Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK Motorbike Licence

UK Motorbike Licence

Old Sep 4th 2017, 6:45 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Motorbike Licence

BC now swap UK MC license for a class 8 or 6 (depending on experience).

For those that have to get a learners, private one on one, it is 6 hours classroom, 6 hours practical tuition, then skills assessment. Some point later take a road test.

Group lessons, 7 hours classroom, 9 hours practical, plus an addition 2 hours of either, usually split 8 and 10. MSA with the school, then road test with ICBC.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 6:48 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
OK in Red Deer the guys that ran the course when my OH did it, it was 5 nights riding followed by the test - I was just highlighting how easy it is and then you can go a get a hyabusa and die I personally think that is crazy stuff.
Just as easy to kill yourself on a 250 though. Nutters will always be nutters. Unfortunately not psych test for riders before licensing.

My daughter went from classes (she used a 500 in class) to a 1500 on the road. So long as the rider has self control and the necessary skills, it improves your chances. MY OH went to a 750 for a year and now a 1700.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Just as easy to kill yourself on a 250 though. Nutters will always be nutters. Unfortunately not psych test for riders before licensing.

My daughter went from classes (she used a 500 in class) to a 1500 on the road. So long as the rider has self control and the necessary skills, it improves your chances. MY OH went to a 750 for a year and now a 1700.
Quite.

I went from 2 days on a 250, to riding a 1400.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 8:46 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I get what your saying but they have (had in OH's)250's in class, all supervised, then you can go and get a huge engined sports bike that will wheelie etc far easier. It's just daft.

Me I am super happy with my 350 and 500, OH is super happy with his 500.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I get what your saying but they have (had in OH's)250's in class, all supervised, then you can go and get a huge engined sports bike that will wheelie etc far easier. It's just daft.

Once you have your full licence in the UK are you limited to a size of engine?

I have never wanted a crotch rocket so I doubt that I will ever unintentionally pull a wheelie.

A question for those that ride - what do you wear?

I use a full face helmet, armoured jacket and trousers and riding boots.

On the second day of owning my bike, I had a stupid accident riding on my drive where I only had a long sleeved t-shirt on. I was going about 10kmh and my back wheel slipped off my drive into a ditch (we have a slightly elevated drive). My right elbow grazed the asphalt for approx. one foot and the amount of skin that I lost amazed me. I dread to think how much skin one would lose sliding along after coming off at speed. I have never ridden since without all of the above on.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Once you have your full licence in the UK are you limited to a size of engine?
Yes and no, it depends. Cat A is a no.
https://www.gov.uk/ride-motorcycle-m...e-requirements

A question for those that ride - what do you wear?

I use a full face helmet, armoured jacket and trousers and riding boots.
Full face (modular), leather jacket, chaps, riding boots, unlined gloves.

Dress for the slide, not the ride.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 9:19 pm

Even a smaller bike can be dangerous https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...of-kawasaki-h2

Those were the days! It seemed big back then, the Z1 was a phenomenal machine.

Last edited by Aviator; Sep 4th 2017 at 9:21 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 9:40 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it can it's down to how stupid the rider is and how stupid the driver that pulls our in front of you is.

I just know - as I suspect you do too that a youngster getting a crotch rocket compared to anot old codger getting a cruiser is going to be a different kettle of fish. I know at 20 getting 117.5 Mph out of my 350 was a different story than riding that same model of 350 at my erm slightly older age today and I can thank my lucky stars that the insurance for a mid 80s gs 600 was twice the cost of the bike cause I don't think I would have lasted long at a ton forty.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 10:57 pm

Of course it can it's down to how stupid the rider is and how stupid the driver that pulls our in front of you is.

I just know - as I suspect you do too that a youngster getting a crotch rocket compared to anot old codger getting a cruiser is going to be a different kettle of fish. I know at 20 getting 117.5 Mph out of my 350 was a different story than riding that same model of 350 at my erm slightly older age today and I can thank my lucky stars that the insurance for a mid 80s gs 600 was twice the cost of the bike cause I don't think I would have lasted long at a ton forty.
It may surprise you
https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api...ication/812148

There are several factors in play. Older riders have slower reaction time, returning riders who are over confident and getting on high performance machines. As well as being out of practice on the roads on 2 wheels, older riders can also be less decisive. New older riders, another thing altogether. 50+ who always wanted to ride and now's the time, because how hard can it be? Older riders are much harder to teach than younger riders and often overthink certain scenarios. Older riders often have medical conditions that make riding and reacting harder too. A generalization, but in same way supported by the stats.

As for wearing the right gear, pretty evenly split over wearing the most sensible gear. Most younger riders use a FF helmet, a lot of cruiser riders, half helmets. The most face impacts occur on the chin.

Last edited by Aviator; Sep 4th 2017 at 11:11 pm.