Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK Plumber > Canada Plumber?

UK Plumber > Canada Plumber?

Old Jan 14th 2012, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

fraser2312 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Plumber > Canada Plumber?

Hi guys, I started this thread in Working Abroad by Profession forum but they don't seem to as get many visitors over there, so i thought i'll stick it in here aswell!

My question was; What is involved in becoming a plumber in Canada? What trade test (or similar) would i need to sit? Whats the average salary? Is there a part of Canada where plumbers a required more than others?

If someone is able to answer my questions or point me in the right direction that would be great
Old Jan 14th 2012, 7:49 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Plumber > Canada Plumber?

Originally Posted by fraser2312
Hi guys, I started this thread in Working Abroad by Profession forum but they don't seem to as get many visitors over there, so i thought i'll stick it in here aswell!

My question was; What is involved in becoming a plumber in Canada? What trade test (or similar) would i need to sit? Whats the average salary? Is there a part of Canada where plumbers a required more than others?

If someone is able to answer my questions or point me in the right direction that would be great
http://www.red-seal.ca/[email protected]?tid=181
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Canada
Old Jan 14th 2012, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

hutchy100 will become famous soon enough

Are you a plumber now? how many years have you been doing it? are you qulified plumber? What area of Canada are you looking at?, Are you wanting to do gas work
Old Jan 14th 2012, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hutchy100
Are you a plumber now? how many years have you been doing it? are you qulified plumber? What area of Canada are you looking at?, Are you wanting to do gas work
Hi hutchi

Sorry should have said; yes i'm a qualified plumber and have been so for the past 18 months, i was looking in and around Toronto area but haven't 100% decided on that yet, I don't really have much experience with gas work here in Scotand however i would be intested in doing so in Canada if possible.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the link
Old Jan 14th 2012, 11:54 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Hi hutchi

Sorry should have said; yes i'm a qualified plumber and have been so for the past 18 months, i was looking in and around Toronto area but haven't 100% decided on that yet, I don't really have much experience with gas work here in Scotand however i would be intested in doing so in Canada if possible.
You would need to prove your qualifications and have 9000 hours work experience that can be verified to challenge the exam and get certified in Canada. If you don't have this you would need to re qualify or wait until you have 9000 hours then move over.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

....or move into a province where plumbing is not regulated and start working ...once all the other immigration issues like visa and such are sorted out.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

hutchy100 will become famous soon enough

Hi hutchi

Ok in BC I got told I could challenge the plumbers exam I have been doing gas work for 10 years even though I dont have any plumbing tickets, I work doing servicing works in the commercial area, I think it's called ita you could call and ask them more about it
Old Jan 15th 2012, 10:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hutchy100
Ok in BC I got told I could challenge the plumbers exam I have been doing gas work for 10 years even though I dont have any plumbing tickets, I work doing servicing works in the commercial area, I think it's called ita you could call and ask them more about it
Thanks hutchy will look into that.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Aviator
You would need to prove your qualifications and have 9000 hours work experience that can be verified to challenge the exam and get certified in Canada. If you don't have this you would need to re qualify or wait until you have 9000 hours then move over.
Will this be 9000 hours as a qualified plumber?
Old Jan 15th 2012, 4:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

There is some useful information in this pdf about which Provinces require Red Seal certification. www.mcac.ca/portals/0/plumber.pdf

For a list of Provincial 'skills' websites see here: http://www.competencescanada.com/ind...d=42&Itemid=66

You can find average salaries etc here :http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/can...eyword=plumber

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 15th 2012 at 4:50 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 5:10 pm

Will this be 9000 hours as a qualified plumber?
Includes training time. They don't take your word for it though. You have to be able to prove it. Sometimes, if a business is gone or your were self employed a self declaration is accepted.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Aviator
Includes training time. They don't take your word for it though. You have to be able to prove it. Sometimes, if a business is gone or your were self employed a self declaration is accepted.
Ah thanks, I'm well over the hours then if training time is included shouldn't have a problem proving it either.

Thanks
Old Jan 15th 2012, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by siouxie
There is some useful information in this pdf about which Provinces require Red Seal certification. www.mcac.ca/portals/0/plumber.pdf

For a list of Provincial 'skills' websites see here: http://www.competencescanada.com/ind...d=42&Itemid=66

You can find average salaries etc here :http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/can...eyword=plumber

Thanks for the links
Old Jan 15th 2012, 6:33 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the links
You are most welcome

I also found this website which gives job prospects for each Province.

http://www.careersinconstruction.ca/lmi/52

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.