Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK Child Car seats in Canada

UK Child Car seats in Canada

Old Feb 15th 2010, 12:12 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Child Car seats in Canada

Originally Posted by Yelkcub
Does it say that it has to have the stamp or is it once again "or equivalent". For example, does an American driving into Canada have to stop when he crosses the board and switch his car seats from ones that are US approved to CAnadian approved?
Visitors in a foreign registered vehicle would be exempt anyway. The only equivalence accept in Canada is UL, which is American. Those in Canadian registered vehicles and CDN residents would come under Canadian regulations.

Having never read the regualtions I have no idea what they are. Anyone affected by this may do well to check into it with their provincial insurer or Trransport Canada.

There is a recall for a car seat out right now http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/re...h012e-5820.htm
Old Feb 15th 2010, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

Kokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really nice

I went through all of this

Insurance - I was told no Insurance company is going to deny a claim that involves a young child as long as they were in a seat correctly.

Standard - The police do random checks if it doesnt have a canadian maple leaf logo representing the canadian standard then you get a ticket.

As mentioned if you took this to court and proved the UK seat was of at least an equivalent standard to that of canadian standard you would almost definately get the ticket rescinded - a pain in rear and an expense.

If you are here on a temp basis ie a holiday or a recce then UK seats will be fine but if you are providing a candian address if stopped by the police then you are obviously not here on a temp basis.

We decided to buy 2 new seats ( 1 booster )for our kids and spent about $150
Old Feb 15th 2010, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

lady lord is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a Kiddy Comfort Pro. I spoke to rep in USA and she stated that European models could only be used in Europe. Canada and US have not carried out testing on the seat, even though she said that european testing standards were far more rigourous. It seems crazy to throw away a practically new and expensive seat (because you're told not to buy a second hand seat, thus can't sell it). My child's safety is paramount and I feel that a seat which has undergone more comprehensive testing to be safer that one I will have to buy when we move to Canada.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

I too am appauled that a UK car seat cannot be used in Canada, I have 3 grand daughters, all need carseats, we purchased 3 car seats and now find we can't take them....bullshavick..I am taking them, they will be used as spare seats..an you couldn't find a cop within a 50 km radius of ours anyway. If it is good enough to protect my girls here, it will protect them there....and my dil has been using a Uk car seat for last 2 years, never been stopped or checked and child is safe.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

HPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to all

The Co operators Insurance company run a program called "Buckle Up Bears". It is totally free, you book a time, take your car down along with said car seats (and kids) and they show you how to install them correctly, off duty RCMP officers, fire crew members and other certified people check your seat for recalls, weaknesses etc, it was really useful especially since car safety standards differ to the UK. Scarily so 4/5 car seats are not fitted correctly and we were in that 80%, I almost threw up when they showed us our new parent error. You can also go along to your local fire department and St Johns Ambulance also run afternoons for the same.

Even if you have the same type of car over here, rules and regulations differ to the UK, just because your car looks the same, doesn't mean it is...

Anyway, my point is we asked about UK car seats as we were given an almost brand new car seat from an expat friend of ours. They said it would result in a ticket if we were stopped. Well understanding how much tickets are here it works out the same price to just go and buy a new front facing seat when the time comes.

At the end of the day these are your children/grandchildren you are talking about, money shouldn't factor in to the equation. If you need a new car seat because Canada law says so then get one.

It's more than about a few $$$ here people.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 5:14 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lady lord
My child's safety is paramount and I feel that a seat which has undergone more comprehensive testing to be safer that one I will have to buy when we move to Canada.

Links to stats and proof please.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Links to stats and proof please.
This is what I was told by the German manufacturer, a country renowned for road safety don't you think? Visit there site if you don't believe me.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 7:09 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

This is what I was told by the German manufacturer, a country renowned for road safety don't you think? Visit there site if you don't believe me.

Ah, you were told by the company that sells the seats.

Hmmm.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Ah, you were told by the company that sells the seats.

Hmmm.
By their US rep though!

And it looks like that rep is very much correct in respect to lower US standards of safety. I don't know about the speed requirement for Canadian tests on children's car seats, but: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f7...#ixzz0fdoeOTwR states: All German cars seats must pass a crash test of 45mph, England 35mph, American 30mph
Old Feb 15th 2010, 8:13 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Canadian standards are to protect Canadians. CSA cannot test anything that is not submitted to them. If a UK manufacturer wants to have their seats used or sold in Canada then they need to be submitted for testing. Why would anyone coming from another country (UK or otherwise) expect that a product should be accepted by Canada just because it was acceptable somewhere else? We have our rules and laws, like every country some are questionable, but they are still the Canadian way. If one is coming to Canada to live, expect to live by our rules, like it or not, this is the way it is.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/childcarseats/

Last edited by Aviator; Feb 15th 2010 at 8:15 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Canadian standards are to protect Canadians. CSA cannot test anything that is not submitted to them. If a UK manufacturer wants to have their seats used or sold in Canada then they need to be submitted for testing. Why would anyone coming from another country (UK or otherwise) expect that a product should be accepted by Canada just because it was acceptable somewhere else? We have our rules and laws, like every country some are questionable, but they are still the Canadian way. If one is coming to Canada to live, expect to live by our rules, like it or not, this is the way it is.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/childcarseats/
The seats are being tested for the US/Canada market, but because of lengthy process, qualification is not available yet. I don't think it's necessary on a forum to be blunt and ask me to live by rules, I haven't arrived in the country and you're not being constructive. I am entitled to express my thoughts rationally. It may be good for countries throughout the world to work together on product safety and get an international standard which would save money on R&D.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 9:55 pm

I don't think it's necessary on a forum to be blunt and ask me to live by rules
Were any remarks direct at you personally or does it just ring a chord? Why should new immigrants not expect to live by our rules?

I am entitled to express my thoughts rationally.
As is everyone, but they may not always agree with you!

It may be good for countries throughout the world to work together on product safety and get an international standard which would save money on R&D.
Will never happen.