UK to CAD - Outgoings PM

UK to CAD - Outgoings PM

Old Apr 6th 2016, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

stuartgreig1978 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK to CAD - Outgoings PM

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Dog walking $18 per day
Pretty much on par what we pay her in the UK.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 6:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuartgreig1978
So i did, thanks for noticing. We would be renting for the first year or so. I would guess the landlord would have this dealt with.
You should buy a tenant's package, to deal with theft and natural disaster and the like. Maybe $50/month, probably less.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
You should buy a tenant's package, to deal with theft and natural disaster and the like. Maybe $50/month, probably less.
Brilliant, thanks again. Something else learned i didn't know. So many differences between UK and Canada.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Can i ask what you mean by self insured? Do you just pay as required? yes we just pay when he needs something.

Would this include unlimited data too?I have 1GB of data included which is enough for me.

What sort of speeds would that be?No idea but my husband is fussy about this stuff so I think its fast, and pretty much unlimited as we don't have cable we watch all our TV via streaming or Netflix.

Is this just paid in a one off yearly payment. Is it included in the rent/mortgage? We pay it per month for 10 months then get 2 months off. If you were to rent then the landlord would pay it, not the tenant.

So i did, thanks for noticing. We would be renting for the first year or so. I would guess the landlord would have this dealt with you would likely still need a contents policy and generally liability insurance too (in case anyone injures themselves on the property, but it would be much cheaper than I quoted for the full insurance)

Helps loads thanks for your detailed message. Going with some of your figures it may well (for the first while anyway) work out a bit more expensive to work & live in Canada than i had originally thought.
Comments in red above
Old Apr 7th 2016, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Good informative post but have some questions about some of the figures, which seem higher than I expected.

I posted in another forum quite recently, not an expat forum and got this these responses from a local.

Rent in a 2bdrm 1000 Sq ft apartment including all utililities 1300 CAD (you could get a cheaper place in a smaller apt)
Car payment per month for a compact Car 350 CAD
Car Insurance for said Car 140 CAD (established driving record in Ontario mind you)
High Speed Internet per month 50 CAD
Cell phone bill 55 per month CAD (Smartphone with data plan and unlimited international text/unlimited talk evenings/weekends and I think 2000 daytime minutes)
Food costs for my partner and I no more than 400 bucks per month not including eating out once per week.
Gas is about 89 cents per liter so I fill my tank every two weeks about 90 bucks a month..

Not as comprehensive as the OP question, but I just asked about general cost of living with no specific items listed.

The prices the couple have mentioned for utilities(gas, hydro and water) and petrol seem quite high.

$800 for 2 cars/month for petrol. How much time do you spend driving?
Old Apr 7th 2016, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

I also found this information very useful, thanks guys.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 12:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evets
Good informative post but have some questions about some of the figures, which seem higher than I expected.

I posted in another forum quite recently, not an expat forum and got this these responses from a local.

Rent in a 2bdrm 1000 Sq ft apartment including all utililities 1300 CAD (you could get a cheaper place in a smaller apt)
Car payment per month for a compact Car 350 CAD
Car Insurance for said Car 140 CAD (established driving record in Ontario mind you)
High Speed Internet per month 50 CAD
Cell phone bill 55 per month CAD (Smartphone with data plan and unlimited international text/unlimited talk evenings/weekends and I think 2000 daytime minutes)
Food costs for my partner and I no more than 400 bucks per month not including eating out once per week.
Gas is about 89 cents per liter so I fill my tank every two weeks about 90 bucks a month..

Not as comprehensive as the OP question, but I just asked about general cost of living with no specific items listed.

The prices the couple have mentioned for utilities(gas, hydro and water) and petrol seem quite high.

YMMV, of course. However two people feeding themselves including going out once a week, on $400/month do not drink, do not tip, and, in winter, are living on beans. Presumably these are the people who have low heating bills.

We drive about 30,000 miles per year in the car and a little, perhaps 10,000 miles, in the truck. One wouldn't usually drive a truck unless hauling smelly garbage, large objects, hay/straw or livestock. In our household we don't often have need to transport greased pigs but, for those who do, it is the thing to have.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by evets
Does seem a bit high to me too if i compare it to what i spend in the UK on 2 cars.

