Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Un-happy in Canada!

Un-happy in Canada!

Old Feb 13th 2015, 8:22 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Un-happy in Canada!

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Clearly I have too be more specific, its too far from any decent city such as Seatttle/Bellingham/Spokane.

BC in general though is a crap hole, and its impossible to be happy here for some. Gotta have tons of $$$$ to enjoy life in this province otherwise its an unpleasant place to live with no future.
That's literally true of anywhere which is desirable to live... Generally you need lots of money be it City or Rural living...
Old Feb 13th 2015, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jossie
I am not a huge fan of any big city to be honest but at least in Vancouver East Hastings is where the vast majority of crack heads are on the street so they are confined to one main street. In Seattle they are everywhere, the main city is pretty much a dirty cesspit. The large outlet malls near Tulalip are great for shopping but they are not in the city itself. What line of work are you and your partner in if you don't mind me asking? I know lots of people that don't have high income and still love living here. Are you both out of work, is that the main problem you are having?
We work. I do a little of everything, no specific type of work. I generally end up in hotels as night auditor but right now I work in parking.

My spouse works at a real estate office as an admin assistant.

We both have health issues that limits our work to part time. I do 30 hours a week and she does 22 most weeks.

Neither of us have careers or any useful skills although she has some college but no degree.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 2:20 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you just refer to Seattle, Spokane and Bellingham as decent cities...WOW. I was hard pushed to find a street without someone shooting up heroin in Seattle. And you think BC in General is a crap hole. Do you live in opposite land?
I thought of this post this morning while I was walking from the car park. I went by a group of people who were injecting themselves (note that the car thermometer read -30C). Is that heroin, I thought? I dunno, maybe they're diabetics. Only the jossies would know from a distance what's in their syringes.

Of course there's more drug consumption in Seattle than Penticton, though perhaps not per capita. Seattle is a city, it has drugs, and a market with cheese and fish and an IKEA and all the rest of the city stuff. The Okykoky region of BC instead has open spaces and the option to kill animals.

I know of the Okykoky only from the jossies posts, it's not a place one would otherwise have reason to have heard of. And so I have the idea that people living there are constantly aware that their lives are better than other peoples'. People there are delighted not to be blighted with poverty, disease or indifference to athleticism. The Okykoky seems not to be a geographic region so much as a lifestyle statement; we live here because we're quite well off, we seek to deny our aging and we're neither rich enough nor beautiful enough to live in California. We do outdoor things every day, twice, three times even, we're as fit as Joan Rivers and as good looking as Jocelyn Wildenstien.

I'd certainly choose Seattle as a place to visit over the jossie's Okykoky but, it has to be said, I'm not keen on killing things. I like there to be wildlife. If dead animals are your thing it seems the Okykoky is your place.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 3:13 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I thought of this post this morning while I was walking from the car park. I went by a group of people who were injecting themselves (note that the car thermometer read -30C). Is that heroin, I thought? I dunno, maybe they're diabetics. Only the jossies would know from a distance what's in their syringes.

Of course there's more drug consumption in Seattle than Penticton, though perhaps not per capita. Seattle is a city, it has drugs, and a market with cheese and fish and an IKEA and all the rest of the city stuff. The Okykoky region of BC instead has open spaces and the option to kill animals.

I know of the Okykoky only from the jossies posts,it's not a place one would otherwise have reason to have heard of. And so I have the idea that people living there are constantly aware that their lives are better than other peoples'. People there are delighted not to be blighted with poverty, disease or indifference to athleticism. The Okykoky seems not to be a geographic region so much as a lifestyle statement; we live here because we're quite well off, we seek to deny our aging and we're neither rich enough nor beautiful enough to live in California. We do outdoor things every day, twice, three times even, we're as fit as Joan Rivers and as good looking as Jocelyn Wildenstien.

