Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK property TAX TIME!!

UK property TAX TIME!!

Old Apr 28th 2014, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

sgbolt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK property TAX TIME!!

Hi there, i have a property which i rent in the UK so i know i have to pay tax on the income here in Canada, but i have been advised differently this year. Last year I was told i could offset my flights to the UK against my income, but this year I have been advised that i can't. It obviously makes a huge difference to my income. any advise and tips of reducing my tax bill. Ta
Old Apr 28th 2014, 2:01 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK property TAX TIME!!

Originally Posted by sgbolt
Hi there, i have a property which i rent in the UK so i know i have to pay tax on the income here in Canada, but i have been advised differently this year. Last year I was told i could offset my flights to the UK against my income, but this year I have been advised that i can't. It obviously makes a huge difference to my income. any advise and tips of reducing my tax bill. Ta
Unless you could come up with some compelling reason why you needed to fly to the UK to deal with your property, CRA would be unlikely to allow the cost of flights. If you flew in for a day or two or spent your time there renovating the property etc, a 2 week trip to the UK is unlikely to qualify as a business expense.

If you claimed your flights last year, and have now found you should not have, you should ask an accountant if you need to file an adjustment for last year as well. If CRA audit and pick up on it, there could be penalties as well as tax and interest.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you so much for your helpful reply. It's so confusing (but i guess it's designed to be). Could I be cheeky and ask another related question? Do you have any understanding of how the UK personal allowance works for Canadian residents (from UK). Basically is there the option to pay taxes for the rental income in the UK OR here and if so does it make any difference in what I pay - is one better financially or not? Thanks
Old Apr 28th 2014, 3:02 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for your helpful reply. It's so confusing (but i guess it's designed to be). Could I be cheeky and ask another related question? Do you have any understanding of how the UK personal allowance works for Canadian residents (from UK). Basically is there the option to pay taxes for the rental income in the UK OR here and if so does it make any difference in what I pay - is one better financially or not? Thanks
You have no choice where you pay tax. The only bearing on tax is where you are living, not citizenship or country of origin as far as tax residency is concerned. If a tax treaty exists, you only pay tax once, if it does not, you pay twice. Canada and the UK have a tax treaty.

If you are a tax resident of Canada, you are obligated to report income and pay tax in Canada. If you paid tax in the UK and have this documented from HRMC, you can claim for foreign tax paid in Canada. You then pay the difference here, if there is any.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
If you are a tax resident of Canada, you are obligated to report income and pay tax in Canada. If you paid tax in the UK and have this documented from HRMC, you can claim for foreign tax paid in Canada. You then pay the difference here, if there is any.
+1.

There's some info & links on the MBTTUK section here. Unfortunately, search function being a bit FUBARed at the moment, I can't point you to the exact post.

I recently started researching the issue, & HMRC has a whole section on non-resident landlords, which, if one can overcome the frustration of some rather circular links, is useful.

The claiming flight expenses was a complete mare's nest years ago when I tried to deal with it for my ex. IIRC, & my memories are vague, plus the rules have probably changed, they were admissible under certain conditions, in the context of certain business structures. I personally wouldn't try & claim 'em on the limited info you have provided concerning managing an overseas rental property.

S
Old Apr 28th 2014, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again to the helpful replies. Any other tips on lowering my capital gains much appreciated.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

sorry what is MBTTUK?
Old Apr 28th 2014, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

sorry what is MBTTUK?
Moving Back to the UK Forum here on B(ritish) E(xpats).com

S
Old Apr 28th 2014, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks again to the helpful replies. Any other tips on lowering my capital gains much appreciated.
?? Capital gains? Or rental income?

??

S
Old Apr 28th 2014, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

yes sorry income.
I still can't find the MBUK section. Is it under articles?? I'm lost!
Old Apr 28th 2014, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

yes sorry income.
I still can't find the MBUK section. Is it under articles?? I'm lost!
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61

I'll try & find the posts/links I referred to above when I get home & can operate on something other than a "smart" device !
S
Old Apr 28th 2014, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks a lot shirtback - much appreciated
Old Apr 28th 2014, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

You're welcome

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=822394&page=3

Post #31 & onwards contains possibly relevant info.

S
Old Apr 28th 2014, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

thanks I shall have a read.