Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK Police Officer with PR Looking for Jobs

UK Police Officer with PR Looking for Jobs

Old Jul 21st 2018, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

AdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Police Officer with PR Looking for Jobs

Originally Posted by Warwickbowman

Saskatoon is a really up and coming city, here are the details for their recruiting standards Recruitment Standards
Thanks for the hyperlink, having a read up on it now.
Old Jul 21st 2018, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

jocker01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
This is very informative topic, thank you.
I'm currently serving PC in Thames Valley and used to work in The MET.
I'm in the process of getting my PR, awaiting AOR, which should arrive within days

So far no much luck with finding police force which would accept UK officers, but I'm not loosing my hope
Regards
Jocker01
Old Jul 21st 2018, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

AdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jocker01
Hello,
This is very informative topic, thank you.
I'm currently serving PC in Thames Valley and used to work in The MET.
I'm in the process of getting my PR, awaiting AOR, which should arrive within days

So far no much luck with finding police force which would accept UK officers, but I'm not loosing my hope
Regards
Jocker01
Hi Jocker01,
Nice to see that I'm not the only one looking to move!

Have you spent any time in Canada previously?
Any idea of where you would like to go?

I'm very thankful for all those who have inputted their thoughts, suggestions and experiences so far. I'm sure that we are not the only ones looking for imminent departure from UK as police officers. Hopefully this thread can serve to those who are currently in that position.

Would you look to move out there without having a role to go to or are you hoping to apply from the UK and go from there?

I have seen some civilian roles that appeal to me. Peace officer roles are very appealing but many seem to be recruited by the local towns / municipals and require completion of the relevant qualifications / training, i.e. would suit a lateral transfer / individuals moving away from other Canadian law enforcement roles.

Anyways, best of luck with your application
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AdamfromWales
Hi Jocker01,
Nice to see that I'm not the only one looking to move!

Have you spent any time in Canada previously?
Any idea of where you would like to go?

I'm very thankful for all those who have inputted their thoughts, suggestions and experiences so far. I'm sure that we are not the only ones looking for imminent departure from UK as police officers. Hopefully this thread can serve to those who are currently in that position.

Would you look to move out there without having a role to go to or are you hoping to apply from the UK and go from there?

I have seen some civilian roles that appeal to me. Peace officer roles are very appealing but many seem to be recruited by the local towns / municipals and require completion of the relevant qualifications / training, i.e. would suit a lateral transfer / individuals moving away from other Canadian law enforcement roles.

Anyways, best of luck with your application
Hello AdamfromWales.
I was in CA last year, for 2 weeks for so called EV (Exploratory Visit), in order to start my immigration process.
I been nominated by Manitoba and ideally would like to go there but to be perfectly honest I will head whenever I will be able to get job, ideally in the police, as soon as you ‘in’ it would be much easier to move within CA, Saskatoon Police is not dismissing ‘out-of-Canada’ applicants so looks like it might be got way to start… I found a list of CA law enforcements and will be going through the list when I will get closer to my PR, (can't post link as yet)

I wouldn't mind to move, even without any job, but will make it easier to start, especially with the family (2+2).
I still got at least a year before I will get my PR as I'm going through old paper based application process.

I spoke with Constable Mark Smith from Calgary Police Service, who got lucky and transferred back in 2008 from UK police; it was the last time when CA did recruit in UK. He said that he never regraded his decision and he never looked back...I contacted CPS but they requirement is to be in CA for at least 3 years prior the application, Winnipeg police is not recruiting at this moment, there are some smaller towns with own police service but it might be even harder to join with them as they only have handful of officers. Kind regards
Jocker01

Last edited by jocker01; Jul 22nd 2018 at 9:56 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 6:28 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello AdamfromWales.
I was in CA last year, for 2 weeks for so called EV (Exploratory Visit), in order to start my immigration process.
I been nominated by Manitoba and ideally would like to go there but to be perfectly honest I will head whenever I will be able to get job, ideally in the police, as soon as you ‘in’ it would be much easier to move within CA, Saskatoon Police is not dismissing ‘out-of-Canada’ applicants so looks like it might be got way to start… I found a list of CA law enforcements and will be going through the list when I will get closer to my PR, (can't post link as yet)

I wouldn't mind to move, even without any job, but will make it easier to start, especially with the family (2+2).
I still got at least a year before I will get my PR as I'm going through old paper based application process.

I spoke with Constable Mark Smith from Calgary Police Service, who got lucky and transferred back in 2008 from UK police; it was the last time when CA did recruit in UK. He said that he never regraded his decision and he never looked back...I contacted CPS but they requirement is to be in CA for at least 3 years prior the application, Winnipeg police is not recruiting at this moment, there are some smaller towns with own police service but it might be even harder to join with them as they only have handful of officers. Kind regards
Jocker01
Hello and welcome to BE!

