Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

TWP and losing your job

TWP and losing your job

Old Aug 15th 2008, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default TWP and losing your job

I've just had our TWP extended for another 2 years (yipee).... just at the time the Company is thinking of "restructuring" which means they're thinking of moving us elsewhere (boooo!).

I don't want to go, as the kids are settling in nicely. This will mean I'll get canned if I refuse to relocate.

So.... am I allowed to stay on the extended TWP until (if) I find another job? Are my kids allowed to be at school if the visa I hold is no longer valid?

We're about to apply for PR, but have been told it can "take years" even going through Buffalo.

I've also been told that I can't set up a business here because I'm here on a TWP.... all very confusing.

The bottom line is, if I lose my job do we have to quit Canada?

Any advice appreciated.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TWP and losing your job

Originally Posted by geedee
I've just had our TWP extended for another 2 years (yipee).... just at the time the Company is thinking of "restructuring" which means they're thinking of moving us elsewhere (boooo!).

I don't want to go, as the kids are settling in nicely. This will mean I'll get canned if I refuse to relocate.

So.... am I allowed to stay on the extended TWP until (if) I find another job? Are my kids allowed to be at school if the visa I hold is no longer valid?

We're about to apply for PR, but have been told it can "take years" even going through Buffalo.

I've also been told that I can't set up a business here because I'm here on a TWP.... all very confusing.

Any advice appreciated.
I thought you could get expedited pr if you apply thru' London....I think there is something in the Wiki about it.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Fast_T...ication-Canada

Posidrive had to change employers for the same reason.

Last edited by G586; Aug 15th 2008 at 5:17 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 5:46 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice appreciated.

If you quit your current TWP converts to a visitor visa - allowing you to stay in the Country until you find a new job. Not sure about the kids at school thing - but would assume any normal school would let them stay on when you tell them you are looking for another job and normal services will resume asap!
Old Aug 15th 2008, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both for your replies.

G586.... I've sent that page to an immigration lawyer to see what they think (no response yet, amazingly!)

AmyD..... do you know if it changes to a visitor visa then a) is it "automatic" and b) does it last the duration of the WP or only 6 months?

Ta.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

Warren Green is an unknown quantity at this point

Any advice appreciated.
hi Warren Green here first whats your occupation if you are skilled apply now if you have been in the job for 1 year you can apply to Buffalo and all PNP applications are going there and will take6- 8 months.
If you loose your job you need to get another Lmo .
Best to now apply for your PR now

Warren
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Warren Green
hi Warren Green here first whats your occupation if you are skilled apply now if you have been in the job for 1 year you can apply to Buffalo and all PNP applications are going there and will take6- 8 months.
If you loose your job you need to get another Lmo .
Best to now apply for your PR now

Warren
Thanks Warren.

Yes, I've held the job in Canada for one year (next week!). I'm here on a specialized knowledge visa. I got told that Buffalo can still "take years" due to the extra burden on immigration staff (passports needed to visit the states by June next year). But point taken.... better to apply for PR sooner than later. I'm just wondering how I'm going to get the Company to issue the letter saying I'll be employed in Canada forever!!
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

I have read that it is a bad idea to go through buffalo and that they will NOT fast track PR. However, London UK will so send application there.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Warren Green is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Warren.

Yes, I've held the job in Canada for one year (next week!). I'm here on a specialized knowledge visa. I got told that Buffalo can still "take years" due to the extra burden on immigration staff (passports needed to visit the states by June next year). But point taken.... better to apply for PR sooner than later. I'm just wondering how I'm going to get the Company to issue the letter saying I'll be employed in Canada forever!!
Just have the company give you a fulltime job offer with the wage and location in it do it while you can

Warren
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Is it possible to lose your job, stay as a "visitor" and start a business? I seem to remember there was someone on this forum who did something similar, and had to leave when PR didn't come through. Is there a quick avenue if you want to start a business?
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 4:15 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both for your replies.

G586.... I've sent that page to an immigration lawyer to see what they think (no response yet, amazingly!)

AmyD..... do you know if it changes to a visitor visa then a) is it "automatic" and b) does it last the duration of the WP or only 6 months?

Ta.

As far as I know it is still actually a work permit (just one for a job that no longer applies to you), and its still valid to its stated expiration date. The change also wont affect your childrens study status.

Unfortunatly, If you find another job, you will need to get the LMO etc and apply for a work permit for the new position unless its a very closely related position, in which case it might be rubber stamped by HRDC. Im trying to remember the name of the poster in Alberta that happened too...you arent the first person to have this happen.

Good Luck.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 4:27 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
As far as I know it is still actually a work permit (just one for a job that no longer applies to you), and its still valid to its stated expiration date. The change also wont affect your childrens study status.

Unfortunatly, If you find another job, you will need to get the LMO etc and apply for a work permit for the new position unless its a very closely related position, in which case it might be rubber stamped by HRDC. Im trying to remember the name of the poster in Alberta that happened too...you arent the first person to have this happen.

Good Luck.
I believe it is Posidrive you're thinking of Iain.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384175

More threads started by Posidrive his trials actually start around July 8th 2006.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...1&pp=25&page=2
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 4:27 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I believe it is Posidrive you're thinking of Iain.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384175

More threads started by Posidrive his trials actually start around July 8th 2006.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...1&pp=25&page=2
Thats the guy, thanks Steve. Looks like I remembered wrong as he still needed the LMO, but he just applied for the new TWP at the point of (re)entry...

Your second link is broken btw.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 22nd 2008 at 4:31 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 4:52 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Is it possible to lose your job, stay as a "visitor" and start a business? I seem to remember there was someone on this forum who did something similar, and had to leave when PR didn't come through. Is there a quick avenue if you want to start a business?
I didn't lose a job, but came here as a visitor and started a business with a 3yr TWP via an application at the US/Canada border.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Moosemug is an unknown quantity at this point

We applied for PR whilst here on a TWP. We applied to London and wrote on the front of the envelope that we were already employed here (or something like that - can't remember what now). We also enclosed a covering letter asking for an expedited service - pretty please! I can't remember the exact timeline but it was something like applying in October and we went round the flagpole in April. It would have been much quicker if the doctor doing the medical hadn't messed up with the paperwork.

If you applied for PR now you could have it through in a few months then it's no problem changing job.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 5:38 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Your second link is broken btw.
Thanks Iain.

Strange it still works on my computer. Most likely still in the history or something.

It's just a link to all threads started by Posidrive so it can be got to by clicking on his name and going to his profile.