Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK TV - tech question: can this V/Hz/W work in Ca?

UK TV - tech question: can this V/Hz/W work in Ca?

Old Jun 27th 2012, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

canuckypom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK TV - tech question: can this V/Hz/W work in Ca?

I've had a look at the back of my TV (flat screen, relatively new) and this is what is listed:

220-240V
50Hz
180W

Will this work in Canada?

We may get some circuitry put into the house that has 220 - so that issue might be sorted (or we could buy a transformer or whatever), but what about the rest - will the TV pick up a signal? We're not planning to have cable or satellite - will just be using it for internet TV signals.

Thanks for any input.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 12:15 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: UK TV - tech question: can this V/Hz/W work in Ca?

Originally Posted by canuckypom
I've had a look at the back of my TV (flat screen, relatively new) and this is what is listed:

220-240V
50Hz
180W

Will this work in Canada?

We may get some circuitry put into the house that has 220 - so that issue might be sorted (or we could buy a transformer or whatever), but what about the rest - will the TV pick up a signal? We're not planning to have cable or satellite - will just be using it for internet TV signals.

Thanks for any input.
I would read the wiki and check out the electrical section.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Canada is 110V, so anything 220V-only will not work.

That being said, there have been reports that *some* 220V-only TVs will work in Canada. But are you willing to take the risk?

(Techical explanation: some TVs are assembled with a dual-voltage (switching) power supply, but only get rated for the European market. Hence the sticker on the back indicates 220V only but the TV will work on 110V)

Executive summary: if the sticker on the back says 220V-240V only, the chances it will work in Canada are slim.

Last edited by FlyingDutchman6666; Jun 27th 2012 at 1:04 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

With regards to the TV picking up signals...

Canada switched over to digital on August last year, so I'm not sure if everything will now work. Like we used to be PAL, and they used to be NTSC.

I'm looking this up as I type, I'll post later with more info, lol
Old Jun 27th 2012, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
Canada is 110V, so anything 220V-only will not work.

That being said, there have been reports that *some* 220V-only TVs will work in Canada. But are you willing to take the risk?

(Techical explanation: some TVs are assembled with a dual-voltage (switching) power supply, but only get rated for the European market. Hence the sticker on the back indicates 220V only but the TV will work on 110V)

Executive summary: if the sticker on the back says 220V-240V only, the chances it will work in Canada are slim.
I guess I'd be inclined to take the risk if there's a chance we can use it - it's not going to go for anything if I leave it behind! And if there's space in the container..
Old Jun 27th 2012, 2:03 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

you might need one of these to get a signal over the air, not sure how digital standards in the UK and North America compare.

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/categ...language=en-CA

and you will need a transformer, although trying it on 110 wont do any harm as its a lower voltage and it may have a suitable switching power supply despite the labelling.

The unknown to me is whether you UK set will accept the North american output of the convertor box. PAL was an add on for most set manufacturers, with NTSC being the default, so you may be OK... If you can find a converter with HTML output then you are laughing, but I suspect most are designed for an analogue signal output (NTSC / ATSC)

If you are just feeding it a signal from your computer, then no need for the converter box.

Last edited by iaink; Jun 27th 2012 at 3:12 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 2:43 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Com'on move allong.....FFS......welcome to the 21st century

Today pal and NTSC are irrlevant if its got HDMI

its ATSC and DVB for over the air

Most Modern TV's use a switched mode power supply so more often than not no tranformer needed...
Old Jun 27th 2012, 2:49 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666

Not a technical explanation…….!!!!!
Most modern TV’s are constructed with a switch mode power supply these are often designed to work on any voltage between 90v and 270v and also work on frequencies ranging from about 40hz to 80hz
If it’s a flat screen and it say’s 220-240v I’d consider taking the back off and looking at the PSU to see what that says, If its built in the far east I’d find it unlikely that it would have a European only psu
Old Jun 27th 2012, 2:54 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

OP I haven't got the foggiest....but I have a small neat 22" inch job in my son's playroom, which I bought two months ago and it's coming, next week, and I shall just Good luck.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Not a technical explanation…….!!!!!
Most modern TV’s are constructed with a switch mode power supply these are often designed to work on any voltage between 90v and 270v and also work on frequencies ranging from about 40hz to 80hz
If it’s a flat screen and it say’s 220-240v I’d consider taking the back off and looking at the PSU to see what that says, If its built in the far east I’d find it unlikely that it would have a European only psu
Mike, given the OP's unease with things technical, I thought it wise to attach the words 'technical explanation' to something the OP wouldn't necessarily need to be concered with.

My Sony flatscreen TV, built in 2007, said 220/240V. Took the cover off to look at the PSU but there were no useable markings on it. So I said 'what the heck' and shipped it to Canada anyway, the incremental cost was near-zero. Turned out not to work.

Amusingly, the standby light went on the second I plugged it into 110V. My hopes were dashed immediately upon switching the telly on - everything went dead. It's in my garage, you can pick it up for parts if you want ;-)

That said, there will be loads of 220/240V flatscreen TVs about which will work in Canada. YMMV.

Last edited by FlyingDutchman6666; Jun 27th 2012 at 3:12 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for this.

We'll only be using it for internet transmission, so - from the sounds of the above or my non-technical interpretation anyway.. looks like it might be worth a try.. Won't have a chance to take the back off - as totally exhausted with the moving guys out the door and have now to prepare for day 2. But when they show up tomorrow I think I'll say, 'Forget what I said about 'yes we're taking, no we're taking, now maybe yes we're taking' :0