If i go with 89 cents a liter that works out at 0.48p per liter in the UK. At the moment for a liter of diesel & petrol im £1.05 (more than double). We run 2 cars, a 2.0ltr and a 1.2ltr and i estimate our monthly fuel bill to be around £250. My partner uses the 1.2ltr for business so mileage wise per year she will probably do well in excess of 20k miles and in the 2.0ltr car we bought from new and has done almost 17k miles.

I guess the fact Canada is a far bigger place then you have to drive a little further to get to places you want to go. I was hoping this would have been somewhere we could have made a bit of savings.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 12:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Does seem a bit high to me too if i compare it to what i spend in the UK on 2 cars.

If i go with 89 cents a liter that works out at 0.48p per liter in the UK. At the moment for a liter of diesel & petrol im £1.05 (more than double). We run 2 cars, a 2.0ltr and a 1.2ltr and i estimate our monthly fuel bill to be around £250. My partner uses the 1.2ltr for business so mileage wise per year she will probably do well in excess of 20k miles and in the 2.0ltr car we bought from new and has done almost 17k miles.

I guess the fact Canada is a far bigger place then you have to drive a little further to get to places you want to go. I was hoping this would have been somewhere we could have made a bit of savings.
I would expect that fuel costs would be the same here as there, if you had the same vehicle. Petrol is half the price but everything is twice as far away.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

I would expect that fuel costs would be the same here as there, if you had the same vehicle. Petrol is half the price but everything is twice as far away.
Ah well. Looks like i'll have to try make some savings somewhere else. Definitely not as cheap as some of these UK v Canada comparison websites would have you believe but at the same time its not a million miles away from the UK either.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 1:16 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Part of choosing where to live. In a town or suburb, close to work, then you can walk to most things (with or without dogs) and save that gym fee.

Canada's big, but most people live in their own neighbourhoods, and IMO, you're more likely to find a range of shops ond other facilities nearby than in many British locations. For eg. in England at least it seems most common for doctors to cluster in a group practice. In Canada most still have their own office and if there's a good one close, no need for the car.
But a lot depends on where you choose to live.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 1:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Bevm
Part of choosing where to live. In a town or suburb, close to work, then you can walk to most things (with or without dogs) and save that gym fee.

Canada's big, but most people live in their own neighbourhoods, and IMO, you're more likely to find a range of shops ond other facilities nearby than in many British locations. For eg. in England at least it seems most common for doctors to cluster in a group practice. In Canada most still have their own office and if there's a good one close, no need for the car.
But a lot depends on where you choose to live.
It's true that when we lived in the Beach and again when we lived in Guelph the car only moved on weekends. It would have been cheaper not to own but to rent a car. However, if you live in the country or in some awful suburb, such as Mississauga, then you'll need the car for everything.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

We have a long-running 'groceries' discussion (or 2) here, which also touches on other expenses (rent, cars, insurance etc, etc, etc). One of the things that stands out is how wildly varied costs can be depending on location within Canada.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/maple...ceries-857019/
Old Apr 7th 2016, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

It's true that when we lived in the Beach and again when we lived in Guelph the car only moved on weekends. It would have been cheaper not to own but to rent a car. However, if you live in the country or in some awful suburb, such as Mississauga, then you'll need the car for everything.
Its obviously very much dependent on our jobs but with the little digging and investigating I've been doing we like the idea of Windsor, ON. I have family in Hamilton, ON so would keep us relatively close to them too. Being close to the US would be a bonus with family coming to visit as it gives a few more options for flights etc. and its closer too.

Also, initially with us being newcomers to Canada how would we get credit/loans (if we dont have cash lump-sum) to get a new car? We lease cars in the UK but this is dependent on our credit rating. We have already looked into opening a bank account with HSBC in Canada in the hope this will give us some financial history.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shirtback
We have a long-running 'groceries' discussion (or 2) here, which also touches on other expenses (rent, cars, insurance etc, etc, etc). One of the things that stands out is how wildly varied costs can be depending on location within Canada.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/maple...ceries-857019/
Hi,

Had a look at the thread and it looks like as you said can vary wildly from city to city. I have family in Hamilton, ON and they have said once a month they drive over to Detroit and get a huge shop and freeze for the month. Does anyone else do this? We are looking at potentially moving to Windsor, ON so this would definitely be an option for us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.