Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK Pension Transfer to Canada

UK Pension Transfer to Canada

Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Pension Transfer to Canada

Based on the information provided, I concur that when a final salary scheme is in payment, then it is unlikely to be transferable but it is worth double checking with the NHS Pension division.

With regards to exchange rates, have a chat to a currency exchange company and ask what they can do for your situation. I know of expats that have locked in an exchange rate for 12 months to provide a fixed currency rate for that time, then afer 12 months the rate is reviewed. Of course the danger with this is that if the currency improves, then you are locked into a lesser exchange rate - or it could work in your favour.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

nordyandsharpey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mjwalker007
The receiving scheme in Canada is obliged to report any withdrawls within this 5 year period to the HMRC, therefore that is how they would know and where to contact you. In order to get QROPS qualification from the HMRC there are certain rules that the Canadian schemes have to follow, with this being one of those rules.

The reason the HMRC care is that they do not want people to abuse the pension system and be able to do something they they would not normally be able to do with a U.K pension if they were still in the U.K. QROPS is available all over the world so they do not want people to transfer a pension to a jurisdiction that would allow them to cash it in , then return back to the U.K, so therefore flouting the current U.K pension rules. Although they deem that if you have been left the U.K for 5 years, the chances are you may not be coming back, so relaxing the unauthorized penalty rule.
Hi guys, just been reading all your posts and have found them very informative. Just out of interest how would HMRC know for definite when I became a non-resident. Is it based solely on the last day I paid any taxes or was I supposed to notify them before I left?
Old May 1st 2011, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

gemiran is an unknown quantity at this point

1) Does anyone have experience of transfering a UK personal pension plan to a TD Waterhouse RRSP? I notice they are not on the HMRC QROPS list.
2) This thread has many comments of transfers being made into regular RRSPs. Clearly this is a fact since people have done the transfer - but how did HMRC approve such a scheme when it is not locked in? Its almost as if the Canadian institution has provided guarantees to HMRC that in fact are not the case. Just interested in people's comments on this.

Thanks