Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK Passport application from Canada

UK Passport application from Canada

Old May 24th 2014, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

movingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nice
Default UK Passport application from Canada

Has anyone recently applied for a UK passport or renewed one. I just noticed on the UK passport website they have changed the timeline to 10 weeks now. I applied in April, before they changed that, it was 6 to 8 weeks when I applied. I am moving back to the UK in the middle of June so panicking a bit right now as I'm not sure I will have them back in time. I have call 3 times to inquire and each time they say someone will call me back within 72 hours! Clearly that is not the case as I'm still waiting 100's of hours later lol

I was told by them originally to send them my Canadian passport as it would be quicker, so I'm hoping that's the case, but if it isn't that means I don't even have my Canadian one to use. I remember that being a concern but they assured me I have to send it to them. I have been trying to speak to someone (hence the 72 hour phone call as I've been prioritized!..clearly not) to find out if they can send it back to me if they have finished the security check on it. Has anyone got any advice, thanks for listening, I realize it's quite the lengthy post.
Old May 24th 2014, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Passport application from Canada

Blame Harper and the Govt employees who work at the passport office.
Ooops wrong country Blame Cameron et al.
I guess this article will be of no comfort to you
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ents-time.html
A whistleblower said customers were left waiting on the phone for up to an hour because HM Passport Office had just eight staff to take more than 1,000 calls a day.
Unions said the agency was in crisis because job cuts and office closures had left it unable to handle the level of demand.
The Passport Office, part of the Home Office, has received around 300,000 more applications since January than in the same period last year. A spokesman for the agency blamed the surge on ‘the improving economy and a rise in holiday bookings’.
Old May 24th 2014, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

movingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nice

Thanks for your message, I had read that daily mail article yesterday and was horrified, sounds like a right mess the passport office is in doesn't it! I think also that since the price of the overseas passports went down in April many overseas applicants waited and then we all rushed together, (yes I'm guilty there) it went down significantly and as I was sending three applications it was a big saving, they should have known this would happen though and be adequately staffed anyway.

I'll just have to keep my fingers and toes crossed and hope mine will get done in time.
Old May 24th 2014, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

They had posted on their website a month or two prior to the price reduction, when it would be in effective, so I think that most people would have waited until then if they had a few applications to send in. I did call them too and asked them if I would have enough time if I waited and I was told I did (I am not so sure anymore in light of all this new info) I think the price reduction was 40 bills each application, so a good saving was had by me. I fear that I may now be paying the price for trying to be frugal though and it's going to end up costing me way more if I am not able to use the flights! Also, because we are moving back to the UK, there are so many more costly variables I'm not even allowing myself to think of at the moment, trying to stay positive, hoping it won't come to us not able to go on the day we've booked for.

I'm also hoping that as this new extended timeline became effective on May 7th and my application was sent prior to then, in April, that I may not be effected by the new change in dates, that it's only for applications received by them after May 7th? one can only hope this will be the case.
Old May 24th 2014, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't send your Canadian passport with the application. Just enclose a letter saying that you need the passport because you will travel soon. It's been well established on this forum that this is perfectly acceptable.

Use your Canadian passport to visit (not move to) the UK.

By the way, an expired British passport is perfectly acceptable to a UK border official. It probably won't get you on the plane (that's what your Canadian passport is for) but it will get you admitted to the UK as a citizen.
Old May 24th 2014, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

susieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant future

I applied for a child renewal in April and phoned today, as it was past the four-week mark (the original timescale). The call centre couldn't tell me a thing, but did say the timescale was now "at least six weeks" for child renewals. They must have only changed this on their website in the last couple of days, as I have been checking! I said they can't change the rules for applications already in the system, but she wasn't interested. I was also promised a callback (then told it would be an email, as they don't call overseas!) within 48 hours, but am not convinced I'll hear anything. I'm not sure what the purpose of the call centre is, as they can't even tell you whether your application has even been looked at. For all I know, it's just sitting in a pile! I asked if they'd contacted the countersignatory and she said I'd have to ask him! Surely they have notes in the system about these things?!

We're also travelling in mid-June, so stress levels are rising! Am writing to my former MP - not sure if that'll help, but it's making me feel better.

There's a big thread on the US forum about all this too http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=786998.
Old May 24th 2014, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

I got mine back yesterday having sent it on 10th April. Got mine back, only for OH to realise his is expired. Trip on 28th June not happening; was hoping to shoot for end July, maybe that's optomistic.

