Reload this Page >

UK to Ontario driving licence

UK to Ontario driving licence

Old Oct 15th 2011, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

HSJones is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK to Ontario driving licence

Originally Posted by john1965
Quick question - can anyone tell me where in downtown Toronto I go to exchange my UK for Canadian license?
Services Canada @ College and Yonge. 777 Bay St.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 5:51 pm
Banned

expatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really nice

Originally Posted by TheCanary
Just remembered, when I give in my UK driving license, they will keep it. What do I do when I return to UK for holidays, I will definitely need to drive.
Do I have to apply for an International temporary license?
I don't know if this has already been answered, before you go, order another licence from swansea, put the new one in a special draw in case you return to UK, use the old one to exchange for your canadian licence.

The meercat says shimpel. That last quote might be lost on a few that have been away a while.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 8:17 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatdoris
I don't know if this has already been answered, before you go, order another licence from swansea, put the new one in a special draw in case you return to UK, use the old one to exchange for your canadian licence.
Why?
Old Oct 15th 2011, 8:22 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

As el_richo implies, this is pointless and of dubious legality. Just keep a record of your number and the DVLA will re-issue your UK licence if you go back.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 8:40 pm
Banned

expatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really nice

Originally Posted by el_richo
Why?
Because you might have Class C+E (HGV 1) or Motorcycle or track veh, you can keep the entitlement and perhaps use it in another country that you visit. As I understand it, you cant get these licences transferred to your new canadian licence. I could be wrong....
Old Oct 15th 2011, 8:43 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Because you might have Class C+E (HGV 1) or Motorcycle or track veh, you can keep the entitlement and perhaps use it in another country that you visit. As I understand it, you cant get these licences transferred to your new canadian licence. I could be wrong....
My motorbike was transferred. I imagine not many people choose to hire a HGV when on holiday though.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 8:46 pm
Banned

My motorbike was transferred. I imagine not many people choose to hire a HGV when on holiday though.
Oh yes, witha HGV licence and 40+ if you do not renew it every 5 years you loose it, can't do that without a licence. When do i get 3 stars? 100 posts?

Last edited by expatdoris; Oct 15th 2011 at 8:52 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 10:22 pm
Beep

Oh yes, witha HGV licence and 40+ if you do not renew it every 5 years you loose it, can't do that without a licence. When do i get 3 stars? 100 posts?
Why would you want to renew a UK HGV licence when living in Canada?

And i thought it was illegal to have false information on a UK licence?
Old Oct 16th 2011, 11:38 am
Banned

Why would you want to renew a UK HGV licence when living in Canada?

And i thought it was illegal to have false information on a UK licence?
Because we might return. If you make a living from using it, one might need it if we return.

I do not understand your second point, what false information? Do you look like your avatar?
Old Oct 16th 2011, 3:14 pm
Beep

I do not understand your second point, what false information? Do you look like your avatar?
Because it's illegal to have a UK Licence when not a resident, and also illegal to have false address details on it.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022088
Old Oct 16th 2011, 3:37 pm
Banned

Because it's illegal to have a UK Licence when not a resident, and also illegal to have false address details on it.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022088
I see the point you have, but, Is it against the law to keep a property in the UK when you move to another? No, I am sure it is not.

PR can take years to obtain, are you suggesting that one should be reckless when going along this process, what is more, residence is a issue depending on who is asking, the tax man, immigration man, plenty of others.... I will do what is necessary to facilitate our smooth return if it is required.

I will keep all my licences valid by registering the licence to a UK address.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 3:53 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I see the point you have, but, Is it against the law to keep a property in the UK when you move to another? No, I am sure it is not.

PR can take years to obtain, are you suggesting that one should be reckless when going along this process, what is more, residence is a issue depending on who is asking, the tax man, immigration man, plenty of others.... I will do what is necessary to facilitate our smooth return if it is required.

Sure, whatever, there's always a good excuse about why you need to keep it. It's still fraud though - you will either be lying to the DVLA by saying you 'lost' your licence after you've willingly surrendered it, or you will be surrendering a licence that you know to be invalid.

If you want to legally keep your UK licence, then become a new driver and do the test in Canada.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 4:00 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Sure, whatever, there's always a good excuse about why you need to keep it. It's still fraud though - you will either be lying to the DVLA by saying you 'lost' your licence after you've willingly surrendered it, or you will be surrendering a licence that you know to be invalid.

If you want to legally keep your UK licence, then become a new driver and do the test in Canada.
Quite right, that is what i will do. Anyone reading these posts, do not apply for a duplicate licence, no point and you would be lying to DVLA. See ya!
Old Oct 16th 2011, 4:51 pm
Beep

Good for you
Old Oct 16th 2011, 4:59 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

If you do this by making false declarations the licenses may not be valid anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.