Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK housing market slump

UK housing market slump

Old Jun 24th 2008, 1:58 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK housing market slump

Originally Posted by Burkins
I think that the media have made people panic - yes the market is not as good as it was but now the media are terrifying people into not buying.

Also the greed of the estate agents can't be helping, we sold a house just under 4 years ago and the estate agents charged £500 plus vat to sell a £135k house. Now to sell a £175k house we have been quoted £3k plus vat. Surely the high cost has put people off moving and will now make do or extend?

Our house is about to go on the market - fingers crossed we can find a buyer, so we can get to Oz as soon as possible.
here in Winnipeg real estate costs 7% of your houses value...
Old Jun 24th 2008, 1:59 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland
Sorry, I've only ever seen the asking price on rightmove, I didn't realise they featured actual sold prices, which of course lag behind.
That's what I mean - they said the asking prices are remaining similar to last years and you said they lagged behind, hence the confusion!

In my area prices on right move are slightly lower than what they would have been on at last year, but not much, maybe a few % (other than mine, which is priced to sell!)
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

It's the asking prices I am looking at......that's what I am saying.....they haven't fallen that much! But I did say I didn't know how that translates to prices achieved.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Is that really on the cards?
No immediate plans but the ex is gone for the summer to the house she's just bought in France, they have to be thinking about staying there. Another daughter is in South America with no immediate plan to return, the third will end up in the US, so there's less and less to keep me here. The OH would rather be in the UK. If we could afford to move there I'd like to.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G586
It's the asking prices I am looking at......that's what I am saying.....they haven't fallen that much! But I did say I didn't know how that translates to prices achieved.
Yes. The thing is asking prices are one thing, but the fact that so many houses are sitting on the market for months with no viewers is quite another. Right now, vendors are refusing to lower asking prices, but when inflation forces interest rates up, and food and fuel prices also, many vendors will be forced to sell, and when that happens it's goodnight Vienna.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:05 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. The thing is asking prices are one thing, but the fact that so many houses are sitting on the market for months with no viewers is quite another. Right now, vendors are refusing to lower asking prices, but when inflation forces interest rates up, and food and fuel prices also, many vendors will be forced to sell, and when that happens it's goodnight Vienna.
True - but then it's already been stated that the inflationary pressures at the moment (mostly related to oil) aren't due to spending (though last months spending figures certainly don't help) and raising interest rates won't do anything to control inflation - what's the point of getting people into the shit for the sake of it?
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
True - but then it's already been stated that the inflationary pressures at the moment (mostly related to oil) aren't due to spending (though last months spending figures certainly don't help) and raising interest rates won't do anything to control inflation - what's the point of getting people into the shit for the sake of it?
If they raise interest rates it will lower the price of imports including food and fuel. They have kept IRs too low for too long just to protect the housing bubble and now the price must be paid. The market always corrects itself.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
No immediate plans but the ex is gone for the summer to the house she's just bought in France, they have to be thinking about staying there. Another daughter is in South America with no immediate plan to return, the third will end up in the US, so there's less and less to keep me here. The OH would rather be in the UK. If we could afford to move there I'd like to.
What about somewhere like Dumfries and Galloway or West Wales? (Areas with riding where it's not as exhorbitant as Devon or Dorset?) Then you could possibly continue the farmlette?
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:14 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Would YAL really take to the UK? Souvette bangs on about the same thing all the time. I have to keep reminding her that the four years she spent living in Sloane Square are not terribly representative of how the vast majority of people live.

That being said, if we win 649, we'll be out of here like a shot.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:18 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

If they raise interest rates it will lower the price of imports including food and fuel. They have kept IRs too low for too long just to protect the housing bubble and now the price must be paid. The market always corrects itself.
Smarter move would be to reduce the duty on fuel - they're already making a killing, reducing it so that they're still making the same as they would have before the oil price surge, means they don't screw their budget figures and also would reduce the fuel cost which is being added onto goods at the moment...
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:18 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G586
I was in Wales a month ago and the agents there were saying they were getting good offers and were selling things, this is by the sea on the coast so possibly a different market??
However, I was in Banbury/Bicester just before then and they were tearing their hair out and prices had come down. However, just trawling Rightmove & asking prices seem to be quite bullish and not that much lower than the peak last year. I don't know if this translates into the offers and what is then accepted. There are a lot more houses on the market up here than there would be normally.

All I know is that if I was investing now, I would want to mitigate my risk of the value falling by buying for a lower price. The position with the lenders is also making things very difficult as the cost of the mortgage is way more than the rental income. It's been this way for a few years but the rising prices hid that as the total return was still good. An investor cannot invest if their returns are negative and that takes away some potential buyers that have held the market up previously.

No G it doesn't seem to be any different by the coast. Ours is on the North Norfolk coast, and unfortunately in recent years the locals have been priced out of the holiday market by the 'weekenders'.

Now that things are slowing neither the weekenders are looking for that getaway, but locals still cannot afford. Its a catch 22 situation.

Luckily ours is just going through after 2 years, we have watched right move and noted that there are many properties that came on at the same time as ours still on there too, but also as has been said before there are some that have just been removed from sale and are now rentals.

We bit the bullet and dropped by an amount a lot larger than the standard 10k every 6 months that seems to be the trend.

To answer Souvenir yes I expect many are rethinking their move, especially regarding the areas that they will eventually end up, i've looked at house prices in Nova Scotia - they are so much cheaper than AB and BC - maybe why a sudden influx there?
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by G77
Smarter move would be to reduce the duty on fuel - they're already making a killing, reducing it so that they're still making the same as they would have before the oil price surge, means they don't screw their budget figures and also would reduce the fuel cost which is being added onto goods at the moment...
Labour reduce duty on fuel? Perhaps three weeks away from a general election, but I can't see that happening now. I think things are bigger than anything any single government can fix now. This is global.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:25 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Labour reduce duty on fuel? Perhaps three weeks away from a general election, but I can't see that happening now. I think things are bigger than anything any single government can fix now. This is global.
It's unlikely.....

See my earlier comment about ruining the economy ready for the Tories....
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
No G it doesn't seem to be any different by the coast. Ours is on the North Norfolk coast, and unfortunately in recent years the locals have been priced out of the holiday market by the 'weekenders'.

Now that things are slowing neither the weekenders are looking for that getaway, but locals still cannot afford. Its a catch 22 situation.

Luckily ours is just going through after 2 years, we have watched right move and noted that there are many properties that came on at the same time as ours still on there too, but also as has been said before there are some that have just been removed from sale and are now rentals.

We bit the bullet and dropped by an amount a lot larger than the standard 10k every 6 months that seems to be the trend.

To answer Souvenir yes I expect many are rethinking their move, especially regarding the areas that they will eventually end up, i've looked at house prices in Nova Scotia - they are so much cheaper than AB and BC - maybe why a sudden influx there?
With the price of heating oil going the way it is I think the warmer the part of Canada the better, so I'd stick with coastal, personally.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:27 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

With the price of heating oil going the way it is I think the warmer the part of Canada the better, so I'd stick with coastal, personally.
Hydro

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.