Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

TWP and passports

TWP and passports

Old Mar 25th 2008, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

CathynPaul has a spectacular aura aboutCathynPaul has a spectacular aura aboutCathynPaul has a spectacular aura about
Default TWP and passports

Hi this has probably been covered,sorry.
I know I need a current passport that does not expire for 3 years on a TWP we are going out on that with me working however do my kids also need their passport to last 3 years as its going to be darn expensive £200 to renew all 3 any help please.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

lauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to all
Default Re: TWP and passports

hi there

just going through exactly that dilemma I was advised that their permit would only be valid till their passport expires so we renewed the kids last week just waiting to get them back before sending off our TWP apps. I'm not sure what form of docs the kids get if they are not on study permits? But I do know it costs a lot more to renew from Canada so its probably worth doing it from here if you can.

Cheers
Tom
Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

CathynPaul has a spectacular aura aboutCathynPaul has a spectacular aura aboutCathynPaul has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Tom where are you off to we are off to Abbotsford I am a nurse
Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

lauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to all

We are heading for Calgary, wife is a nurse and has a job with Calgary Health. wWe are hoping to head out in July or maybe even June if the timing goes ok. Our kids are 5 and 3 so we definitely want to be out for the new term on 2 September. Which province is Abbotsford in?

Tom
Old May 13th 2008, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

susie q has a spectacular aura aboutsusie q has a spectacular aura aboutsusie q has a spectacular aura about

hi tom
iam also a nurse going to calgary health in august,where is your wife going to work
susie q
Old May 13th 2008, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Susie

Lynne is looking to work in Rockyview Hospital she hasn't been assigned a specific unit yet. She does Ophthalmics here and has asked for Gynae but we wont know for sure till we give them a start date.

Where are you working?

Tom
Old May 13th 2008, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really nice

Originally Posted by CathynPaul
Hi this has probably been covered,sorry.
I know I need a current passport that does not expire for 3 years on a TWP we are going out on that with me working however do my kids also need their passport to last 3 years as its going to be darn expensive £200 to renew all 3 any help please.
We applied for TWP and sent passports, 3 of which expire in the next 2 years and they've returned them with no comment! Don't know whether it's actually a problem. If it is, they didn't say, and we're also going to be stuffed on the cost of applying in Canada to renew them. Aaahhh
Old May 13th 2008, 9:18 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lloydies
We applied for TWP and sent passports, 3 of which expire in the next 2 years and they've returned them with no comment! Don't know whether it's actually a problem. If it is, they didn't say, and we're also going to be stuffed on the cost of applying in Canada to renew them. Aaahhh
Same here. My passport was only valid for a little over 2yrs, and I was issued a 3yr WP.
Old May 13th 2008, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

susie q has a spectacular aura aboutsusie q has a spectacular aura aboutsusie q has a spectacular aura about

hi tom and lynne
im going to foothills medical centre ,on a general surgery/oncology unit if you want to pm me you are more than welcome and we could met up in calgary in the summer
susie
Old May 13th 2008, 9:42 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Renewing your passport early won't leave you out of pocket in the long run.

For example, if you renew a passport which still has a year to run, your new passport is valid for 10 years from the date of expiry of your current one. So your new passport is valid for 11 years, not 10.
Old May 14th 2008, 1:32 am
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Renewing your passport early won't leave you out of pocket in the long run.

For example, if you renew a passport which still has a year to run, your new passport is valid for 10 years from the date of expiry of your current one. So your new passport is valid for 11 years, not 10.
Mmmm, not sure about that.

The UK's Identity and Passport Service say that they'll credit you with up to nine months' unexpired time on a new passport, but no more. See https://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/apply-renewing-when.asp.

They might be a little more generous than they'll admit, but I wouldn't count on getting years added on. Otherwise I could just renew my passport a few times in a row and be set for life.
Old May 14th 2008, 1:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you just carry the expired passport (with TWP in it) together with the new passport?

Not a TWP but my Dad now does this for re-entry to the UK as UK immigration want to see whatever-it-is stamped in his old expired passport.
Old May 14th 2008, 1:48 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Don't you just carry the expired passport (with TWP in it) together with the new passport?

Not a TWP but my Dad now does this for re-entry to the UK as UK immigration want to see whatever-it-is stamped in his old expired passport.
That's what I'd do.
Old May 14th 2008, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

walkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to behold

our kids passports run out next year so we are just going to pop along to Ottawa and renew them, the cost is more ive been told but we just wouldnt get them back in time to go on our TWP if we sent them now.
Old May 14th 2008, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

markan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nice

I've just renewed my sons because he had just under 2 years left. his new passport was credited with 9 months only.