You can travel on emergency travel documents.
Old May 24th 2014, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

PS for renewals you can look up the status on line.

You need to visit a consulate in person for emergency travel dos and there's a 95GBP fee.
Old May 24th 2014, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

susieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gryphea

You need to visit a consulate in person for emergency travel dos and there's a 95GBP fee.
The online status always says "declaration received, processing". From what I've heard, it often doesn't change to printed/dispatched until you've actually received the passport! It would just be nice to know where you are in the queue e.g. "we're now dealing with applications received on such and such a date"!

Can you get back into Canada on an emergency travel doc? Keeping fingers crossed p'port arrives!
Old May 24th 2014, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

I got mine back yesterday having sent it on 10th April. Got mine back, only for OH to realise his is expired. Trip on 28th June not happening; was hoping to shoot for end July, maybe that's optomistic.

You can travel on emergency travel documents.
Thanks for your reply, I hope you get your OH sorted with one soon. I may have to resort for an emergency travel doc but that that cancels out your current passport application apparently and you have to reapply in the UK all over again. Not looking forward to that, especially as I've paid for the 3 of us already some $400 and change!
Old May 24th 2014, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again, the status stays the same online, other people on here, on another thread said that even after they had the new passport in hand it was still showing processing online! That's why I've been calling but still waiting for a call back.
Old May 24th 2014, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by susieh
The online status always says "declaration received, processing". From what I've heard, it often doesn't change to printed/dispatched until you've actually received the passport! It would just be nice to know where you are in the queue e.g. "we're now dealing with applications received on such and such a date"!

Can you get back into Canada on an emergency travel doc? Keeping fingers crossed p'port arrives!
Thanks for your message, my problem is that we are moving back to the Uk, so wont be coming back to Canada for a while. I'll have my Canadian one back by then I hope! lol like next year maybe

I really don't want to go the emergency travel doc route as that cancels out my original application and i'll have to start all over again. It's a right mess isn't it!
Old May 24th 2014, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by movingbacktotheuksoon
Thanks for your message, my problem is that we are moving back to the Uk, so wont be coming back to Canada for a while. I'll have my Canadian one back by then I hope! lol like next year maybe

I really don't want to go the emergency travel doc route as that cancels out my original application and i'll have to start all over again. It's a right mess isn't it!
Oh yes, sorry, I meant could my son get back into Canada on an emergency travel doc if I had to get one for him - I wasn't v clear! I know, it's a lot of money to lose if they cancel the existing p'port applications. Will keep my fingers crossed for you too!
Old May 24th 2014, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
Don't send your Canadian passport with the application. Just enclose a letter saying that you need the passport because you will travel soon. It's been well established on this forum that this is perfectly acceptable.

Use your Canadian passport to visit (not move to) the UK.

By the way, an expired British passport is perfectly acceptable to a UK border official. It probably won't get you on the plane (that's what your Canadian passport is for) but it will get you admitted to the UK as a citizen.
Thanks for your reply, I too thought that I didn't have to send it, but the forms requested it so that's when I called them and spoke to them in person, they said that I did have to! I'm sorry I did now of course.
Old May 24th 2014, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by susieh
I applied for a child renewal in April and phoned today, as it was past the four-week mark (the original timescale). The call centre couldn't tell me a thing, but did say the timescale was now "at least six weeks" for child renewals. They must have only changed this on their website in the last couple of days, as I have been checking! I said they can't change the rules for applications already in the system, but she wasn't interested. I was also promised a callback (then told it would be an email, as they don't call overseas!) within 48 hours, but am not convinced I'll hear anything. I'm not sure what the purpose of the call centre is, as they can't even tell you whether your application has even been looked at. For all I know, it's just sitting in a pile! I asked if they'd contacted the countersignatory and she said I'd have to ask him! Surely they have notes in the system about these things?!

We're also travelling in mid-June, so stress levels are rising! Am writing to my former MP - not sure if that'll help, but it's making me feel better.

There's a big thread on the US forum about all this too http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=786998.
I totally understand where you're coming from, they also told me it's waiting to be looked at, probably in the same pile as yours! I asked them if they can at least send my Canadian one back so we can travel and she said I will get a call back within 72 hours??? you were told they don't call overseas??? I'm getting really peed off now! They (he, another person I have spoken to) said they will email me also within 48 hrs, still not heard a thing any means of communication. And all this is after I have been told that I have now been prioritized as they failed to contact me twice within the time frame that they said they would. Love a duck, this is being prioritized?? hmmm...boggles the mind!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.