Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK rental property while living in Canada

UK rental property while living in Canada

Old Mar 14th 2011, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK rental property while living in Canada

Originally Posted by britsnake
It is not so easy if that person is living in Quebec as the Reciprocal Enforcement of Judgments Act (the law that allows the transfer of a UK judgement) does not apply here.
It can be done though
Old Mar 14th 2011, 10:17 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, fraud seems to be the way the world works now-a-days.

You will need a friendly tenant to do this. One that won't screw you over by telling the bank what you are doing when you neglect a repair or two, or try to keep some of their deposit.

You certainly wouldn't want me as a tenant - I'd threaten to grass you up as soon as you tried to increase the rent. In fact if I found out you were doing this after I moved in I'd be negotiating a rent decrease.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 10:25 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Ah, fraud seems to be the way the world works now-a-days.

You will need a friendly tenant to do this. One that won't screw you over by telling the bank what you are doing when you neglect a repair or two, or try to keep some of their deposit.

You certainly wouldn't want me as a tenant - I'd threaten to grass you up as soon as you tried to increase the rent. In fact if I found out you were doing this after I moved in I'd be negotiating a rent decrease.
Well, they'd get 2 years with UK mail redirect so the tenant wouldn't have a clue about their mortgage status. After that they might have a risk - depends upon how often their mortgage lender writes to them I suppose.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 10:35 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Well, they'd get 2 years with UK mail redirect so the tenant wouldn't have a clue about their mortgage status. After that they might have a risk - depends upon how often their mortgage lender writes to them I suppose.
True. Though mail redirect isn't 100% guaranteed; they make frequent mistakes in my experience.

There are other risks you need to consider as well. For instance, you'd better hope your tenant doesn't accidentally burn down or flood the house. I doubt very much your insurance policy would be valid if they do this.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 11:12 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
True. Though mail redirect isn't 100% guaranteed; they make frequent mistakes in my experience.

There are other risks you need to consider as well. For instance, you'd better hope your tenant doesn't accidentally burn down or flood the house. I doubt very much your insurance policy would be valid if they do this.
Absolutely, the insurance is essential - they HAVE to get additional landlords insurance (probably from a different provider if the existing insurance is through the lender) - this covers both them and the mortgage lender, otherwise you really are taking a huge risk.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 3:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
It doesn't matter why they charge a higher rate. That forms the offer and acceptance part of the contract. You either accept it, or you don't. Most lenders' terms of the mortgage state that you cannot use the property as a rental property during the time that it is charged with the mortgage. Doing so puts you in breach of the terms of the contract with the result that the lender may be able to seek repayment of the mortgage in full, immediately.

A nightmare scenario if they do
Wouldn't that simply mean a forced sale of the property?
Old Mar 15th 2011, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Wouldn't that simply mean a forced sale of the property?
That would depend upon whether the mortgagor was able to obtain a replacement mortgage.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 5:02 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

For info we have considered renting out our house in Derbyshire for a couple of years while we settle in NS (depressed housing sales market in UK and current exchange rates being the main driving force for this.....I know they may never change).......

...I read this thread with interest and then concern considering it appeared lenders were tightening up on allowing owners to let out by making it more expensive.....

..today I have therefore contacted my lender RBS (Offset) who have told me they would allow me to let out for 12-24 months with no change to interest rates but would charge me a £100 fee for the issuance of a 'Consent to Let Guidelines letter'..... so it seems there is a massive range of views from lenders on this topic.