Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK Qualifications - Meaningless in Canada

Wikiposts

UK Qualifications - Meaningless in Canada

Old Feb 22nd 2011, 2:05 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Qualifications - Meaningless in Canada

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I'd say that the Canadian definition of recognised qualifications is that they recognise you have qualifications, but want you to get the Canadian ones!!!!!
So true

I would say to your wife, go for it, if Canada doesn't work out for whatever reason then she still has the quals to fall back on.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 4:01 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcnotrust
Anyway, my question is, my wife is looking at doing a diploma this year as her employer has offered to pay for half of it (they don't know we are planning on leaving) - However, i'm just wondering if it will be worth the investment of her time and money.

It is an ICS Diploma in Business Management, she already has a lot of Business quals, but her boss is lining her up for a new role.
Originally Posted by marcnotrust
If it helps any, the Exam body is, Chartered Institute of Personnel & Development (CIPD). On the site it says recognised worldwide so should be ok.
What do you expect them to say?

IMO it won't do any harm, but probably not a lot of good either. Most employers will not have heard of it. She will need to think of a snappy line for her resume to tell employers what it is.

Does she have an undergraduate degree? If not then this is the priority. It will do much, much more for her career. If she has a first degree then can she opt for a masters program instead of the diploma? Generally speaking academic qualifications are recognized, vocational ones much less so.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

dannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to all

Although my qualifications didnt really mean too much here, my HR department asked for copies of my diplomas and researched into what they were roughly the equivalent of, and i promptly got a pay raise