UK license

Old Apr 19th 2012, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Hindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK license

[QUOTE=Chris1985;10012430]Good morning folks,

I was intending to go and change my Northern Ireland UK license to a Ontario License. I have both parts of my license and the certificate of entitlement.

/QUOTE]

They don't recognise Northern Ireland in Canada, we're no mans land so you can't swap it from Norn Iron to Ontario.

If you want to swap your licence you'll need to get it changed to a mainland uk address first then swap it to Ontario.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I can't understand why anybody would want to have two. The English one will be there for your retrieval should you wish to return permanently in the future.

All seems a bit Walter Mitty to me
I think one valid reason for holding two licences would be if you share your time between the UK and Canada. For example, if you spend 5 months in Canada, you are required to hold a Canadian licence. The remaining seven months in the UK on a Canadian licence could prove problematic for insurance purposes perhaps. I don't know, I'm just giving my thoughts.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Oh the horrors of it all having to swap over licences and having to reapply for a previous one because someone choses to live in 2 countries or more.
If you are living in Canada then the provinces and territories state you cannot hold 2 x licences and if living here you must hand in any other licence you hold.
Maybe it is to stop persons who hold 2 x licences from giving a police officer who has stopped them for an offence (speeding, running a red light etc) handing over the other licence to avoid having penalty points on their Canadian licence and paying more for renewing it if they have accumulated a lot of points. Maybe its to avoid that type of thing happening just in case the offender elects not to pay the fine and thinking well they have my UK address down on the ticket so its unlikely they will come after me as they think I live in the UK.
I dunno anybody else have any ideas on this.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

i was unhappy to find out that i can't exchange my license with motorcycle entitlemen, only Car entitlement!
Old Apr 19th 2012, 4:54 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Oh the horrors of it all having to swap over licences and having to reapply for a previous one because someone choses to live in 2 countries or more.
If you are living in Canada then the provinces and territories state you cannot hold 2 x licences and if living here you must hand in any other licence you hold.
Maybe it is to stop persons who hold 2 x licences from giving a police officer who has stopped them for an offence (speeding, running a red light etc) handing over the other licence to avoid having penalty points on their Canadian licence and paying more for renewing it if they have accumulated a lot of points. Maybe its to avoid that type of thing happening just in case the offender elects not to pay the fine and thinking well they have my UK address down on the ticket so its unlikely they will come after me as they think I live in the UK.

Would anyone dare to put on a BBC accent to try and pervert the course of justice, god forbid! What do you think we are politicians.
I suspect that the police would see through the scam, why would you be driving a car, registered to you, to a Candian address and you not have a canadian DL.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fletcher m
Would anyone dare to put on a BBC accent to try and pervert the course of justice, god forbid! What do you think we are politicians.
I suspect that the police would see through the scam, why would you be driving a car, registered to you, to a Candian address and you not have a canadian DL.
This is where the legislation becomes tricky. A US student is studying at a Canadian University for 12 months and rents an apartment. Is that person considered to be living here?
The vehicle is registered in the US and they have a valid US licence.
Are they obliged to swap over their licence?
What about a Canadian doing the same in the US?
Lots of Canadian students study in a different province to where they normally reside are they not required to swap over to that province?
Old Apr 20th 2012, 12:41 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely wrong.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 1:10 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hindsight
They don't recognise Northern Ireland in Canada,
Ontario does allow a swap of Northern Ireland licences.
http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/O...ryDrivers.aspx

If you want to swap your licence you'll need to get it changed to a mainland uk address first then swap it to Ontario.
Not possible to get a GB licence unless you live in GB (England, Scotland, Wales).
Old Apr 20th 2012, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Absolutely wrong.
Which part?
Old Apr 20th 2012, 1:25 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Which part?
That producing a UK licence in the case of committing an offence, while also holding a Canadian one, will avoid you getting points etc. Certainly in Ontario if you are in the system, even with an expired licence etc, those points will appear on your ON driving record.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 1:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fletcher m
My ex got away with saying "I 'ave just arrived" and didn't swap her license until after she'd been in Canada for more than 10 years. She retained her other one and, I suppose, just went back to using it when she repatriated.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lmartin999
That producing a UK licence in the case of committing an offence, while also holding a Canadian one, will avoid you getting points etc. Certainly in Ontario if you are in the system, even with an expired licence etc, those points will appear on your ON driving record.
Yes you are right but notice you said Ontario. Not all provinces have the same set up as Ontario does. There is also the myth that if you get done for speeding in another province that those points transfer over to your home provinces licence. I got done for speeding in Ont paid the fine but the points never made it onto my licence when it came time for renewal.