Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

U.K. To Canada

U.K. To Canada

Old Apr 18th 2016, 6:01 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U.K. To Canada

Originally Posted by samjam1234

This might sound dumb to some people, but to able to work in Canada would I have to register for some type of national insurance card or is that kind of included in the visa?
Yep it called a social insurance number (SIN). You go to a service canada location with your work permit (you get this when you land) and you get a temp SIN valid for duration of your work permit - it gets given to employers to get tax deducted.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

samjam1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Yep it called a social insurance number (SIN). You go to a service canada location with your work permit (you get this when you land) and you get a temp SIN valid for duration of your work permit - it gets given to employers to get tax deducted.
Ok that seems simple enough. How have you found being there? Obviously there's had been highs and lows, but on the whole are you happy there?
Old Apr 18th 2016, 8:05 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Ok that seems simple enough. How have you found being there? Obviously there's had been highs and lows, but on the whole are you happy there?
Its a different experience for everyone. I have had my ups and downs for sure but I don't regret coming out here. I get homesick and I miss friends and family but this feels like home. I have a job, I've finally met a lovely Canadian guy (and people on here will agree I've really hated on the dating scene in Vancouver) and I'm hopeful in getting my PR by the end of the summer.

Just be open to everything. There are going to be things you will love about your new environment and things you hate. One thing I will say is it takes time to get established. I've been out here over 18 months now and only now do I feel like I can call this 'home'

Old Apr 19th 2016, 2:19 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't know if this is useful or not but I'm on good terms with a coffee shop owner and, although I'm not his bartender, he tells me his problems. He wants people who have worked a coffee grinder and an espresso machine before. He wants people who can make change, who are used to handling cash. He will pay $2/hr more for these skills. These skills on top of the house requirements of being young, female, personable and pretty; this is a university town so there are no end of people who meet those requirements.

If I were going to look for a job serving coffee in a foreign country, I'd get one locally first, be able to turn up knowing where the coffee goes in and the steam comes out (or whatever it is, I just drink the stuff and sell the owner eggs).
I did manage to blag my way into the Boulevard Club 11 years ago.

When they realised my sheer incompetence it was too late.

The old English clique of the club thought I was the best thing to happen to the place in years even though I had no idea how to make a Mojito.

No tips there though sadly.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 2:20 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

The novelty dies fully by the end of year 4.

After that though everyone back home has moved on and Canada saps your energy so moving back is harder.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 3:48 am
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by JamesM
The novelty dies fully by the end of year 4.

After that though everyone back home has moved on and Canada saps your energy so moving back is harder.
Just because there arnt enough Hooters bars around Canada...
Old Apr 19th 2016, 7:33 am
Just Joined

samjam1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in Spain for a few years so I have already experienced being away from England, although Canada is a lot further away. I think I decided a while ago that the U.K wasn't for me and whilst I wasn't here I experienced all kind of 'home sick' feelings then so I suppose it won't be s massive shock. I think it's something I want to give a go and won't take lightly and I think i am prepared for hardship, as I experienced in Spain. Things don't happen overnight I suppose.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 8:38 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

You can only drink in one bar at a time.

I often have to remind folks of that when they start getting jumpy.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 8:42 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by JamesM
You can only drink in one bar at a time.

I often have to remind folks of that when they start getting jumpy.
It was actually meant as a joke but maybe I didn't make that clear enough?
Old Apr 20th 2016, 3:26 am
Dive Bar Drunk

It was actually meant as a joke but maybe I didn't make that clear enough?
I know!

I was being philosophical with it.
Old May 25th 2016, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

joshphill94 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Just a quick post, basically I'm at the beginning stages of starting the process of IEC but think I'm am going to wait for the 2017 dates and apply then.

After posting a thread asking about the ins and outs of the whole process I think I'm quite comfortable I know how to go about applying now (thanks to everyone who replied and were really helpful).

My question is this, is there anyone out there who is in the same position as me and thinking about applying next year but hasn't really formulated a solid plan yet and are not entirely sure where they want to go and when etc etc?

I am going to use the coming year to plan as thoroughly as I am able to and save like crazy so I will have a good cushion to help see me through until I can get a job. If anyone is in the same position as me and wants someone to bounce ideas off or maybe even be travel partners let me know as it would be good to either have a point of contact actually in Canada who has already done it or someone that can offer ideas etc for the time leading up to getting an IEC.

Also I would just like to point out that I know the process of IEC incase anyone was going to explain the process.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Hey, me and my partner are looking at doing the exact same thing!

Have you applied for the IEC yet? I'm guessing your waiting til 2017?

How are you planning on staying after the 2 years? I'm going to try and get a TWP in my field, but this is probably going to be really difficult.

What parts of Canada have you looked at?
Old May 25th 2016, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joshphill94

How are you planning on staying after the 2 years? I'm going to try and get a TWP in my field, but this is probably going to be really difficult.
If you get a job in skill class 0,A or B whilst here on IEC you may qualify under CEC on EE, provided you have enough points. Be simpler than getting a TWP. Jus to reiterate that under IEC you will get an open work permit so can work in your field then. We have a number of young engineers in our firm on IEC work permits because its the quickest way of getting people over if they are under 30/35 (depending on citizenship)

Last edited by Siouxie; May 25th 2016 at 11:09 pm. Reason: fixed your quote :)
Old May 26th 2016, 6:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
If you get a job in skill class 0,A or B whilst here on IEC you may qualify under CEC on EE, provided you have enough points. Be simpler than getting a TWP. Jus to reiterate that under IEC you will get an open work permit so can work in your field then. We have a number of young engineers in our firm on IEC work permits because its the quickest way of getting people over if they are under 30/35 (depending on citizenship)
You'll have to forgive me, but what is a CEC?

so its definitely possible to stay in Canada by first getting there on an IEC?

Thanks!
Old May 26th 2016, 7:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joshphill94
You'll have to forgive me, but what is a CEC?

so its definitely possible to stay in Canada by first getting there on an IEC?

Thanks!
Canadian Abbreviations : British Expat Wiki

And yes, it's possible, as mentioned on your previous thread - doesn't always happen though as it will depend on the job you do, your employer, and the province you are in, so it's not automatic and if you want to try and stay permanently it's best to look at before you go.

If you have further questions, please do add them on to your own thread rather than posting them on somebody else's, thx.
Old May 26th 2016, 7:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Canadian Abbreviations : British Expat Wiki

And yes, it's possible, as mentioned on your previous thread - doesn't always happen though as it will depend on the job you do, your employer, and the province you are in, so it's not automatic and if you want to try and stay permanently it's best to look at before you go.

If you have further questions, please do add them on to your own thread rather than posting them on somebody else's, thx.
oh right, sorry, didn't realize i wasn't allowed to ask questions on other threads.

My bad...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.