Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Two months to go - getting nervous...

Two months to go - getting nervous...

Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

tyrian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Two months to go - getting nervous...

Hiya,

My move to Waterloo is only about two months away (still waiting for TWP approval to pop through my letterbox), and it's starting to become all too real. I'm getting nervous and am having second thoughts

I'm 33 years old and have no friends or relatives in Canada - so I don't have a support network to fall back on. At the moment I'm stressing about transport, and the logisitics of getting around!

Last minute nerves are to be expected, but has anyone else gone to Canada as a complete newbie, alone and with no friends or family there?

Tyrian
Old Apr 20th 2008, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

san38 has a spectacular aura aboutsan38 has a spectacular aura aboutsan38 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Two months to go - getting nervous...

Hi Tyrian,

What part of Canada is that? I am in the same position as yourself, no family or friends, saying that i have made contact with one person when i first visited last year.

Not to worry once you start work you will find your network of friends, for me i am a christian, so i may meet a network of people through that.

What job position is this? You'll be fine.

What date do you leave? I leave in june 08
Old Apr 20th 2008, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

tyrian is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello san38

Thank you for replying.

Waterloo's in Ontario, not that far from Toronto - where will you be?

I'll be working for a software firm as an application engineer. What will you be doing?

I'm leaving the UK in the middle of June 08 and start work in early July. I'm still waiting for my TWP authorisation to pop through my letterbox (I sent the paperwork off three weeks ago...), and I haven't sorted out an apartment, bank accounts etc.

I have this nagging feeling that there's something BIG that I'm not taking into account, but at the same time working in Canada is an itch I have to scratch - this is an opportunity I'll never get again! Once I get settled in I'm sure that I'll look back and laugh at my initial nerves

Tyrian
Old Apr 20th 2008, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud of

Hi Tyrian

Good Luck with your move, there are several of us due to leave the UK over the next few weeks for Canada, we leave May 16th. We are moving to Red Deer and we don't 'know' anyone there but we are lucky enough to have 'met' Piff Poff on here. We are nervous and excited ..and nervous again I start work 1st June...having abit of an emotional crisis I think today ...It will all work out okay and you will meet friends when you go to work...and you know what? When I think 'what if things don't work out' then I tell myself nothing is irreversible and we will have had an adventure...I am 40 this year.

Good Luck

Julie
Old Apr 20th 2008, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

Hi Tyrian.

Me and my hubby move over in June and we too don't know a soul in Canada. But we will meet people once there, and feel we have to give it a go, like yourself.

We know a welder who moved over without knowing anyone, and he loves it. Goes out with the people from work, has a great time and says it is the best move he ever made.

It'll be fab!
Good luck,
Rachel
Old Apr 20th 2008, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

We moved here 3 weeks ago and didn't really know anyone especially where we are now living but have met lots of really nice friendly people.

Sure you will be fine, just enjoy
Old Apr 20th 2008, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

san38 has a spectacular aura aboutsan38 has a spectacular aura aboutsan38 has a spectacular aura about

Hello again Tyrian,

I am heading off to Vancouver, i am a psychiatric nurse, like you i fly in june 08 and start work in july 08.

I am absolutely terrified, don't really know anything about canadian nursing system, but you know what i will apply the same methods that got me through in the UK.

As for friends/aquaintances that takes time to build, are you married by any chance? Are you going over with your family? Sorry about the questions, the people on this website are so amazing and really help out with alot of questions. To other nurses i will have a daily journal about my new nursing experience.

I am a member of the britishexpat meet up in vancouver even though i am not physically there yet. Anyway not going to bore u anymore but vancouver here iiiiiiiiii come.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

I will be going all on my own. I'm 27 now, if I go next Jan I will just have turned 28 by then. I know one person in Vancouver. But I survived it when I went 5 years ago on my BUNAC visa so I know I can do it. It will be tough at first but in time and with effort and the right approach I'm sure I'll settle in just fine - as will you. Think positive, lots of new places to see and people to meet and lots of new exciting experiences around the corner!