Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK INHERITANCE EVEN THOUGH RESIDENT IN CANADA

UK INHERITANCE EVEN THOUGH RESIDENT IN CANADA

Old May 22nd 2008, 12:06 pm
Lovin it!

manningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to all
Default Re: UK INHERITANCE EVEN THOUGH RESIDENT IN CANADA

Originally Posted by bazzz
I've seen little to convince me that the people who end up with the most money in any way deserve it. I'm certainly not one of them. I trust the government to do something useful with it more than the people who want to give it to their spoilt kids.
bazzz r u serious u trust the government I usually like reading your posts they always have me in stitches but surely you are not serious on this 1...
Old May 22nd 2008, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dingbat
Your friend may wish to re-train. If I die in Canada, with assets in a Canadian province, my will is probated in my province of residence at the time of my death, or the province where the will is lodged and I am ordinarily resident. UK tax authorities have no say and will not even be notified.
Good point. However I've just found this:-

''If you die in a country which has a tax treaty with the UK that treaty will contain exchange of information clauses so the foreign tax authority may inform the UK about your death. If none of this applies then it is unlikely, but not impossible, that the UK will find out but why take the risk? You will be potentially liable unless you obtain a ruling that you are non UK domiciled. The cost of getting the ruling is small. The cost of doing nothing may be huge. This is insurance against a 40% tax bill''.

IS there a mutual tax treaty between the UK and Canada....?

I like how they say 'why take the risk?' - the obvious answer being 'because I don't wanna give 40% of my hard-earned Canadian bucks to you!' ?!

I can't see the benefit of retaining one's UK passport, or am I missing something here? You can travel anywhere on a Canadian passport so won't limit you to going back and forth b'twn the UK...

Interesting thread
Old May 22nd 2008, 1:18 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanyg
I can't see the benefit of retaining one's UK passport, or am I missing something here?
How about the right to live and work in any country of the EU?
Old May 22nd 2008, 1:30 pm
rolling uphill

edsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud of

From the page quoted at the start of this thread: 'If you are domiciled abroad, inheritance tax applies only to your UK assets.'

For those of us with zero assets in the UK, that means zilch tax. Nothing to worry about. HMRC can be informed all they like, but if my assets (such as they are) are all in Canada, then it's Revenue Canada that gets the tax. Or am I wrong?

I incidentally like the examples given at the bottom of the page. So the UK isn't Utopia, then? I demand my money back!
Old May 22nd 2008, 2:26 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by manningl
bazzz r u serious u trust the government I usually like reading your posts they always have me in stitches but surely you are not serious on this 1...
Why not? People are inherently selfish and are only concerned about looking after "their own". The more money the treasury can make through taxing the estate of dead people, the more they can potentially reduce the tax burden on the poorest members of society.
Old May 22nd 2008, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

giggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nice

Why not? People are inherently selfish and are only concerned about looking after "their own". The more money the treasury can make through taxing the estate of dead people, the more they can potentially reduce the tax burden on the poorest members of society.
Of course that is what the treasury will do.
Old May 22nd 2008, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by giggimickey
Of course that is what the treasury will do.
I'm glad you share my sense of optimism.
Old May 22nd 2008, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

giggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nice

I'm glad you share my sense of optimism.
No just your constant non sense.
Old May 22nd 2008, 2:42 pm

No just your constant non sense.
In response, I refer you to the reply given in the case of Arkell v. Pressdram.
Old May 22nd 2008, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

In response, I refer you to the reply given in the case of Arkell v. Pressdram.
Cast another line bazzz, I won't bite on a hook-full of bollocks.Me thinks RICH has a point and plus you are starting to bore me.
Old May 22nd 2008, 3:12 pm

Cast another line bazzz, I won't bite on a hook-full of bollocks.Me thinks RICH has a point and plus you are starting to bore me.
What is it with you? It's like being stalked by an angry toddler. Some sort of argument would be a lot more fun than the constant "I don't like you. You're a prat" stream of drivel.
Old May 22nd 2008, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

What is it with you? It's like being stalked by an angry toddler. Some sort of argument would be a lot more fun than the constant "I don't like you. You're a prat" stream of drivel.
Oh dear,i'm really really sorry.
Old May 22nd 2008, 3:33 pm

Oh dear,i'm really really sorry.
Apology accepted.
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:08 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanyg
Good point. However I've just found this:-

''If you die in a country which has a tax treaty with the UK that treaty will contain exchange of information clauses so the foreign tax authority may inform the UK about your death. If none of this applies then it is unlikely, but not impossible, that the UK will find out but why take the risk? You will be potentially liable unless you obtain a ruling that you are non UK domiciled. The cost of getting the ruling is small. The cost of doing nothing may be huge. This is insurance against a 40% tax bill''.

IS there a mutual tax treaty between the UK and Canada....?
Do you have a source for this quote?

The Canada / UK tax treaty is specific about the taxes it deals with, and Inheritance Tax isn't one of them. The provisions for information exchange are only for the taxes covered by the treaty.

I am not sure of the value of a ruling (is this from HMRC?) as you domicile can change at any time.

Domicile is a question of fact. To lose your UK domicile you have to physically move to another country and intend to live there permanently. It doesn't matter if you live and work in Canada for 40 years, if you intention is to retire back in the UK you will remain domiciled in the UK all of this time. I can see why retaining an up to date British passport would be one factor that could be considered in establishing a person's domicile, but not a conclusive one. It is certainly not necessary to renounce your British citizenship to be domiciled out of the UK.

If your life plan is to leave the UK at age 20. Live and work in Canada till the age of 60, then retire to the US, you will remain domiciled in the UK until the age of 60. This is because you never intended to live permanently in Canada. You would lose your UK domicile after the age of 60 because you are physically resident in the USA and intend to live there until you die.

Having said all this, I am not aware of a single case where a resident of Canada has been subject to UK Inheritance Tax on their Canadian assets.
Old May 22nd 2008, 6:45 pm
rolling uphill

edsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Having said all this, I am not aware of a single case where a resident of Canada has been subject to UK Inheritance Tax on their Canadian assets.
With reference to the quotation from HMRC (in my last post), I'm not in the least surprised. HMRC wouldn't be remotely interested in pursuing anyone for inheritance tax on assets that are in Canada, not the UK. That's Revenue Canada's job.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.