Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Unacompanied minor on flight

Unacompanied minor on flight

Old Mar 23rd 2015, 5:56 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Unacompanied minor on flight

Hi All
Do any of you have one of those letters of authorisation for a kid travelling unaccompanied to and from the UK that I could have a peek at please. Our eldest (12) is flying back to spend the summer with my mum and then mother in law and grand dad and cousins etc. She'll be chaperoned on the flights but she's never flown alone. I'm not sure what the letters authorising hand-overs need to contain. She's only ever flown with the rest of the family before.
Thanks for any info.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 6:00 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unacompanied minor on flight

Airline takes care of that. If traveling as a UM, they will require details of person picking the child up at London and also picking them up in Canada when they return. Airline will ask for ID from the person picking them up and not hand them over to anyone else. That's what you pay your $100 for.

No need for an authorisation letter. This is when traveling with a lone parent.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Hi All
Do any of you have one of those letters of authorisation for a kid travelling unaccompanied to and from the UK that I could have a peek at please. Our eldest (12) is flying back to spend the summer with my mum and then mother in law and grand dad and cousins etc. She'll be chaperoned on the flights but she's never flown alone. I'm not sure what the letters authorising hand-overs need to contain. She's only ever flown with the rest of the family before.
Thanks for any info.
Here you go: Consent Letter
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 6:02 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Hi All
Thanks for any info.
1. Here is what Air Canada requires for UMs. Note 12 years UM is considered optional.

"At the airport
When you arrive at the airport, head for the Air Canada counter to begin check-in formalities.

You will first be asked to provide identification for your child. Only original documents are accepted (no photocopies)
For travel within Canada, children under 18 years of age must present a birth certificate, health card, passport or other government-issued identification.
For flights to and from the United-States as well as international flights, a passport is required.
See our travel documents and travelling with an infant or child pages for more information.
You will then be asked to complete a "Request for Carriage" form, which is attached to an envelope bearing the letters "UM." The form contains:
Your child's identification and flight number,
The name(s) and contact information of the person(s) who will meet your child at his/her destination, and
The authorizing signature of your child's parent or guardian.
The envelope will remain in the care of an Air Canada agent, and serves as a document holder for your child's passport, airline ticket, emergency numbers, and Customs documentation.

Even after an Air Canada agent has taken your child into their care, you must remain at the airport until the flight has departed.

2. Google the airline that the child is going to fly on to determine their policies.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 6:11 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info guys. I just found the same link too. It seems pretty straightforward.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info guys. I just found the same link too. It seems pretty straightforward.
Our son is 14 and we are planning to have him go to Ireland this summer for a week to see his uncle/aunt/cousin. We were quoted the $100 each way fare for the unaccompanied minor program. The airline we are using indicated that for over age 12 it is an optional fee. It seems like a bit expensive for what you get. I'll just go with the letter and have his uncle pick him up at Dublin airport.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 7:26 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Our son is 14 and we are planning to have him go to Ireland this summer for a week to see his uncle/aunt/cousin. We were quoted the $100 each way fare for the unaccompanied minor program. The airline we are using indicated that for over age 12 it is an optional fee. It seems like a bit expensive for what you get. I'll just go with the letter and have his uncle pick him up at Dublin airport.
I always thought a child's well being and peace of mind was worth the $100.

The carrier are assuming some level of responsibility for the child, they are taken right through to the gate, when disembarking, to the arrivals gate and closer monitoring on the flight. A 10 hour journey, more from the west coast, $10 an hour to have your kid looked after.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

This and remember the carrier also takes the responsibility of the child in the event of cancellations/delays etc mid route.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 7:51 pm
"In cruce vincam"

We're paying the $100 each way. They get preferential boarding, headphones etc too. At only 12 years old it's an essential service as far as I'm concerned. She's super excited!
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator

The carrier are assuming some level of responsibility for the child, they are taken right through to the gate, when disembarking, to the arrivals gate and closer monitoring on the flight. A 10 hour journey, more from the west coast, $10 an hour to have your kid looked after.
He is 14 going on 15, he has been to Ireland before and it is a direct flight from Montreal to Dublin (6 hours total).

Maybe its just me but it seems like overkill for a 14/15 year old. I flew across the Atlantic at age 11 with my 9 year old brother and we were met at one end by a relative who was never asked who he was. We didn't pay any extra and I think all we got was a flight attendant who made sure we got our luggage.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 8:55 pm

We're paying the $100 each way. They get preferential boarding, headphones etc too. At only 12 years old it's an essential service as far as I'm concerned. She's super excited!
They get early boarding (before the rabble), nothing preferential and UMs are the last off the flight, so may be a bit delayed getting through. They should also get help with their bags and passport control.

Mine got spoiled, got too used to sitting up front, now they have to pay for themselves it is a whole different thing!
Old Mar 24th 2015, 12:44 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

I'd consider $100 a bargain, hell I'd consider flying with them myself and just getting the same plane back once they were delivered safely.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 1:39 am
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
I'd consider $100 a bargain, hell I'd consider flying with them myself and just getting the same plane back once they were delivered safely.
For me, if she's not ready to do it with a chaperone, she's not ready to do it at all.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 1:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator

Quite.

When my daughter was 12 she flew from the US to Manchester with BA. It was a night flight and she was seated in an empty row of 3 seats. During the flight an adult moved into one of the seats...he was promptly told to move.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
I'd consider flying with them myself and just getting the same plane back once they were delivered safely.
I did. Not the same flight back though. I picked them up a few weeks later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.