontario I'm always struck by how busy it is compared to Perth. And I always notice the brown haze that hangs over the area in the sky. My family don't see it, but I do. While I do love the variety of shops and the opening hours, I don't know that I could live where it's so busy now after so many years somewhere quiet.

If Australia is where you want to be then my vote (FWIW) is for you to move to Australia. If Canada is where you truly want to be (don't do it for family) then move to Canada. Don't do it for the weather, for the beaches, for family, for some perceived "better". Do it because you're drawn to a place.

In 9 years here I have seen 2 large spiders (lots of little ones but no bigger than anything in Canada) and have seen one snake - dead on the road. It's a myth that there's a whole lot of wildlife out there just waiting to kill you.

Visa wise, it's not difficult to obtain a permanent visa to live in Australia if you have a skill on the list, are under 50 and have no serious medical or criminal background. The place to start is Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection
I've spent a lot of my day worrying about the children getting mauled by the large black bear spotted on the road that borders my property yesterday. I know that the bear is full on berries, Cubs are bigger and it's more scared of us but all of this knowledge doesn't take away from being brought up in a country without bears/spiders/snakes and the sheer anxiety that brings. My neighbour tells me I should be more worried about the dog and porcupines or the coyotes around here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.