Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK State Pension - delayed payments ?

UK State Pension - delayed payments ?

Old Aug 1st 2022, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold
Default UK State Pension - delayed payments ?

Hi: British retired ex-pat living in Canada calling in. I have been paid my UK State Pension regularly for the last year or so, but did not get it this week. Looking back through my statements, it is normally paid on the last Friday of the month, today is Monday but it has not yet been paid. Is anyone else experiencing this delay? It is a stat holiday in Canada today, so maybe I am being premature and will get it tomorrow (Tuesday) but I just want to see if this delay is a normal thing.
Old Aug 1st 2022, 3:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134
Default Re: UK State Pension - delayed payments ?

Hi. My UK pension was due last Friday and i have not yet received it, could be due to the stat holiday, a clitch in the system or maybe all the pensions people were at Boris,s wedding bash!! I will give it until Tuesday and give them a call. Uk pension payments are usually very prompt and arrive on the actual day its due, Mine was late last month as well (first time in 5 years) so will have to see if this is going to be a regular thing.
Old Aug 1st 2022, 3:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheltonian
Mine was late last month as well (first time in 5 years) so will have to see if this is going to be a regular thing.
I know that payments are done via the US, so if there is a US public holiday they're always a day late - possibly that was 4th July/Independence Day?
Old Aug 1st 2022, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

Hi. My UK pension was due last Friday and i have not yet received it, could be due to the stat holiday, a clitch in the system or maybe all the pensions people were at Boris,s wedding bash!! I will give it until Tuesday and give them a call. Uk pension payments are usually very prompt and arrive on the actual day its due, Mine was late last month as well (first time in 5 years) so will have to see if this is going to be a regular thing.
I phoned them and asked about it. Apparently there is now a "Life Certificate" which needs to be signed and witnessed every couple of years. They say they sent two to me (one in March, one more recently) and didn't get them back. This certificate is proof you're still alive and qualify for the pension payment.
They told me they will enable my pension payment for this month, so I can at least get by, and they will send and also email the certificate to me to print and return to them by snail mail. They will not accept it returned electronically. I bet you're in the same boat as me, and didn't receive this certificate in order to sign and return ! Their telephone number is: +44 191 218 7777 and I was in the queue about 20 minutes before being answered.
Old Aug 1st 2022, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

I filled out a "proof of life" certificate for HMRC a couple of years back, had to get it notorized before returning, so it will cost you, think it cost me under $100 including registered mail for the return postage.
Old Aug 2nd 2022, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

Niloc has a spectacular aura aboutNiloc has a spectacular aura aboutNiloc has a spectacular aura about

Same here! My wife and I have always received our State Pensions deposited on the same day. Mine arrived as expected on July 21st, but nothing for my wife. I had suspected the Life Certificate might be the reason and it's quite a long time since we received ours to complete and mail in. (both were sent in on the same date in one envelope) I gave it a week to see if my wife's would arrive and emailed The International Pension Centre on July 29th.
Old Aug 2nd 2022, 2:55 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Mine's in, so im officially alive. Damn exchange rate is robbing me blind
Old Aug 2nd 2022, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

Phoned HMRC, they said they sent me the forms in March, (i did not and have not received them). They have reactivated my account and said they would email me the forms, i received the email and guess what the forms were not attached, just a blank page, so another call another 30mins on hold finally got another email with the forms correctly attached. so will get them into the post tomorrow. The second lady i spoke to said not to worry as this sort of thing is common place, she also said that because of all the problems they have been having HMRC has extended the length of time in which the forms have to be returned from 8 weeks to 16 weeks. I will return the forms registered mail so i can track it, $20 well spent in my opinion, if only for my piece of mind. She also said i should receive this months pension in 3-4 days, but i will believe that when i see it.
Old Aug 2nd 2022, 6:13 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Mine's in, so im officially alive. Damn exchange rate is robbing me blind
Ah ha!
What rate did it arrive at?
(Transfer)Wise is doing $1.56 to the £ right now.
If I transfer £500, the fee is £2.40 so I get £497.60 @ $1.56 = $779.58 (same rate as quoted on XE.com but the real figure received from £500 is $775 as the 'real rate' is $1.55)

I asked the Civil Service Pension admin people what rate they get and all they would say was "favourable" and I thought favourable for a bank, perhaps.
$743 from Nat West. What a waste of $36.

Last edited by BristolUK; Aug 2nd 2022 at 6:18 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2022, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Scruffydog99 is an unknown quantity at this point

The same has happened to me . No July pension due the 21st. No proof of life letter received as to-date ether. I'll have to try contacting them. The phone number posted to contact them, is it toll free? Thank you.

As to getting proof of life notirized. You can take it to service Canada or local police station and have it done free of charge. Sending registered mail I think is an excellent idea.
Old Aug 2nd 2022, 6:41 pm
Account Closed

The phone number for the International Pension Centre +44 191 218 7777 is NOT toll free. they are open 8am to 6pm UK time. My time on hold for the two calls to them this week was aprox 30mins both times . I phoned bang on 8am uk time (midnight my time).
Old Aug 2nd 2022, 6:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

What does the overseas branch think happened in Canada that might have offed Brit pensioners in Canada?
Old Aug 2nd 2022, 11:35 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Ah ha!
What rate did it arrive at?
(Transfer)Wise is doing $1.56 to the £ right now.
If I transfer £500, the fee is £2.40 so I get £497.60 @ $1.56 = $779.58 (same rate as quoted on XE.com but the real figure received from £500 is $775 as the 'real rate' is $1.55)

I asked the Civil Service Pension admin people what rate they get and all they would say was "favourable" and I thought favourable for a bank, perhaps.
$743 from Nat West. What a waste of $36.
I just get a bank transfer so don't know the actual rate currently 899, was 990 in January, NHS Pension has gone down by 135. Of course they were more pre Brexit too

Old Aug 3rd 2022, 11:29 am
Just Joined

Scruffydog99 is an unknown quantity at this point

The phone number for the International Pension Centre +44 191 218 7777 is NOT toll free. they are open 8am to 6pm UK time. My time on hold for the two calls to them this week was aprox 30mins both times . I phoned bang on 8am uk time (midnight my time).
Thank you very much for input. I had canceled my long distance provider as I no longer have living relatives in UK . But friend told me to dial 10.10.100 then number as this is a very cheap on demand provider for long distance calls. A while on hold but not bad. Indeed they said it was due to proof of life form. One Sent January and another beginning of July, I received nether. They re-sent me it via email I made sure it had the attachment before getting of phone. I'll be sending it back to them registered mail. Pension was also reinstated.
Old Aug 3rd 2022, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scruffydog99
Thank you very much for input. I had canceled my long distance provider as I no longer have living relatives in UK . But friend told me to dial 10.10.100 then number as this is a very cheap on demand provider for long distance calls. A while on hold but not bad. Indeed they said it was due to proof of life form. One Sent January and another beginning of July, I received nether. They re-sent me it via email I made sure it had the attachment before getting of phone. I'll be sending it back to them registered mail. Pension was also reinstated.
Don't forget to get it notarized before returning it... you have to sign it in front of the notary official so he can confirm you really are you, and you're alive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.