Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK banks accounts

UK banks accounts

Old May 10th 2010, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Raymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud of
Default UK banks accounts

Moved to Toronto a couple of years ago now, my bank accounts back in the UK are at my old address that my family still lives at so, my paper work goes there.

Is it a good idea to keep the address for myself as the UK address or should I change my address details with the UK banks to be my Canadian address?

I have two UK accounts, should I change one bank to Canada and keep one as UK address.

What are the rules, and the plus and minus of changing.

I was hearing that keeping at least one account open in the UK is a good idea, for me its handy as I can use my UK bank card when I'm back in the UK
Old May 10th 2010, 2:35 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK banks accounts

Always good to keep a UK bank account at a UK address.
Old May 11th 2010, 1:53 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Raymate
Moved to Toronto a couple of years ago now, my bank accounts back in the UK are at my old address that my family still lives at so, my paper work goes there.

Is it a good idea to keep the address for myself as the UK address or should I change my address details with the UK banks to be my Canadian address?

I have two UK accounts, should I change one bank to Canada and keep one as UK address.

What are the rules, and the plus and minus of changing.

I was hearing that keeping at least one account open in the UK is a good idea, for me its handy as I can use my UK bank card when I'm back in the UK
Our UK HSBC accounts are registered to our Canadian address. The debit & credit cards still work. There are some retarded UK web sites that won't accept foreign cardholder addresses, but these are gradually being updated (eg thetrainline.com).
If there is a case for retaining UK addresses on UK bank accounts, I'd be interested to hear it.
Old May 11th 2010, 1:55 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I have a UK bank account with First Direct. They use my Canadian address and seem perfectly happy with that.
Old May 11th 2010, 2:06 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agr
Our UK HSBC accounts are registered to our Canadian address. The debit & credit cards still work. There are some retarded UK web sites that won't accept foreign cardholder addresses, but these are gradually being updated (eg thetrainline.com).
If there is a case for retaining UK addresses on UK bank accounts, I'd be interested to hear it.
There are certain times when it's useful to appear to be UK-resident. Having a UK bank account with a UK address certainly eases that appearance.
Old May 11th 2010, 2:10 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I have a UK bank account with First Direct. They use my Canadian address and seem perfectly happy with that.
We have one too. They keep sending us letters saying we should transfer the money to another type of account as we live abroad. We ring them up and agree to this and then nothing happens.

Confusing. I had only good experiences with First Direct when we were in the UK, the international part hasn't been so good.
Old May 11th 2010, 2:19 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
We have one too. They keep sending us letters saying we should transfer the money to another type of account as we live abroad. We ring them up and agree to this and then nothing happens.

Confusing. I had only good experiences with First Direct when we were in the UK, the international part hasn't been so good.
That's odd. I have very little communication with FD & infrequently access the few thousand left there as emergency travel home money. Most of the communication though is 'here's your new credit card' and 'we're pleased to review your overdraft facility' (which I don't need, nor use.) There's never been any hint of you might find another account or bank more in line with your needs.
Old May 11th 2010, 2:21 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

That's odd. I have very little communication with FD & infrequently access the few thousand left there as emergency travel home money. Most of the communication though is 'here's your new credit card' and 'we're pleased to review your overdraft facility' (which I don't need, nor use.) There's never been any hint of you might find another account or bank more in line with your needs.
I'll pm you about this if you don't mind.
Old May 11th 2010, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
There are certain times when it's useful to appear to be UK-resident. Having a UK bank account with a UK address certainly eases that appearance.
So are you going to expand on why you wish to appear a UK resident.
Old May 11th 2010, 3:16 pm
Lowering the tone

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
So are you going to expand on why you wish to appear a UK resident.
Nothing sinister, it's just a case of lallowing people believe what they want to believe because they see a UK address in front of them, e.g. access to UK mortgages, credit cards etc. If you're able to maintain a UK address for UK business, why complicate it with a Canadian address?
Old May 12th 2010, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Barclays never changed my address to a foreign one, after about 20 requests.
Old May 12th 2010, 4:03 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing sinister, it's just a case of lallowing people believe what they want to believe because they see a UK address in front of them, e.g. access to UK mortgages, credit cards etc. If you're able to maintain a UK address for UK business, why complicate it with a Canadian address?
Indeedy!
Old May 12th 2010, 11:05 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I've never had any problems. Barclays have been quite happy for me to keep my accounts and have a Canadian billing address. The only thing I have to remember is to tell them when I am visiting the UK (or my card won't work).

Now I think of it, they did advise me to change accounts a couple of years ago. The one I then had included some sort of credit facility, which I didn't need and for which I was being charged. That was noticed by one of their staff while I was making a telephone transfer. She suggested I switch to something else and did it on the spot.
Old May 12th 2010, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

I totally aggree with this, closing everything down or changing addresses to a Canadian one, seems to greatly complicate matters with what your allowed to do with your bank account and the services it offers - and also other related issues with it.....for example a UK mortgage. It shouldnt - its your money after all! and having access to sterling is also advantageous. Sometimes I feel the less people know about your new life in Canada the better, it just seems to over complicate things and create unimportant issues if they do.
Old May 12th 2010, 6:07 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

We still have our Nationwide accounts. They have no problem with us having a Canadian address, the only problem seems to be their DP department is unable to allow a Canadian address to be inserted when trying to register your new address on line! We have tried many times to get the address shown correctly and each time they balls it up.

I have had correspondence with them telling them that if they do not include our PO Box number in the address correspondence will get returned to them. Although we have ticked the paperless option they still send some things through the post and on one occasion this was returned to them as it had not included the PO Box number and my OH's account was frozen!

They have told us not to worry that they have marked our records accordingly - fills you with confidence doesnt it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.