Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK bank account/credit cards etc.

UK bank account/credit cards etc.

Old May 13th 2015, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK bank account/credit cards etc.

Hi just hoping for a bit of advice/knowledge ...

We are just going through our house sale in the UK and will have to go through the "change of address" procedure in the next couple of weeks. My major issue is UK bank accounts, credit cards etc.
So First Direct said (verbally) I can keep my UK account even with a non UK address (I assume because I've had it for ages).
Santander: seems like quite a procedure to change to an overseas address
Barclaycard: I have had my card for over 30 years, and they have been very good so far (while I have been in Canada). They have my Canadian address in addition to the UK one. Apparently, it seems I can't keep it if I no longer have a UK address.
I can use a family member's address in the UK, although I'm not even sure Barclaycard will allow me to change to another UK address while they know I'm here. I use it all the time (and my UK bank account).

The rest of my UK linked stuff seems fairly straightforward. Let's hope so !!
Just wondering what people have done in these situations. I'd be grateful to know.

Thanks!
Old May 13th 2015, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK bank account/credit cards etc.

I still have my UK bank account with a Canadian address, but I keep a few thousand in there and only get online statements. Seemed better than having to jump through hoops to open another if I ever do go back.

Credit cards normally require you to be a UK resident, and I cancelled all mine once I got a Canadian card. I also closed my savings accounts, as I didn't want the hassle of dealing with tax on the piddling income I might make there.
Old May 13th 2015, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

itsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond repute

We left UK in 2005 and have kept two accounts with First Direct the whole time. They have been great.
Old May 13th 2015, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the above replies.
I'll be very sad to let my UK credit go after all this time if that happens, especially if one day I go back to live
Glad also to read of experience with FD in particular: did you give them a Canadian address?
Old May 13th 2015, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

itsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they knew we were in the USA and then Canada. Actually we still get paper statements from them. They have never charged us anything ( unlike the Canadian banks). We talk to them on the phone occasionally. They have to give you a special number for foreign account holders which you need to communicate with them; as well as the security questions. Just be up front with them and hopefully you will have no issues keeping an account with them. We have had in excess of 100 000 pounds in the account but also as little as a couple of hundred. It seems to be of no relevance - we have had the same service regardless.
Old May 13th 2015, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

I've still got an active Barclays accounts and a Tesco credit card registered at my Canadian address. The Tesco one is only there as a dump for a '0%-for-life of balance' balance transfer I did before we came out here.

The only issue seems to be that Tesco can't handle a foreign postcode, so that goes in the address line and still has a UK postcode in the postcode line...
Old May 13th 2015, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

From what I'm reading, I think keeping my Barclaycard is going to be my main issue

And that we couldn't open a (new) UK joint account for the house sale proceeds ...
Old May 13th 2015, 8:51 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Kept my bank accounts, got rid of credit cards. Just use CAD cards and a UK debit.
Old May 14th 2015, 12:51 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

We still have a Barclays account and an HSBC (Global thingy with accounts in a few countries/currencies). We also still have a UK Barclaycard and MasterCard. There are no issues with us having only a Canadian address.
Old May 14th 2015, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh. So you still have a Barclaycard with only a Canadian address... that's great to read.
I speak to people from the call centre or send them a message and they don't always sound sure themselves. But there is the suggestion from them that you have to have a UK address. Like first they told me No. Then they told me we will give you notice if we need to close your account and various other things.

I need to speak to someone from B/C who will give me a definitive answer ... that's what is difficult

I can't use the HSBC global thingy as FD is part of HSBC but not HSBC (if you see what I mean).

Last edited by Snowy560; May 14th 2015 at 1:05 am.
Old May 14th 2015, 1:11 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Oh. So you still have a Barclaycard with only a Canadian address... that's great to read.
I speak to people from the call centre or send them a message and they don't always sound sure themselves. But there is the suggestion from them that you have to have a UK address. Like first they told me No. Then they told me we will give you notice if we need to close your account and various other things.

I need to speak to someone from B/C who will give me a definitive answer ... that's what is difficult

I can't use the HSBC global thingy as FD is part of HSBC but not HSBC (if you see what I mean).
I suppose at the time we were just naïve or arrogant enough to never assume there was going to be an issue. We just called them and then confirmed with a letter our new address in Canada. They wrote back acknowledging receipt and that our details had been changed. My wife is the Guru on this but I think our statements are quarterly and are certainly sent online. We still use the cards from time to time to buy gifts for God kids etc on Amazon - just to keep the cards current.
Old May 14th 2015, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks everyone for sharing. I suspect it's quite arbitrary as to whether they let you keep the credit card, depending on your account behaviour and who you get from the company doing the deciding. I'm pretty confident the bank account will be okay as I've had it for so long.

We also need a joint account for the house sale. But that seems to be impossible to open in the UK after leaving, but we were able to open one (GBP) here. Good old HSBC.

PS: and do you think if you were to swap to a relative's/friend's address in the UK, are you breaking any rules?

Last edited by Snowy560; May 14th 2015 at 3:20 am.
Old May 14th 2015, 11:46 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
The only issue seems to be that Tesco can't handle a foreign postcode, so that goes in the address line and still has a UK postcode in the postcode line...
Ha. I wondered about that. I "went through the motions" as if I was going to change the address once and that looked to be an issue.
Originally Posted by Snowy560
PS: and do you think if you were to swap to a relative's/friend's address in the UK, are you breaking any rules?
I guess that depends what you say and how you say it. I don't suppose there's a solemn declaration involved.

I kept my accounts and credit cards - still do - from 10 years ago and use my mum's address. I was in Canada on visitor status when I "moved" and hers was the obvious care of address to use.

While some people said "no problem" to use a Canadian address, others did experience a problem. I didn't want to take a chance but my current account had special rules requiring deposits. In fact when I opened it (1990s) my salary didn't actually meet the minimum necessary but I persuaded them.

So with no UK income going in when I moved (no pension for another three years yet) I didn't want to chance it.

Ditto credit cards which even now have a higher limit than my Canadian ones.
Old May 15th 2015, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, I can't decide: risk it and give Canadian address or give relative's UK address ...

S
Old May 15th 2015, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

CDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond repute

I was able to keep my Goldfish cards, now Barclaycard from 2004 using my Canadian address. Loved it when I went back to the UK as I could pay it off using sums still in my First Direct account so that nobody benefited from exchange rate fees from me.

Sadly, last year they took the Barclaycard away from me. I guess I'll have to use my debit card in future but that is of no use when booking hotels and rental cards in advance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.