Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK GP wants to move to Canada - BC or NB?

UK GP wants to move to Canada - BC or NB?

Old Jul 5th 2020, 11:15 am
Just Joined

dangboby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK GP wants to move to Canada - BC or NB?

I went to NB as a tourist. As others have said I think I found it less multicultural than BC.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 9:42 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

OP we Need You in NB heaven knows, we have very few doctors...but we aren't multi anything...there just aren't a lot of us...I make my office multicultural...and I'm white, but there hasn't been a day that goes by when they don't point out to me that I'm different, be it my accent, background just generally that I don't come from here. They do it to my son too and he's 19 and came here aged 11 from France...but he has a few 'dodgy' vowel sounds, and they pick up on it instantly. I know a number of people here from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds and it is mostly a positive experience that people feel...we just know that our differences will never go unnoticed.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 5:02 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Come to Fredericton my fellow scouser. We need doctors.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

There is no doubt that the French accents across Canada are very different from French in France or as taught in the UK.

My daughter went to a school in Vancouver where they began teaching French conversationally in Grade 1, before introducing grammar in Grade 3 ....... it was not even a bilingual school. That was just how they did it.She ahd to take French for her whole time at the school, from Grade 1 to 12.

We went to Montreal when she was 12 or 13, and she had problems communicating with a shop keeper in Old Town ................ yep, she had been taught by a French woman who taught Parisienne French.

Some years ago, OH was with a group of French speakers in Deep River, ON, where they used to get a lot of international visitors to the Chalk River facility. After a bbq and a few drinks, they all tried speaking in French.

He had been taught Parisienne French in England, his host was from Acadia in the Maritimes and spoke Acadian French. There was someone from Manitoba who spoke Manitoban French. There was someone from Paris, and finally a Quebecois.

OH said it was incredible how greatly the French language versions differed. Basically, they often could not understand each other.

Someone once told me that Quebecois French is derived from the 17th century French that the original settlers spoke, but evolved in a different way to Parisienne French ... some people call it more polluted.

Acadian French is derived from original French settlers in the Acadian region but who were cruelly deported down to Louisiana about 1750, where they are generally called Cajun, and then changes began in their version. The British then allowed small numbers to return to Nova Scotia 10 or 15 years later ....... but with this slightly changed French.

The Manitoban French speakers are derived from Metis, who originated as the offspring of children born to Indian women and fathered by French trappers.. They are now regarded as a true First Nations in their own right.

The French history in Canada is very interesting, and so varied.

Last edited by scilly; Jul 6th 2020 at 8:58 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2020, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

scottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scousee
After years of umming and ahhing about moving to Canada, I've decided as I can't shake the urge after 12 years, it is something I absolutely have to so to find out if it is right for me or not.

Now in my final months of GP training after also achieved CCT in medical specialty previously.

Also lone parent to one son who will come with me.

I have researched everything till I'm blue in the face but would love some actual recent experience tales from other GPs who made the move. Have been fixated on BC since a round-trip visit about 15 years ago. Have also been to NS and Ontario many times in that time.

I remember reading a post about BC and some other GP commented she moved to Moncton, NB and was enjoying it so since then I started looking at Moncton but now utterly confused.

We currently live on the west coast of Cumbria and are minimum 2 hours away from everything (originally a Scouser) so to me the "negatives" I've read about Moncton dont seem much different to where we are and I'm keen on the quiet, slower pace of life and the bilingual aspect (I speak French and my 3 year old also speaks a little and understands it though English is our first language).

I'll also mention I am of mixed Black African ethnicity and so is my son except he is darker than I am. Diversity is a concern as a small amount like we have here is probably enough but not looking for city levels like you might find in Manchester, Liverpool, or Birmingham.

Particularly keen to hear what life is like as a working family doctor and any chance of negotiating to bypass more exams?

I'm 37 and totally fed up of exams but if I must, needs must!

Thanks in advance
I'm not a GP but I am currently living in Moncton. I know they have a real shortage of GPs here. My daughter attends a English school but takes French Immersion so all her classes are in french. There are also french schools. Moncton has many different ppl. Because of the french University there are a lot of Black African students around the city. I have also worked with ppl from all over the world in Moncton. It's a quiet place but great for kids to grow up especially if they like outdoors. It has grown alot over the last 12yrs and seems like a place that will survive covid economically. You also get more house for your money here.
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Richb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scousee
After years of umming and ahhing about moving to Canada, I've decided as I can't shake the urge after 12 years, it is something I absolutely have to so to find out if it is right for me or not.

Now in my final months of GP training after also achieved CCT in medical specialty previously.

Also lone parent to one son who will come with me.

I have researched everything till I'm blue in the face but would love some actual recent experience tales from other GPs who made the move. Have been fixated on BC since a round-trip visit about 15 years ago. Have also been to NS and Ontario many times in that time.

I remember reading a post about BC and some other GP commented she moved to Moncton, NB and was enjoying it so since then I started looking at Moncton but now utterly confused.

We currently live on the west coast of Cumbria and are minimum 2 hours away from everything (originally a Scouser) so to me the "negatives" I've read about Moncton dont seem much different to where we are and I'm keen on the quiet, slower pace of life and the bilingual aspect (I speak French and my 3 year old also speaks a little and understands it though English is our first language).

I'll also mention I am of mixed Black African ethnicity and so is my son except he is darker than I am. Diversity is a concern as a small amount like we have here is probably enough but not looking for city levels like you might find in Manchester, Liverpool, or Birmingham.

Particularly keen to hear what life is like as a working family doctor and any chance of negotiating to bypass more exams?

I'm 37 and totally fed up of exams but if I must, needs must!

Thanks in advance
Hello

I am a UK GP moved to Kelowna BC in 2017. I also worked a lot in wEst Cumbria - CHOC and in Whitehaven GP surgeries.

We love it here but it isnt that ethnically diverse here - lots of immigrants but mostly white European and from Asia (mind I went to my bank managers world cup party and Nigeria were playing and there were loads of Nigerian immigrants working at CIBC for some reason!)

Its expensive, time consuming and lots of hoop jumping to get here - you need letters from all jobs you have done and it takes 12 months or so to get the license set up. We came in on Provincial Nomination and got a work permit then got PR after 18 months or so of being here.

Work wise (pre-Covid) was amazing I qualified as a GP in 1997 and steadily got more and more sick of UK GP but really enjoy work here. Its more diverse and less restrictions on what you can do. Very supportive colleagues. Better weather, better income too!

I would start with Healthmatch if you are looking at BC they lead you through the license process which is the worst part really

Feel free to email me if you want more info