I'd certainly choose Seattle as a place to visit over the jossie's Okykoky but, it has to be said, I'm not keen on killing things. I like there to be wildlife. If dead animals are your thing it seems the Okykoky is your place.
The highlighted comment says it all.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 4:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
That's literally true of anywhere which is desirable to live... Generally you need lots of money be it City or Rural living...
Other provinces tend to have other desirable options where BC is expensive everywhere except the podunk towns in the north and interior that offer nothing.

When I was in Ontario, I was a mere 1 hour from Toronto, and cost of living was reasonable and still had easy access to Toronto.

Go an hour from Vancouver any direction and its still pricey.

(For reference I am about an hour from Vancouver)

If I could get a job that could pay enough to support 2 people, I'd move to New Foundland after seeing the housing prices, of course I can't make that much, and disability isn't transferable to other provinces so we are stuck in BC.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

I know of the Okykoky only from the jossies posts, it's not a place one would otherwise have reason to have heard of. And so I have the idea that people living there are constantly aware that their lives are better than other peoples'. People there are delighted not to be blighted with poverty, disease or indifference to athleticism. The Okykoky seems not to be a geographic region so much as a lifestyle statement; we live here because we're quite well off, we seek to deny our aging and we're neither rich enough nor beautiful enough to live in California. We do outdoor things every day, twice, three times even, we're as fit as Joan Rivers and as good looking as Jocelyn Wildenstien.

I don't come on here as much these days but then i read stuff from dbd33 and i remember why i love to come here. What ever else is going on you can always rely on him to make you laugh.
BTW i don't like killing things either.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 1:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
The highlighted comment says it all.

I hoped it would.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Boneyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

We lived in the Okanagan before we came to Vancouver and although a beautiful place, we never settled there and felt isolated. Getting anywhere, meant a flight or a long drive. The winters can be long for most people, unless you ski etc, which most don't due to the high costs. If you love the outdoor life, it offers lots, but for most expats there, it's not what they're used to and after the initial euphoria has worn off, reality sets in. Most expats living in the okanagan came from somewhere that had a big city nearby and all that it offers. That isn't the case in okanagan.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 5:37 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boneyboy
We lived in the Okanagan before we came to Vancouver and although a beautiful place, we never settled there and felt isolated. Getting anywhere, meant a flight or a long drive. The winters can be long for most people, unless you ski etc, which most don't due to the high costs. If you love the outdoor life, it offers lots, but for most expats there, it's not what they're used to and after the initial euphoria has worn off, reality sets in. Most expats living in the okanagan came from somewhere that had a big city nearby and all that it offers. That isn't the case in okanagan.
That sums it up well. Good place for a long weekend or at most a one week break.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 5:44 pm
Account Closed

That is my biggest reason for not moving there. I feel isolated now and I am only 60km's from Vancouver, but its a tiring drive and not enjoyable, and well costs a nice few loonies to get there and back, 1/2 tank minimum usually.

Squamish too is a great place if you love the outdoors and wan't to be reasonably close to skiing, and it's what draws people here along with proximity to Vancouver and the fact you can purchase a nice home for 500,000/600,000 that would be 1 million+ in Vancouver, so commuters come here as its a nicer commute then coming from the Fraser Valley region.

I was interested in skiing, then realize how pricey it is, and quickly got that idea out of my head...

I am urban dweller 100%, just can't do the urban lifestyle since its not within our budget, but I'd probably be happy if we could get a condo downtown, dump the cash eating car, but not doable.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

UK Chrissie is a splendid one to beholdUK Chrissie is a splendid one to beholdUK Chrissie is a splendid one to beholdUK Chrissie is a splendid one to beholdUK Chrissie is a splendid one to beholdUK Chrissie is a splendid one to beholdUK Chrissie is a splendid one to beholdUK Chrissie is a splendid one to beholdUK Chrissie is a splendid one to beholdUK Chrissie is a splendid one to beholdUK Chrissie is a splendid one to behold

RE unhappy in Canada Delboy07

Well I'm not sure if you read my post . I've been here in BC Vancouver Island 18 years arrived November 1996. I knew the next day I would go home . Yes, it's a good quality of life here if you can find full-time work and a liveable wage. However - it's very different here and nothing like England. I have kept my spirits up by seeking out other Brits and Europeans ,they understand our cultural needs - The Legion is a good place to hang out although there are less of our older WW11 Vets around. You can still find someone from the Military .

