Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK TV in Canada

UK TV in Canada

Old Sep 30th 2011, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Goldenballs11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK TV in Canada

Hi all. New to this site. I am in the process of being offered a job in Canada (Montreal) and taking my family. My 11 year old daughter will want to know that Easterders, Holby and Dr Who etc will all be on her telly when she switches it in. Can this be done with satelite / cable connections?
Old Sep 30th 2011, 7:15 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK TV in Canada

My 9 yo is the same, see this thread... Can I get BBC iplayer
Old Sep 30th 2011, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks TJ. So the best thing to do is get a TV with the internet on it. That will cheer her up!! (when I tell her that is!!).
Old Sep 30th 2011, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

There's a number of websites that have UK TV torrents on them which are updated very regularly. The three I use are:
thebox.bz
uknova.com
tvchaosuk.com

The latter is fairly new I think, and whilst a little more difficult to navigate, has a ton of torrents.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Doctor who is on Space, seen at a very quick glance Eastenders as well as Coronation Street (didn't watch them in the UK and no intentions on watching them over here) Holby I haven't seen
Old Sep 30th 2011, 11:27 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
There's a number of websites that have UK TV torrents on them which are updated very regularly. The three I use are:
thebox.bz
uknova.com
tvchaosuk.com

The latter is fairly new I think, and whilst a little more difficult to navigate, has a ton of torrents.

Torrent you say? I hope you aren't using torrents, as it's so yesterday.

After targeting tens of thousands of U.S. Internet users alleged to have downloaded and shared the Oscar-winning movie The Hurt Locker, the movie’s makers have expanded their settlement business into new territory. Three Canadian ISPs have now been ordered by a court to hand over the personal details of their subscribers to Voltage Pictures.
Source: http://torrentfreak.com/hurt-locker-...-users-110909/

Last edited by ultrarunner; Oct 1st 2011 at 12:23 am.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Filmon.com

Last edited by SambaDeAmigo; Sep 30th 2011 at 11:41 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 11:45 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Torrent you say? I hope you aren't using torrents, as it's so yesterday.

Source: http://torrentfreak.com/hurt-locker-...-users-110909/
Downloading isnt illegal in Canada. If the US thinks they have jurisdiction here, good to luck to 'em.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 12:22 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Downloading isnt illegal in Canada. If the US thinks they have jurisdiction here, good to luck to 'em.
I guess they did get lucky, read fixed link
http://torrentfreak.com/hurt-locker-...-users-110909/

More on this

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/5999/125/
Old Oct 1st 2011, 3:51 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Downloading a torrent pretty much always involves some uploading of that content - even if you hit and run. Though the case ultrarunner refers to seems speculative and is probably more to do with frightening people than anything else; not that he's one to talk about copyright infringement.

To the OP, there are various ways to get UK TV. None of them are strictly legal. I pay for a VPN service and use iPlayer on a PC I've got sat under my TV. Some people use expatsheild, which is free but requires an installed app which I don't like. Others use torrents, and it's unlikely that anyone is going to come after you for torrenting coronation street.

The BBC are supposedly going to issue an international version of iPlayer soon and as soon as they provide that service I'll be using it.

Last edited by Alan2005; Oct 1st 2011 at 3:56 am.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 4:23 am
Just Joined

Guys thanks for the advice. Its the little things that cause the issues!! No doubt the job offer will come and the rest of it will fall into line.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 4:28 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Downloading a torrent pretty much always involves some uploading of that content - even if you hit and run. Though the case ultrarunner refers to seems speculative and is probably more to do with frightening people than anything else; not that he's one to talk about copyright infringement.

It seems speculative because........?
Old Oct 1st 2011, 4:44 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems speculative because........?
Because chasing after people who's IP's are logged isn't proof of downloading. A company tried the same thing in the UK and eventually it got thrown out of court and said company went bankrupt. Not to say that the exact same thing will happen here - but it's possible, which is good news for people like you that like stealing.

Last edited by Alan2005; Oct 1st 2011 at 4:47 am.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 4:49 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Because chasing after people who's IP's are logged isn't proof of downloading. A company tried the same thing in the UK and eventually it got thrown out of court and said company went bankrupt. Not to say that the exact same thing will happen here - but it's possible.
So it's not speculative then as you mentioned initially, especially when they got videotron, bell et al to reveal the IPs

It's worked in the US, and we all know this country bows to demands from the US most of the time.

People that use torrent deserve to be charged
Old Oct 1st 2011, 4:53 am

An IP address proves nothing. But whatever, I don't actually care one way or the other.

I'd really love to know what insane reason you have for this given that you seem to steal most of what you watch, read, or listen to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.