Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK Midwife - Immigration to CANADA?

UK Midwife - Immigration to CANADA?

Old Nov 8th 2012, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

ukmidwife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Midwife - Immigration to CANADA?

Hey everyone, just wondering if there are any of you out there that can provide any solid information about the rules and regs of practising Midwifery in Canada? I understand there is a bridging qualification to do but still don't seem to be able to get any consistent information in regards to how long it is, where you study from etc etc. I know its a pretty new profession over there and that not all provinces recognise it but at the moment I seem to be hitting a brick wall, the Canadian Midwives Association have been bombarded with emails from me but as yet, I haven't had a single reply!

PS if I have put this in the wrong place on the forum, please accept my apologies! (I am a newbie!)
Old Nov 8th 2012, 6:35 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Midwife - Immigration to CANADA?

Hello and welcome to British Expats. Ive moved this thread to the main Canada area for you.

Member "Canadian Carpers" partner is now working as a midwife near me if I recall correctly, if no one else weighs in maybe you could drop them a line via their profile. Some of their old posts might have some info.

It probably depends where in Canada, these things are usually decided on a provincial basis.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=165381

Last edited by iaink; Nov 8th 2012 at 6:56 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Thats brilliant thank you - I'm still getting to grips navigating around the site........daft question but how would I retrace my original thread in the Canada section?

Thank you
Old Nov 8th 2012, 6:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Are you asking about a visa, or do you already have the right to work and are just asking about transferring your qualifications? If the former then I'll move this to the visa part of the forum. There is definitely at least one poster here who is a midwife and hopefully able to help.

In the meantime, this Wiki article might be useful.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Midwifery

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 8th 2012 at 6:44 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 6:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

P.S. The poster I was thinking of is 'minimeeze' who I think is a midwife, so it may be worth checking out her past posts on the subject.

P.P.S. As Iaink says, it will be very province dependent, so where are you thinking of?

P.P.S. Forget sending emails, pick up the phone!
Old Nov 8th 2012, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

My question covers both really, we're new to the immigration process entirely, we have been discussing it for quite some time but decided to leave any applications until I had qualified. I understand that it is dependant on which province, we are looking at NB as I am aware of a programme that has started up there with self employed MW's funded by the government. I need to know what is required for me to legally practice in Canada and also, would category would I be considered as on a visa application...?

Phew - cuppa time I think!

Defo going to give them a call though!

Thanks again
Old Nov 8th 2012, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Ryerson university in Toronto do the bridging, which I believe takes about 8 months (or at least it did for the British midwife we had). Macmaster in Hamilton also teach midwifery, and there is one more for Ontario somewhere north, but the name escapes me at the moment.

Regulations also vary by province too. There will be a midwifery college for each one, such as the Ontario College of midwives. You might be best to decide where you want to go and contact the correct college, or google who teaches it and contact the university. Your question is likely too vague for the national body.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Thank you
Old Nov 9th 2012, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: UK Midwife - Immigration to CANADA?

Hi,

Here's an older post on Midwifery:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512112

Cheers,

Sarah
Old Nov 9th 2012, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold

Hi
Can I ask if you are also a registered nurse as well as a midwife? Gives you the option to work as an obstetric nurse if you are.
I found it extremely difficult. I was asked to provide transcripts of everything I had studied during my training. As this was 30 years ago there was no chance, the schools of nursing and midwifery no longer even exist! However I have a friend who works on the delivery suite in a large hospital and loves it. I don't personally know any UK midwives that work independantly here, but I am sure someone will be along.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 4:40 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to look at this thread too - I posted a load of links to midwifery websites and what is required for each Province.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=midwife

Edit: BC has a Midwife PNP scheme http://www.welcomebc.ca/wbc/immigrat...onals/who.page

Interesting news about accelerated stream pilot starting in 2013: http://cmrc-ccosf.ca/node/221 (Midwifery Bridging Program website)

Please be advised that the MMBP has secured funding to run one Accelerated (AS) Stream Pilot. The assessment for this Pilot is beginning now for program delivery in January 2013. Interested applicants click here to be directed to the AS Pilot Information page. The timeline for assessment is very condensed so act quickly if you wish to submit your application.

Also:

Do I need to be a citizen or resident of Canada to apply to the MMBP?

No, you can apply to the MMBP from anywhere in the world regardless of your citizenship. Being a Canadian citizen or having lived in Canada are not eligibility requirements for the MMBP.

I am an experienced senior midwife with a lot of clinical experience but my midwifery education does not meet the requirements. Will the MMBP waive the educational requirements given my experience?

You may be eligible to apply through Option B of the MMBP Eligibility Requirements. Option B is for midwives with extensive current professional experience who: have been registered with a regulatory body that meets MMBP criteria; have practiced as a midwife for at least five out of the past ten years; and have antepartum, intrapartum, postpartum and newborn experience (including experience as the primary midwife for a minimum of 200 births). If you do not meet Option B requirements, you must meet the educational and clinical practice requirements of Option A. All requirements are equally important and cannot be waived. For full details, click here.

Eligibility for MMBP (multi jurisdictional midwife program) http://cmrc-ccosf.ca/files/pdf/MMBP/...g-Req-2012.pdf

(Taken from link above)

General Info: http://www.cicic.ca/en/professions.a...9.21&prof=3232

The other midwifery bridging program (run from Ontario) http://ce-online.ryerson.ca/ce/default.aspx?id=2161

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 9th 2012 at 4:59 am.