I'm preparing to return to England after 18 years *I'm going home Yes, it's going to be different. Re your family - Maybe take them to England for a few years , rent out your BC home and rent something over there , I'm sure your family will enjoy the time . Just remember to apply for you Citizenship ASAP. All the best ukchrissie
Old Feb 15th 2015, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

I think some of your comments make complete sense. There are those that come here and hate the winters for example because they don't like snow or they don't ski or board and the TV is crap so its a long time doing nothing much and missing home. That is the problem of course, if you spend hundreds or thousands and several years planning your dream of living in Canada and then spend your days as if you were still in UK, popping to the shops and watching the telly then you will have problems enjoying your new life. You have to get out and embrace what is around you, after all its about a life change, its a new start so you need new hobbies, interests and friends.

My sister has lived in London for years and loves it. She also loved coming here for a holiday but could never live here. Similarly i loved visiting her last year but could never live in London, its not for me.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 6:29 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, living here is awful. The beaches, boating, camping, hiking, golfing, wineries, hunting, fishing, snowmobiling, snow shoeing, cross country skiing, ice fishing, climbing etc. it's such a drag. Might have to suffer again this weekend and drag my ass up to another amazing ski resort.
To be honest we have found that living here in the Okanagan is much the same as being on vacation here. For example this weekend gone we snow shoed on Saturday, cross country skied on Sunday and downhill skied on Monday. Each time we saw tourists that were here on vacation and we are always mindful that we are lucky as this is just a normal weekend for us. Same as in the summer months when we are on the lake or beach or doing a wine tour. We bump into tourists but these are things we do all the time. I agree with you that people who love the outdoors love it here. People who are after the city life tend not to fare too well. The only British couple I know that left the Okanagan were into the UK pub culture and they liked their designer labels and shopping. As far as I am concerned those type of people are best off back in the UK.
The Okanagan doesn't have this issue. We have a brand new cinemas, brand new event centers (hockey arena) so good hockey and concerts in town, good restaurants, lots of great wineries which also many have great lake view restaurants, great micro breweries so good local craft beer. We are also currently having a new theatre built. There are bars and night clubs - not a lot of them but they are here. Great beaches, great lakes, great golf courses etc. Shops are pretty good too.
It takes me 40 minutes to get from here and across the border into the US which isn't too bad.
OK we get that your life is uhmazing and that you have pots of cash to do all those nice things and live in a field up a mountain, however this thread isn't about you and how great your life is, it's about a guy who's finding things pretty darned hard right now, and a regular poster whom we are all aware is having a tough time of things too.

Some restraint on "look at how great my life is" on this thread mightn't be a bad idea? Just a thought.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

clairewil35 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Transatlantic, just out of curiosity where in Canada did you live?x
Old Feb 15th 2015, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

Boneyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Most expats (all those that we know for sure) at some time have questioned was leaving the UK the right thing to do. Sometimes it's as soon as you arrive or for others it may be later on. When we arrived, we completely tried to embrace the Canadian way of life and did so to a certain amount. As the years went by, although enjoying our life here, we became unsettled. Once that happens it's hard to start over again and regain that passion we all most probably had when we landed. It's then that you become discontented with your life and from then on all you can think about is the old days and what your life might have been like if you'd stayed in the UK. Now days with the internet and with forums like these, finding others in the same situation only adds fuel to the fire. Once you're as unhappy as the original poster stated, it's almost impossible to turn those feelings around no matter how hard you try.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.