Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

TWP -School fees

TWP -School fees

Old Mar 16th 2008, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

iainandsheena is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TWP -School fees

Does anyone know whether, once you enter canada on a twp and you have a PR in process.. do you still have to pay education fees for your kids until you PR is approved??

thanks
Old Mar 16th 2008, 7:23 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TWP -School fees

What do you mean by education fees?
Old Mar 16th 2008, 7:26 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
What do you mean by education fees?
I think the original poster means school fees. International students have to pay school fees of around $1,000 / month, even if they attend a public (state) school.
x
Old Mar 16th 2008, 7:27 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iainandsheena
Does anyone know whether, once you enter canada on a twp and you have a PR in process.. do you still have to pay education fees for your kids until you PR is approved??

thanks
I didn't think that persons on a work permit were charged fees for their children's education.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 7:28 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iainandsheena

thanks
Usually children of work permit holders do not have to pay school fees if they attend public (state) schools.

They usually do not have to have study permits either.

However, you should double check by contacting the school board of the jurisdiction in which you'll be living.
x
Old Mar 16th 2008, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

I checked out the Halifax School board website which says that the children of work permit holders do not require study permits.

However, the CHC in their infinite wisdom have decided that I have to have them anyway and will not issue my WP without me paying the fee. My children are 7 and 12.

Has anyone else had to pay this despite the fact that there is clear evidence that they don't need one?
Old Mar 16th 2008, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paradisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really nice

We were told by or local school board http://www.ccrsb.ednet.ns.ca/ that if we had work permits our children could attend school free of fees. No study permits required.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 9:55 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
I checked out the Halifax School board website which says that the children of work permit holders do not require study permits.

However, the CHC in their infinite wisdom have decided that I have to have them anyway and will not issue my WP without me paying the fee. My children are 7 and 12.

Has anyone else had to pay this despite the fact that there is clear evidence that they don't need one?
A year or two ago, there was a report here about a Calgary family that had the opposite problem. CIC let them in okay, but the Calgary Board of Education refused to let the kids enroll in school until they had study permits. As I understand it, this kind of misunderstanding has been resolved, and no longer is happening in Calgary or indeed anywhere in Alberta (at least according to what I hear).

I think this is the first time I've heard about CIC being the ones to insist on the study permits for the kids. But it's possible it's been reported before and I either didn't see the reports or don't remember them.

It seems weird to me. On the one hand, you could say it's not a huge expense, but on the other hand, all the "little" expenses associated with immigration add up.

It's like that American politician my husband saw on a TV interview. He said, "A billion here, a billion there. It's adding up. Pretty soon it's going to cost us real money."
x
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
A year or two ago, there was a report here about a Calgary family that had the opposite problem. CIC let them in okay, but the Calgary Board of Education refused to let the kids enroll in school until they had study permits. As I understand it, this kind of misunderstanding has been resolved, and no longer is happening in Calgary or indeed anywhere in Alberta (at least according to what I hear).

I think this is the first time I've heard about CIC being the ones to insist on the study permits for the kids. But it's possible it's been reported before and I either didn't see the reports or don't remember them.

It seems weird to me. On the one hand, you could say it's not a huge expense, but on the other hand, all the "little" expenses associated with immigration add up.

It's like that American politician my husband saw on a TV interview. He said, "A billion here, a billion there. It's adding up. Pretty soon it's going to cost us real money."
x
Part of me want to stand on the principle that I AM right. But the other part of me says why bother. They hold all the cards and I just want my WP to be processed as quickly as possible so I will probably just pay up.

Another example of people making it up as they go along.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Paradisefound
We were told by or local school board http://www.ccrsb.ednet.ns.ca/ that if we had work permits our children could attend school free of fees. No study permits required.
Yep, thats what the school board says in Halifax too. The CHC have just negated that though. They have put my WP processing on hold until I pay.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold

We paid for a study permit for our son along with our first WPs - we were told too by London CIC - they were wrong and when the WPs arrived, our son had been issued with a visitor's permit and they sent us a refund cheque. So if you end up paying for it, and follow the process you've been told, it will probably be caught further down the line and the correct fee/permits will be charged. All subsequent permits were visitors and went through without a problem.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 3:18 am
Just Joined

AAinBC is just really niceAAinBC is just really niceAAinBC is just really niceAAinBC is just really niceAAinBC is just really niceAAinBC is just really niceAAinBC is just really niceAAinBC is just really nice

Originally Posted by ladymoose
We paid for a study permit for our son along with our first WPs - we were told too by London CIC - they were wrong and when the WPs arrived, our son had been issued with a visitor's permit and they sent us a refund cheque. So if you end up paying for it, and follow the process you've been told, it will probably be caught further down the line and the correct fee/permits will be charged. All subsequent permits were visitors and went through without a problem.
We applied for a study permit for our 5 year old when we applied for TWP in London last March. We we arrived, I contacted the Langley School District, who did want to see the study permit - as we were, at the time on TWP, my son was considered an international student. The school district lady told me that it was a good job we had the study permit, otherwise we would have had to pay for him to attend school. She wants me to reregister in June 08 for next year, as our TWP would run out in May 09 and the last 2 months of the school year would not be covered - Fortunately we are now Permenant Residents so no longer an issue. My advice would be get the study permit just in case
Old Mar 17th 2008, 7:25 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia

yep - us too. They wouldnt let us in on a WP until we applied for a study permit for my school-age kids. The inference was that the kids must attend school and couldnt without a study permit. It only cost about $75 though having said all that.

The silly think was that I wasnt even bringing my kids at that stage - I came out on my own to start work and kids didnt follow on until the PR had come through.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 9:08 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

No charge for kids schooling in NS for WP holders.

We applied for our 2 sons Study Permits at the same time as Mr Y-C-Ds WP and my Open WP - this was recommended by our Consultant.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 1:37 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think the Canadian Immigration process is going to always match what the schools say they will require. The schools in some areas are free to say that they wont need to see a permit or visa, but it is still a requirement I guess at Immigration policy level. And $125 or so per child is going to be cheaper than $5000 for being an International student Crazy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.