Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK to Ontario driving licence

UK to Ontario driving licence

Old May 12th 2011, 11:49 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Ontario driving licence

Originally Posted by londonlisa
What do you have to show to prove the length of time you have been driving? My plan was to learn how to drive in the UK so that when I arrived in Canada I could exchange my license and start driving as I believe that I will need this for my work. Now wondering if this is worth it, given that I will probably only have 6 months driving experience (if that!).
Thanks
Lisa
You need 2 years driving exp in the uk before you can swop in Ontario. I think this is true for all of canada too. See post numba 2.

Last edited by magnumpi; May 12th 2011 at 11:51 am.
Old May 12th 2011, 11:54 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

When I exchanged my licence a fair few years back (it was one of the paper only ones) I'm pretty sure it had the date when I first obtained my licence, and so that was used as a basis for how long I had been driving. I also fairly sure this date was used to indicate when you first got your full G licence, but I'm ot entirely sure on that point.
Old May 12th 2011, 12:15 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

If you only have 6 months of your license you won't be able to swap for a full G license in Canada, you need to have had it for 2 years.

The don't actually look for proof of driving experience as far as I can tell , just when it was issued.

I passed my test when I was 18 and never drove again. I managed to do the swap
Old May 12th 2011, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

londonlisa is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Zoe, that is what I was trying to figure out.
Old May 15th 2011, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

TheCanary is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone tell me if there are any Insurance companies in Toronto which recognize a no claims bonus history?
Old May 15th 2011, 5:06 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Johnsons do, you need a letter of driving experience from your insurer stating how long you have been driving and that you have not claimed.

Not a slip that says 7 yrs no claims. A proper letter is req.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

HSJones is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if I should start a new thread or not, but I'm going to change my license from UK to Ontario in the next few weeks, once I have my new address and I wondered what people had done to:
'show acceptable proof of your previous licence status and driving experience'
or is that not really needed?

Thanks.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 5:09 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HSJones
Not sure if I should start a new thread or not, but I'm going to change my license from UK to Ontario in the next few weeks, once I have my new address and I wondered what people had done to:
'show acceptable proof of your previous licence status and driving experience'
or is that not really needed?

Thanks.
Erm....you give them your UK licence
Old Sep 29th 2011, 5:49 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Erm....you give them your UK licence

The license is OK for the basics, but it doesnt demonstrate whether you have actually driven recently.

I seem to recall mention of DVLA transcrips in the past, plus insurers want paperwork from your (ex) insurer to demonstrate continuous years of coverage, which doesnt really work if you follow the cheapest premium every year....

Anyway, dont rely on me, its been years since I had to do any of that...
Old Sep 29th 2011, 5:51 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
The license is OK for the basics, but it doesnt demonstrate whether you have actually driven recently.

I seem to recall mention of DVLA transcrips in the past, plus insurers want paperwork from your (ex) insurer to demonstrate continuous years of coverage, which doesnt really work if you follow the cheapest premium every year....

Anyway, dont rely on me, its been years since I had to do any of that...
To exchange your licence you just need your UK licence to prove your licence status. Whether you drove 2 days ago or 2 years ago, it doesn't matter.

Insurance is another matter entirely.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 5:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
To exchange your licence you just need your UK licence to prove your licence status. Whether you drove 2 days ago or 2 years ago, it doesn't matter.

Insurance is another matter entirely.
AFAIK in Ontario, if you cant demonstrate 2 years experience then they will put you on a graduated license, with the restrictions that go with it.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 6:06 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK in Ontario, if you cant demonstrate 2 years experience then they will put you on a graduated license, with the restrictions that go with it.
I bet they don't ask for anything other than a licence and look at the date it was issued. How do you 'prove' that you've actually been driving? It's not possible is it.

Last edited by Alan2005; Sep 29th 2011 at 6:08 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

HSJones is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone. I'll just give them my license and hope for the best!
Old Sep 30th 2011, 6:51 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

.... I had a provisional licence, which I'd had for 12 years. I didn't have to do graduated licencing. I could have taken all the tests on the same day had I wanted to, and had there been the capacity for it. I don't know anyone who's been asked for proof of their driving record, nor how recently they've driven...
Old Oct 14th 2011, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

john1965 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quick question - can anyone tell me where in downtown Toronto I go to exchange my UK for Canadian license?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.