UK Qualifications - Meaningless in Canada

Wikiposts

UK Qualifications - Meaningless in Canada

Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

marcnotrust is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Qualifications - Meaningless in Canada

Hi all,

Im relatively new to this forum, But have been reading up on emigrating for some time now. Me and my wife a planning on emigrating to Canada and have a few trips booked to Vancouver and Toronto this year, and Montreal next year. We are going to be heading down the skilled worker route, Hopefully on the back off an employment offer for myself.

Anyway, my question is, my wife is looking at doing a diploma this year as her employer has offered to pay for half of it (they don't know we are planning on leaving) - However, i'm just wondering if it will be worth the investment of her time and money.

It is an ICS Diploma in Business Management, she already has a lot of Business quals, but her boss is lining her up for a new role.

Now, this will be good for her for the next few years whilst we are still here, but just wondering if the qualification will have any meaning to Canadian employers at all. If it helps, she has over 5 years exp in her role. And by the time we leave, shes going to have at least 7 or 8 years experience.

Cheers,
Marc
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: UK Qualifications - Meaningless in Canada

If it helps any, the Exam body is, Chartered Institute of Personnel & Development (CIPD). On the site it says recognised worldwide so should be ok.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

canadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by marcnotrust
Hi all,

Im relatively new to this forum, But have been reading up on emigrating for some time now. Me and my wife a planning on emigrating to Canada and have a few trips booked to Vancouver and Toronto this year, and Montreal next year. We are going to be heading down the skilled worker route, Hopefully on the back off an employment offer for myself.

Anyway, my question is, my wife is looking at doing a diploma this year as her employer has offered to pay for half of it (they don't know we are planning on leaving) - However, i'm just wondering if it will be worth the investment of her time and money.

It is an ICS Diploma in Business Management, she already has a lot of Business quals, but her boss is lining her up for a new role.

Now, this will be good for her for the next few years whilst we are still here, but just wondering if the qualification will have any meaning to Canadian employers at all. If it helps, she has over 5 years exp in her role. And by the time we leave, shes going to have at least 7 or 8 years experience.

Cheers,
Marc
Most business qualifications are recognised in Canada. I have an Professional Certification in Management which is recognised. But the fact I am working toward a MBA carries more weight.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Excellent, Thanks for the reply.

Can I ask, where you working towards your masters when you applied for your skilled worker visa, or did you have employment line up. Thanks.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

canadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to all

Excellent, Thanks for the reply.

Can I ask, where you working towards your masters when you applied for your skilled worker visa, or did you have employment line up. Thanks.
Got our visas on the old system and at that point only had a BSC.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Fair enough. Thanks.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

edmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all,

Might also be worth checking if the employer wants his money back if you're leaving shortly after he contributed to the diploma?
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by edmontron
Might also be worth checking if the employer wants his money back if you're leaving shortly after he contributed to the diploma?

Shes checked, Theres no retainer. Plus, I can see it being a good 3 years or so before we make them move anyway. But, good point to raise. Thanks.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:40 pm
Account Closed

billybones is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Cheers,
Marc
I found that although my qualifications were recognized by immigration for my skilled worker visa, once I arrived in Canada they were not (plumber) very frustrating!
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:46 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billybones
I found that although my qualifications were recognized by immigration for my skilled worker visa, once I arrived in Canada they were not (plumber) very frustrating!
I'd say that the Canadian definition of recognised qualifications is that they recognise you have qualifications, but want you to get the Canadian ones!!!!!
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I'd say that the Canadian definition of recognised qualifications is that they recognise you have qualifications, but want you to get the Canadian ones!!!!!
Quite true but Imagine how long it would take to learn all of the Canadian plumbing code which varies significantly from the UK regs so still very frustrating in fact I have changed careers because of this!
Old Feb 21st 2011, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Quite true but Imagine how long it would take to learn all of the Canadian plumbing code which varies significantly from the UK regs so still very frustrating in fact I have changed careers because of this!
Its a nightmare mate isn't it!
Old Feb 21st 2011, 7:51 pm
Account Closed

Its a nightmare mate isn't it!
yes, but dont let it put you off too much,I believe the Canadian government is starting a scheme to help get overseas qualifications recognized.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

yes, but dont let it put you off too much,I believe the Canadian government is starting a scheme to help get overseas qualifications recognized.
I think there are a few places where you can get your English quals assessed and get advised on what they are equivalent to in Canada. I know there are companies that do it for the US, so dont see why there wont be some out there for Canada.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Check this out too - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Equiva...Qualifications

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.