Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK Teaching qualification in 3 provinces

UK Teaching qualification in 3 provinces

Old Mar 24th 2010, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

Cracker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Teaching qualification in 3 provinces

Hello,I find it very difficult to get straight answers on this issue. I am a Permanent Resident (landed/social insurance# etc).
I have a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) from the UK. I have 10 years teaching experience. Also, BA and Masters.

Does this give me the right to attain teaching certification in
i) Quebec
ii) Ontario
iii) British Columbia

If any UK trained teacher is working in any of these places-I would really appreciate a straight answer. Many thanks.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 1:42 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Teaching qualification in 3 provinces

Originally Posted by Cracker
Hello,I find it very difficult to get straight answers on this issue. I am a Permanent Resident (landed/social insurance# etc).
I have a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) from the UK. I have 10 years teaching experience. Also, BA and Masters.

i) Quebec
ii) Ontario
iii) British Columbia

If any UK trained teacher is working in any of these places-I would really appreciate a straight answer. Many thanks.
It gives you the opportunity to obtain certification in all three.

Each province will have different rules and you might have to sit some exams to actually get certified. Of course, unless you're bilingual, Quebec would be a hard nut to crack for other reasons.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 1:04 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Likely Ontario will be easier than BC. Until you apply you will not get a definite answer from anywhere else.

http://www.oct.ca/IET/countries/coun...spx?lang=en-CA

Quote:

"Many applicants who have completed their teacher education programs in the United Kingdom meet the College’s registration requirements for certification"
Old Mar 24th 2010, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Juliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Cracker

i) Quebec
ii) Ontario
iii) British Columbia

I don't think a straight answer is actually possible. The only one who can answer your question is the BCCT in BC and OCT in Ontario. I am not sure about Quebec. It really depends upon whether you meet the academic criteria set out by the various colleges. They will need to know what courses you took in University. In BC you are required to have 1st year university English and math in order to teach. I don't think you would need that for Ontario. Once you apply to the various colleges they will provide you with a list of courses that you need to take to get certification (if any at all). The good thing is that once you have got certification and PR you will be eligible to work as a teacher. Generally speaking, teachers are better paid and have better working conditions in Canada than in the UK. With a masters and 10 years experience the pay for a classroom teacher in BC is $80,000 and is $92,000 in Ontario. Getting a job can be tricky; especially at the moment. However if you are in Special Ed, omputers, French or math you should'nt have any problems.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 9:00 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juliew
I don't think a straight answer is actually possible. The only one who can answer your question is the BCCT in BC and OCT in Ontario. I am not sure about Quebec. It really depends upon whether you meet the academic criteria set out by the various colleges. They will need to know what courses you took in University. In BC you are required to have 1st year university English and math in order to teach. I don't think you would need that for Ontario. Once you apply to the various colleges they will provide you with a list of courses that you need to take to get certification (if any at all). The good thing is that once you have got certification and PR you will be eligible to work as a teacher. Generally speaking, teachers are better paid and have better working conditions in Canada than in the UK. With a masters and 10 years experience the pay for a classroom teacher in BC is $80,000 and is $92,000 in Ontario. Getting a job can be tricky; especially at the moment. However if you are in Special Ed, omputers, French or math you should'nt have any problems.
Just a small comment on that. If the 10 years of teaching experience are for example in the UK, they don't count towards your salary level. At least in Ontario.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Juliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Just a small comment on that. If the 10 years of teaching experience are for example in the UK, they don't count towards your salary level. At least in Ontario.

They will in BC provided that you taught at a government funded school (not at a private school). When you get hired they will give you a form for your previous schools to complete.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 4:28 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Juliew
They will in BC provided that you taught at a government funded school (not at a private school). When you get hired they will give you a form for your previous schools to complete.
Really? Well, I'm glad I added the "every province is different" rider.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 1:16 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

In Ontario once you get the qualification be prepared to start at the bottom and work your way up again. Very unionised job here. You'll most likely start with doing supply teaching then go on from there.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 7:37 am
Just Joined

Swirls is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh this is a helpful thread - I was going to start one of my own about teaching in Canada! I am a qualified primary school teacher although I haven't worked as one in the UK for the past 7 years due to having children and before I had children I only completed my first year and then a couple of terms teaching. Do you think it would be worth me going on a refresher course in the UK as I haven't taught for 7 years or is recent experience not as applicable? We will hopefully be moving to Ontario (around Ottawa).
Old Mar 29th 2010, 11:34 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Swirls
Oh this is a helpful thread - I was going to start one of my own about teaching in Canada! I am a qualified primary school teacher although I haven't worked as one in the UK for the past 7 years due to having children and before I had children I only completed my first year and then a couple of terms teaching. Do you think it would be worth me going on a refresher course in the UK as I haven't taught for 7 years or is recent experience not as applicable? We will hopefully be moving to Ontario (around Ottawa).
You'll need to convince OCT that you're qualified. If you have a four year degree from a recognized university and a PGCE you'll be fine.

I can't see the point of a refresher course in the UK. But you might think of volunteering in a PS in Ottawa when you get there to get familiar with the system here and to start buildng a network.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Swirls is an unknown quantity at this point

I did a 3 year teaching course so that will be no problem proving I am qualified! Good advice re the volunteering too. Thanks
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

Cracker,

I recently arrived in BC, and am living in the lower mainland. I am a trained secondary school teacher with 10 years experience; I was offered a position with Coquitlam schoolboard and my experience was recognised as I taught in publicly funded schools.

My advice to you is to make sure you try and get accreditation while still in the UK. Once that is done it is a lot easier to proceed with getting jobs. Also, make sure you have all documents relevant to your teaching experience to present to schoolboards, such as contracts, number of years of service, recent CRB check, teacher pension, original transcripts etc. Most of all your CRB check is vital so make sure it is as recent as possible because a schoolboard in BC can only hire you if you have a valid CRB check, one cannot be done on you unless you have spent 6 months in the country. I was fortunate to have had a recent CRB check with me to present to the schoolboard and I landed a job 4 months after landing.

If you need help and advice feel free to contact me.

Ruby
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 6:34 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by RubyRose
Cracker,

I recently arrived in BC, and am living in the lower mainland. I am a trained secondary school teacher with 10 years experience; I was offered a position with Coquitlam schoolboard and my experience was recognised as I taught in publicly funded schools.

My advice to you is to make sure you try and get accreditation while still in the UK. Once that is done it is a lot easier to proceed with getting jobs. Also, make sure you have all documents relevant to your teaching experience to present to schoolboards, such as contracts, number of years of service, recent CRB check, teacher pension, original transcripts etc. Most of all your CRB check is vital so make sure it is as recent as possible because a schoolboard in BC can only hire you if you have a valid CRB check, one cannot be done on you unless you have spent 6 months in the country. I was fortunate to have had a recent CRB check with me to present to the schoolboard and I landed a job 4 months after landing.

If you need help and advice feel free to contact me.

Ruby
I'm pretty sure OCT will not allow that. You have to be resident in Ontario to apply for certification. It sounds to me that BC is a better bet than Ontario all things being equal. If there are jobs that is.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - Ontario is a bit of a stick in the mud but you can still do the same.

Ruby
Old Apr 4th 2010, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really nice

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Actually my previous experience did count for salary purposes, including my stint in the Middle East in an international private school. However, it didn't count towards any kind of seniority in my school board.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.