Some useful info there, so thanks for taking the time to post

Do be aware though, that if you gain PR through Nomination from Manitoba (or another Province) the expectation is that you intend to reside and work there for several years. If they suspect that you don't intend to - or that you plan to move elsewhere as soon as you have PR, they can (and have in the past) withdraw their Nomination. Once you have been there for a few years, you are of course well within your rights to relocate to another Province to find employment or similar.. just not straight away.

Here's a couple of links that might be of use

All the police forces - links under each Province https://cija.ca/services/national-co...ice-directory/
Our Police Forum https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 22nd 2018 at 6:30 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Linotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond repute

Lethbridge is hiring for a cadet class with a closing date in September:

https://www.lethbridgepolice.ca/recr...tember-14-2018
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Hello and welcome to BE!

Some useful info there, so thanks for taking the time to post

Do be aware though, that if you gain PR through Nomination from Manitoba (or another Province) the expectation is that you intend to reside and work there for several years. If they suspect that you don't intend to - or that you plan to move elsewhere as soon as you have PR, they can (and have in the past) withdraw their Nomination. Once you have been there for a few years, you are of course well within your rights to relocate to another Province to find employment or similar.. just not straight away.

Thanks for a warning
I heard mixed opinion about it, my plan is go head to Manitoba, hopefully I will be able to find police employer but if I fail that, then I will look for driving jobs, I have previous bus and lorry experience.
I will keep eye for police recruitment but don't want to 'jump' to far ahead as current CIC processing time is shown as 19 months I might miss on my plan to move next summer...
Regards
Jocker01
Old Jul 25th 2018, 11:14 am
Just Joined

I decided to find an employer who will employ me as truck driver to start with, based on nomination I will apply for WP, and then apply for the police while I'm already in CA.
Please keep your fingers crossed for my job hunt in Manitoba
Regards
Jocker01
Old Jul 25th 2018, 3:09 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I decided to find an employer who will employ me as truck driver to start with, based on nomination I will apply for WP, and then apply for the police while I'm already in CA.
Please keep your fingers crossed for my job hunt in Manitoba
Regards
Jocker01

Sounds like a plan providing it won't change anything for your Provincial Nomination. Do read up on getting your Manitoba Class 1 license though...

https://www.mpi.mb.ca/en/DL/DL/pages...uirements.aspx

You might find our trucking sub-forum helpful - https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/

Manitoba appears to be needing truckers, from what I've read.
Old Jul 25th 2018, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

allycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond repute

Another option you could look at, is Commercial Vehicle Enforcement? Every province has their own service. Here is a link for Alberta so you can have an idea what they do. https://www.solgps.alberta.ca/progra...forcement.aspx
Old Jul 25th 2018, 8:14 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by allycat231
Another option you could look at, is Commercial Vehicle Enforcement? Every province has their own service. Here is a link for Alberta so you can have an idea what they do. https://www.solgps.alberta.ca/progra...forcement.aspx
and here's an old job posting for Manitoba - might be useful to see what the requirements are.
https://jobsearch.gov.mb.ca/jow/adva...eNum=5&ID=4241
Old Jul 30th 2018, 4:37 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

If looking at Calgary in particular then maybe check out the City of Calgary careers website. They advertise 'civilian' jobs with the police on there e.g. fingerprint technician, FOIP, training, admin roles, HR roles, etc. I think the bylaw jobs are advertised there too - both for municipal bylaw officers and transit peace officers. They also have their own internal security group and a corporate security type department as well.

At a provincial level have a look at Government of Alberta jobs too - they have the 'fish police' (not quite sure what the proper title is) but they are i think peace officer /park ranger type roles as well.

Bear in mind that both of the above are usually union positions, so basically they will look at internal people before external applicants but you never know...
Old Jul 30th 2018, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
If looking at Calgary in particular then maybe check out the City of Calgary careers website. They advertise 'civilian' jobs with the police on there e.g. fingerprint technician, FOIP, training, admin roles, HR roles, etc. I think the bylaw jobs are advertised there too - both for municipal bylaw officers and transit peace officers. They also have their own internal security group and a corporate security type department as well.

At a provincial level have a look at Government of Alberta jobs too - they have the 'fish police' (not quite sure what the proper title is) but they are i think peace officer /park ranger type roles as well.

Bear in mind that both of the above are usually union positions, so basically they will look at internal people before external applicants but you never know...
Thank you. Yep, a way in would be great, once in then hopefully it would open up other opportunities which would make use of UK experience.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 1:44 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
At a provincial level have a look at Government of Alberta jobs too - they have the 'fish police'
You just gotta watch those Alberta fish, cannot be trusted, they'll take the shirt off your back!
Old Jul 30th 2018, 9:16 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Peterborough Ontario police are hiring.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.