UK Graduate Looking for Canadian Move

UK Graduate Looking for Canadian Move

Old Aug 31st 2009, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Rodge9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Recent Electrical Engineering Graduate looking for job in Canada

Originally Posted by pinzo
Van is 'different' but no better or worse than Cov
Er...well I wouldn't go that far. Van is superior to Cov in every way.

But you've made some good points, tbh I have a pretty decent life here and I have no massive problems with the way of life in terms of day-to-day running of things, standard of living etc in this country as there are a lot worse places to have been brought up. But at the same time the more places I go and people I meet, the more I'm sure I don't want to stay long-term in England. My issues with being here are mainly human ones tbh, that and I've developed a real desire to not just accept things because you know no differently - just because I was born in England doesn't mean I should have to stay and since I came back from Canada the first time it doesn't real feel like home so much.

Then there's just the issue of personal preference and what matters to an individual/family - I read a discussion the other day started by a chap bemoaning the lack of 'culture' in Vancouver in terms of architecture, theatre, the arts, traditions etc - and he's right, it really can't hold a candle to the likes of London, Paris, Milan, Barcelona etc because it doesn't have the 100s of years of history that they do. To me none of that is relevant though, partly because of my interests, but mainly because these are things to me to visit a city for, rather than to live there.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 6:25 pm
DCG
Just Joined

DCG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Graduate Looking for Canadian Move

Phil,

I got in as a skilled worker, I am an Engineer (also working for BAE currently), but I think when I applied I needed 2 years experience.
You say the demand is high in Alberta & BC? I have a similiar problem to you, but i have residency; I had a job in BC but it was cancelled due to the recession last Christmas. The same day I got laid off from where I was working! I have since found a job with BAE, but still really want to relocate with my family to Canada but it's proving hard to find a job. I'm a chartered mech. eng, but worked in electrical for a long time. Any pointers?

DCG
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:33 am
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Hahahaha.

No really.

Hahahahahaha.

Did you manage to keep a straight face when you wrote that?
Tried to!
But you get my point.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rodge9
. But at the same time the more places I go and people I meet, the more I'm sure I don't want to stay long-term in England.
I experienced the same feelings when I first went back home, everyone was rude, obnoxious, and it was such a reality check for the first few months.

just because I was born in England doesn't mean I should have to stay and since I came back from Canada the first time it doesn't real feel like home so much.
Very true, you don't have to stay in Eng.
It will feel weird being back for a short time, but oddly it all becomes familiar again after a little while

lack of 'culture' in Vancouver in terms of architecture, theatre, the arts, traditions etc - and he's right, it really can't hold a candle to the likes of London, Paris, Milan, Barcelona etc because it doesn't have the 100s of years of history that they do. .
There are elements of the historical side I miss which Eng and Cov have lots to offer, but its not a reason to stay there or move back there for! I wouldn't.

I hope you find a way to get back to Vancouver, try and enjoy being home for the short term you are there.... and have a pint in 'The Nugget' for me!